Wayland Baptist (12/21/13)

CMJ

I might have kinda sorta rooted against the home football team for the first seven games of 2010, but only for the greater long-term good.

And 3 years later we're going to a bowl game. What if I told you that if we suck enough this year to get Benford fired we would have a tournament team just a season or two after getting our new head coach? Would you root against our team?

Would you rather see us go 9-22 or 15-16? The first one is a worse record, but the second one lets us keep Benford around for at least another year of mediocrity and having none of his high school recruits actually make it on the court for games.

Such is the dilemma of cheering for a team stuck in basketball purgatory. Cheer for short term losses in exchange for a shot at long term success, or cheer for meaningless wins against NAIA schools which prolong the mediocrity.

• Upvote 1

And 3 years later we're going to a bowl game. What if I told you that if we suck enough this year to get Benford fired we would have a tournament team just a season or two after getting our new head coach? Would you root against our team?

Would you rather see us go 9-22 or 15-16? The first one is a worse record, but the second one lets us keep Benford around for at least another year of mediocrity and having none of his high school recruits actually make it on the court for games.

Such is the dilemma of cheering for a team stuck in basketball purgatory. Cheer for short term losses in exchange for a shot at long term success, or cheer for meaningless wins against NAIA schools which prolong the mediocrity.

The sad part in all of this (and there are actually quite a few people who vehemently disagree with this): The current players now suffer the most because it manifests itself in a lack of support for them.

Players, please don't get it twisted. Most of us are fans of YOU!

• Upvote 1

The sad part in all of this (and there are actually quite a few people who vehemently disagree with this): The current players now suffer the most because it manifests itself in a lack of support for them.

Players, please don't get it twisted. Most of us are fans of YOU!

Exactly. I still like going to these games to see guys like J Williams and TJ Taylor put on shows. We have some high-end talent on this team.
  • Upvote 1

Exactly. I still like going to these games to see guys like J Williams and TJ Taylor put on shows. We have some high-end talent on this team.

Kind of. We have some talented players with high-ceilings, but who have needed someone to help refine that talent. Take Jordan Williams...someone should've been in his ear long ago that he shouldn't be leading the team in 3 point attempts. Or Chris Jones...sometimes the simple pass is the best pass. Or Armani Flanigan...I don't know, under-hand free throw attempts?

There's a title for that someone...

• Upvote 1

Kind of. We have some talented players with high-ceilings, but who have needed someone to help refine that talent. Take Jordan Williams...someone should've been in his ear long ago that he shouldn't be leading the team in 3 point attempts. Or Chris Jones...sometimes the simple pass is the best pass. Or Armani Flanigan...I don't know, under-hand free throw attempts?

There's a title for that someone...

A wizard?