Ryan Walters heading to Memphis

dml7007

$63k? Is that what we're going to be paying the next guy too? Ugh. Looks like we'll have a new CB's coach every year until we have one that is so awful that a program like Memphis doesn't even want him.

Wish we had the funds to keep you around coach Walters. Can't blame you one bit sir. Do us all a favor and either give Dickey a great big hug, or just kick him straight in the nuts. You can only do one or the other though.

We need to decide if we want to play football at this level.

Yes, this is what it comes down to. Dickey was unable to sustain any momentum because his best recruiters and coaches kept getting hire away. We (and by we I mean the alumni of the University, not people on this board) can either let Mac sink in the same pit or try to improve to the next level.

Not that there hasn't been improvement, keep in mind that while 63k seems like nothing it is about twice what some position coaches made under Dickey.

We're not even sure why he is leaving but the same ole' people are ready to doom the program. Damn! Some people cannot be happy for a minute. Why the underlying need to hate on the program?

We don't know why he is leaving but WE DO KNOW that we pay much, much less than Memphis, and much less than what even LaTech pays the same position coach.

We also know that constant position coach turnover was one of the big problems during the bowl years. So why not work on getting that fixed.

• Upvote 4

We don't know why he is leaving but WE DO KNOW that we pay much, much less than Memphis, and much less than what even LaTech pays the same position coach.

We also know that constant position coach turnover was one of the big problems during the bowl years. So why not work on getting that fixed.

This. And it is a problem that continues. If rumors are true (rarely are), we also decided not to hire Fracilla because he asked for too big a salary.

How did doing it on the cheap work out for our basketball program?

Memphis isn't UT. We can't keep paying Sun Belt coaching salaries and expect CUSA championships.

• Upvote 4

Hmmm, more......money? How could we make more.......money?????

Wait.....it's coming to me........

Something that starts with a "M",.... and an...."S",.....

Now, at the HOD bowl there was a lot of something in red on a table and nothing in green and black with a whole shit load of people looking for the green and black. What was it????????

Wait.....it's coming to me........

There was an event back in August that was advertised to about 5 people, and through word of mouth another 40 or so miraculously showed up. Hmmm, what was that event for again?

Wait it'll come to me.

More money? Hmmmm

Rick

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Yes, this is what it comes down to. Dickey was unable to sustain any momentum because his best recruiters and coaches kept getting hire away. We (and by we I mean the alumni of the University, not people on this board) can either let Mac sink in the same pit or try to improve to the next level.

Not that there hasn't been improvement, keep in mind that while 63k seems like nothing it is about twice what some position coaches made under Dickey.

Okay, so explain to me like I'm five:

I understand my MGC membership and donations go to so supposedly support student athlete scholarship funds. Is that truly the case? Or is it more along the lines of a general Athletics pool that allows RV to keep certain sports, athletes on scholly, and Title IX happy while still moving forward in facilities and program investments? I could definitely see it as the latter.

• Upvote 1

Okay, so explain to me like I'm five:

I understand my MGC membership and donations go to so supposedly support student athlete scholarship funds. Is that truly the case? Or is it more along the lines of a general Athletics pool that allows RV to keep certain sports, athletes on scholly, and Title IX happy while still moving forward in facilities and program investments? I could definitely see it as the latter.

You would have to ask the AD for specifics on how MGC money is spent. My understanding is that it's primary function is to pay for the 300+ scholarships the athletic department has to fund. How much exactly is that? I don't know, maybe one of the parents on here can provide some insite.

One thing to remember is that unlike other states, general fund money can not be used to support athletics. UT and aTm pushed that legislation through after they used general fund money to start their programs.

• Upvote 1

Is this his first non grad assistant gig? (Or did misread something?)

Serious question, what is the going rate for a assistant coach in his first full time job for a team at our level?

THIS.

Freaking out that we were paying $63K to a guy in his FIRST coaching position is crazy. What did you make for your first job?

ID wager if Mac thought his leaving was a serious detriment to the team and it was based solely on money Mac would have figured something out. And I don't think Mac is signing an extension for the purpose of being a mediocre program. Soooo…I'm going to trust in Mac.

• Upvote 2

THIS.

Freaking out that we were paying $63K to a guy in his FIRST coaching position is crazy. What did you make for your first job?

He was a non GA defensive back coach at Arizona. He was also one of our top recruiters, which is why Memphis is going to triple his salary. Welcome to college football folks, just because you didn't make that money out of school doesn't mean that isn't what good recruiting position coaches make.

ID wager if Mac thought his leaving was a serious detriment to the team and it was based solely on money Mac would have figured something out. And I don't think Mac is signing an extension for the purpose of being a mediocre program. Soooo…I'm going to trust in Mac.

Mac is a good coach, but he isn't Ben Bernanke. There are no presses in Apogee that print out money. He has a budget, and he has to stay within it. Assistant coach budget is usually included in the head coaches contract. I know Mac just got an extension, and I am really hoping the asst coach was bumped up, but I can guarantee you it wasn't tripled.

Mac has a number, like one million dollars, that all coaches have to be paid out of. He isn't going to be able to pay a DB coach 20% of that budget.

He was a non GA defensive back coach at Arizona. He was also one of our top recruiters, which is why Memphis is going to triple his salary. Welcome to college football folks, just because you didn't make that money out of school doesn't mean that isn't what good recruiting position coaches make.

Mac is a good coach, but he isn't Ben Bernanke. There are no presses in Apogee that print out money. He has a budget, and he has to stay within it. Assistant coach budget is usually included in the head coaches contract. I know Mac just got an extension, and I am really hoping the asst coach was bumped up, but I can guarantee you it wasn't tripled.

Mac has a number, like one million dollars, that all coaches have to be paid out of. He isn't going to be able to pay a DB coach 20% of that budget.

i think you missed my point. It was: He wasn't a highly regarded good recruiting, positional coach until here. So freaking out that we were paying an unproven coach $63K is silly. Today, it makes more sense that he might command $200k but when he came on board here? People would have been gnashing their teeth about the outrageous fortunes a "nobody" was making.

Why did he leave Zona?

If Walters left and was able to more than double what UNT was paying him, then I can't be mad at the guy. He has to take care of his family too. Did we get to make a counter offer?

If he left because Memphis pays that much better then North Texas, then we have a major problem, and will continue to have issues engaging are sizable alumni base, gaining respect from local media outlets, and challenging for the upper level recruits in DFW. We can't afford to lose our football coaches to Memphis or any other non-BCS program. It sends a bad message to recruits, our alums, and everyone else that follows college football.

Do we want to be perceived as a serious college football program, or a farm team for the AAC?

It's that simple.

Edited by Side Show Joe
  • Upvote 1

If Walters left and was able to more than double what UNT was paying him, then I can't be mad at the guy. He has to take care of his family too. Did we get to make a counter offer?

If he left because Memphis pays that much better then North Texas, then we have a major problem, and will continue to have issues engaging are sizable alumni base, gaining respect from local media outlets, and challenging for the upper level recruits in DFW. We can't afford to lose our football coaches to Memphis or any other non-BCS program. It sends a bad message to recruits, our alums, and everyone else that follows college football.

Do we want to be perceived as a serious college football program, or a farm team for the AAC?

It's that simple.

Seems to me like this guy just left because we weren't paying him much.

Judging by the level of assistants we have with Patrick, Skladany and Chico, I'm going to assume most make a lot of money. Seems like his age and lack of experience is why he got paid so little.

Settle down.

Edited by meangreener
  • Upvote 1

If want to play with the big boys and grow your program you have to ante up eventually.

For those of you that mentioned Duane Akina you are living a dream. He can't afford to take this job. That would mean taking a couple of thousand less than he made at Texas. He was making $400,000 there. Probably got a severance package so makes no sense for him to come.

We are looking at a guy trying to make a name for himself or and old crony of Mac.

• Upvote 2

If want to play with the big boys and grow your program you have to ante up eventually.

For those of you that mentioned Duane Akina you are living a dream. He can't afford to take this job. That would mean taking a couple of thousand less than he made at Texas. He was making $400,000 there. Probably got a severance package so makes no sense for him to come.

We are looking at a guy trying to make a name for himself or and old crony of Mac.

I think an old Mac crony who has already made his cash is best.

• Upvote 1

Seems like his age and lack of experience is why he got paid so little.

Settle down.

Except, of course, that we wanted to keep him. He is one of our best recruiters. Let's not put a spin on this.

We wanted him to stay, and there was no way we could match the offer. That offer wasn't from Texas or USC or Ohio St. It was Memphis. Lets fix this anyway we can.

• Upvote 1