GMG.com St. Patrick's Day Parade in Dallas

greenjoe

Now that the dust has settled on the Heart of Dallas Bowl and the Christmas decorations are stored for another 9 months, I'd like to talk about a GOMEANGREEN promotion in the St. Patrick's Day Parade in Dallas.

North Texas has another opportunity to sell itself in the area with a presence in Dalllas. And who knows more about being green than North Texas fans.

It seems to me that first, we need to decide if this is worth doing and if so, how do we pay for it. I understand the entry fee is $500. Next, what sort of entry do we do ? Is there a warehouse in the parade area we could use for a month to build a float ? And we'll need workers and riders. And green candy to throw to the thousands of cheering Mean Green fans.

Please discuss among yourselves. But discuss it quickly. St. Patty Day is a'coming.

Beat Texas

GO MEAN GREEN

• Upvote 1

Now that the dust has settled on the Heart of Dallas Bowl and the Christmas decorations are stored for another 9 months, I'd like to talk about a GOMEANGREEN promotion in the St. Patrick's Day Parade in Dallas.

North Texas has another opportunity to sell itself in the area with a presence in Dalllas. And who knows more about being green than North Texas fans.

It seems to me that first, we need to decide if this is worth doing and if so, how do we pay for it. I understand the entry fee is $500. Next, what sort of entry do we do ? Is there a warehouse in the parade area we could use for a month to build a float ? And we'll need workers and riders. And green candy to throw to the thousands of cheering Mean Green fans.

Please discuss among yourselves. But discuss it quickly. St. Patty Day is a'coming.

Beat Texas

GO MEAN GREEN

Joe...you heading this up? If so, I'll help anyway I can. And, if so, what's next?

I am in to assist as well! Wouldn't it be cool for Coach or some players to be hoisting that big ole Heart of Dallas hardware as the fans cheer and drink as the floats roll by.

GMG

Could happen...just needs someone to head it up, organize everyone, raise the funds, etc., etc. Greenjoe might be our guy here...but, like he said...someone needs to step forward ASAP or it will be too late.

Could happen...just needs someone to head it up, organize everyone, raise the funds, etc., etc. Greenjoe might be our guy here...but, like he said...someone needs to step forward ASAP or it will be too late.

Any chance it could be someone already PAID as their regular job to head this up, so that loyal customers such as yourself or greenjoe don't have to?

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

I live a block off Greenville. We can decorate the float in the front and have a cookout in the back with post parade party to follow. Then you market the Mean Green float around campus and tell all the students to come cheer it on. You get some of those Dallas bowl followers since we will be in their neighborhood again.

Marketing PR potential here.

GMG

• Upvote 1

I was thinking a weather proof "warehouse" where we could work a little at a time, protect the project from the elements, and be easily transported the day of the parade. I think it should be indoors.

i like the idea of Coach MaC and as many players and the HoD trophy being in the parade as well.

My thought was a float, not a car with crepe paper streamers, with something to say (ie. Mean Green HoD Bowl champs, 'We know green', etc).

Please ask friends if they know of a place around Greenville we could borrow for a short time.

North Texas-Dallas' Team

Beat Texas

GO MEAN GREEN

Indeed we will be champions for the next 8 months before football distraction. Every day matters. Join an organization wear your mean green gear continue making suggestions whether they go anywhere or not recruit new season tix holders plan tailgates 14 make plans for away games when schedule out bring back dormant alums. No one will outwork the mean green nation in 2014!

GMG

Mean Green Model A?

Rick

Perfect. Perhaps pulling a trailer full of cheerleaders throwing green candy. With our school colors, we should always be represented in the St. Patrick's Day Parade.

This is a great idea. We have annual threads about things we can do as fans to market the team and this is the best idea I've seen yet.

Low cost, easy to do, and it involves tailgating.

Couple of thoughts. This could be a fund raiser of GMG.com, assumming Harry and Co. want to do this.

Management Team (GMG.com): signs up for the float spot, sets up registration/donation paypal style account.

Construction Team (Volunteers): truck to pull the float, the float, decorates the float, transports the float to the parade.

Riding Team (Paid members): Pays $50* per rider to cover float construction costs, throws/give-a-ways, and GMG.com banner.

*construction team members can be given a rider discount.

Donations (anyone): As part of the registration/donation system folks should be able to donate funds to help defer cost and increase the number of throws/give-a-ways.

I'm down to help build, ride, and donate. So PM me to get this started.

• Upvote 1

Perfect. Perhaps pulling a trailer full of cheerleaders throwing green candy. With our school colors, we should always be represented in the St. Patrick's Day Parade.

I wouldn't count on the sad little Model A to be pulling anything more than an extension cord.

• Upvote 3

Greenjoe...call me. I have the info on the float we discussed Sunday. It is a possibility and costs do not seem out of line.

With the pledges of support here, should be doable. We need to chat. Call me.

• Upvote 1

Greenjoe...call me. I have the info on the float we discussed Sunday. It is a possibility and costs do not seem out of line.

With the pledges of support here, should be doable. We need to chat. Call me.

I would be willing to make a small $ contribution towards the cost of this project.

I would be willing to make a small $ contribution towards the cost of this project.

as would I. You can't throw anything from the floats but if we could get the cheerleaders out they could pass out stuff to the crowd. Koozies are the first thing that come to mind and maybe the AD has a couple thousand laying around. Candy gets devoured....Koozies get reused until they are lost or fall apart.

Just a head's up folks...the date of the parade (March 15th) is at the tail end of the CUSA basketball tournament in El Paso. Not, at all, indicating that the Mean Green might make it that far...yet the slim possibility exists. But, either way, many of the Athletic folks, Cheer Squad members, Alumni staff and folks from all across the campus such as Student Affairs will be working on the tournament stuff and the tournament logistics the weeks and days leading up to the tournament and many will actually be directly involved and traveling to and from the tournament.

In no way would this stop this project from taking place, but it is a factor when one is thinking of utilizing some of these resources.

Just means Greenjoe will have to do a bit more coordinating and we will need additional volunteers. Shouldn't be a problem.

This could turn out to be a really great Mean Green annual event!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1