Famous alumni

Cr1028

Everybody please don't feel bad if you don't get a response from a lot of the famous alumni. A lot of them get so many messages and fan mail that they often don't even have time to sift through all of it let alone check to see if you're somebody they remember from college. When Brandon Rogers was in the middle of his American Idol season, my wife and I both emailed him good luck wishes and he didn't get back to us for almost a year because everything was so hectic with the schedule and he was getting so many messages from random people.

The former players are obviously the most likely to come, and Peter Weller has been pretty involved lately so it stands to reason that he could make an appearance. But for a lot of the others, the best way is for someone in an official University capacity to reach out to managers, agents, and schedulers because that would render the greatest likelihood of not only the message getting through, but also the greatest likelihood of actually getting them to an event.

I'm not saying NOT to hit them up on Twitter and Facebook, because obviously that CAN work. I just hope you don't take it personally if they don't get back to you and wanted to point out the other avenue by which to do so, IF someone with the proper resources could be persuaded to do so. Since we don't know if that has been done yet, good job on the efforts to get it done via the alternative social networking route.

Has anyone reached out to our famous alumni about putting the HoD word out? I was thinking we could see if folks like the Eli Young band could make a social media post letting their fans know about the bowl and they should check it out. Was Bowling for Soup comprised of former UNT students? Just spitballing here if we have alums with a large following that could help us out.

I know the TV anchor helped us out but are there any others that have?

Has anyone reached out to our famous alumni about putting the HoD word out? I was thinking we could see if folks like the Eli Young band could make a social media post letting their fans know about the bowl and they should check it out. Was Bowling for Soup comprised of former UNT students? Just spitballing here if we have alums with a large following that could help us out.

I know the TV anchor helped us out but are there any others that have?

HOD Bowl should have the Eli Young Band as the halftime show and advertise accordingly.

• Upvote 3

HOD Bowl should have the Eli Young Band as the halftime show and advertise accordingly.

According to their website they have a show in Pharr Texas on Dec 28 and their next gig is on Jan 24th. Of course they could also have a private show for New Years that isn't being shown...

http://www.eliyoungband.com/tourdates

You know, a photographic gallery of famous alumni in the new union would be nice. By the way, has anyone mentioned Don January? "Old Bones" has always supported his alma mater and his grandson was or is on the football team.

45822-jon-stewart-mind-blown-gif-DF98.gi

A one-character post from PMG. Did the galaxy just implode?

This is HOF, pizza-level, best-answer-by-far-in-this-thread, you-know-what-i'm-digging material if there ever was such.

Quick, someone write a song and save a Green Line seat for this man. This must've taken years of planning and a 80%+ heart-rate effort.

Awe shucks, fellas....greenminer and Jon, too!

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2

According to their website they have a show in Pharr Texas on Dec 28 and their next gig is on Jan 24th. Of course they could also have a private show for New Years that isn't being shown...

http://www.eliyoungband.com/tourdates

As awesome as that would be, it would likely take a lot more planning time than we're able to offer. Too bad we're not one of the teams like BYU or Army that knows their bowl by mid-season if their record looks good. The EYB is definitely supportive, but you have to remember that especially when bands are in their heyday, when you're in between legs of your tour a lot of times that interlude is already scheduled up with non-performance related stuff, like a little studio time, charity work, promotions/interviews, etc., and a lot of that still requires travel time in addition to the time spent on the actual engagements. Again, if somebody had an "in" with whoever does their scheduling, there would be a better shot at trying to snag a quick afternoon with them if there's a chance they'll be available for that date. Additionally, they may have contractual requirements that don't allow for large-scale performances outside of those already scheduled during the period of that contract. Otherwise they might have already offered.

I would assume he'd be too busy tidying up after what I'm sure will be an extravagant NYE party thrown at Ernie's house.

Ernie will most likely be supporting UNT by attending one of the events being sponsored by the University. Probably the one where "cocktail attire is required" and hosted by President Rawlins I would imagine. Fancy affair I am told at the Omni.

Would be nice to have a simple TV spot for the HOD Bowl, ending with one celebrity after another simply saying "Go Mean Green", nothing more... Be really cool to see some of those celebs that WE know went to UNT but would make others say I didn't know _____ went to UNT!"

Joe Greene, Lance Dunbar, Thomas Hayden Church, Don Henley, Nora Jones, etc etc etc.

Would be nice to have a simple TV spot for the HOD Bowl, ending with one celebrity after another simply saying "Go Mean Green", nothing more... Be really cool to see some of those celebs that WE know went to UNT but would make others say I didn't know _____ went to UNT!"

Joe Greene, Lance Dunbar, Thomas Hayden Church, Don Henley, Nora Jones, etc etc etc.

Sounds good...great idea. Question...would it make you buy a ticket if you were not otherwise considering going? This sort of thing rarely, if ever, has any impact on my buying habits. But, that is just me. Advertising works or folks wouldn't do it, but do celebs of any ilk actually make any positive difference over just another sort of ad in bowl situations? I don't know. I know it doesn't impact me, but does it others?