UNT moves forward on Hotel and Convention Center deal

Harry

I cannot, at this time, imagine what the complaints will be. However, after having it out over here (http://www.occupy.com/article/exposed-university-president-lied-students-about-fracking-school-property) for a little while, I am sure that there will be students belly-aching about how this is a bad thing. They'll say, "Why are we spending money on this instead of the world's biggest and best music building ever?" And someone will point out that UNT isn't paying for this project, the university is just on the lease. Then, because they can't be wrong, they'll try to argue that UNT should force the city to give us the money for this project to use for a new art building.

Sorry, I just realized that this is actually a ramble and not a contribution to the thread. I guess I'm a little jaded and saddened when I witness how illogical and needlessly pissy some of the people I went/go to school with can be. Maybe they can do something with the convention center to appease the hippies!

Not worth the time with these losers from Occupy.

• Upvote 2

This is a big perception positive when you look at the apogee complex in sum total. Bringing recruits to a "complex" with this facility added to it increases the wow factor.

And the wow factor can never be under-estimated, especially when you can put your HS & JUCO recruits on official visits in that hotel over-looking Apogee Stadium.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 3

And thus a reason to build an indoor practice facility close to the hotel/conventions center when its finally gets built, too? Is there room?

And such a venue would need to match the brick (or general appearance) of the ones it would complement, too, right?

Of course this would be several years out.........but the college and the city both have a potential need for this facility. Why not do an outstanding joint venture instead of separate and less impressive facilities. The city gets the ability to host car shows, boat shows, and industrial trade shows. North Texas gets a first class indoor practice facility and a facility to hold pregame and postgame parties and concerts.

In an ideal situation, don't build it near Apogee Stadium, build it as part of Apogee Stadium.

Imagine a huge convention hall / indoor practice facility attached directly to the stadium during the east side-luxury box expansion part of this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lAytJiCoSs . The availability of such a large convention hall could be the amenity that would make Denton a better selection than all the other surrounding cities which only offer the hotel and conference centers option for conventions.

Build it attached to the stadium and attached to the planned convention center and hotel.

Essentially, the showroom/practice facility would cover much of the property between the stadium and the planned convention center.

overlay.jpg

• Upvote 1

I cannot, at this time, imagine what the complaints will be. However, after having it out over here (http://www.occupy.com/article/exposed-university-president-lied-students-about-fracking-school-property) for a little while, I am sure that there will be students belly-aching about how this is a bad thing. They'll say, "Why are we spending money on this instead of the world's biggest and best music building ever?" And someone will point out that UNT isn't paying for this project, the university is just on the lease. Then, because they can't be wrong, they'll try to argue that UNT should force the city to give us the money for this project to use for a new art building.

Sorry, I just realized that this is actually a ramble and not a contribution to the thread. I guess I'm a little jaded and saddened when I witness how illogical and needlessly pissy some of the people I went/go to school with can be. Maybe they can do something with the convention center to appease the hippies!

Dude, I can give you a laundry list of logical retorts and explanations whenever you get in these pissing matches.

• Upvote 3

Dude, I can give you a laundry list of logical retorts and explanations whenever you get in these pissing matches.

Yeah, but logic will never prevail with people who think they've won because they've yelled the loudest. I finally got past it and left it behind. It's not easy for me to stand idly by and let stupid take the day, though.

• 1 month later...

Harry, I was told last summer that the new facility would take up a significant part of The Hill. I am not sure what adjustments will have to be made but I think they will be big ones.

I don't see how a Hotel and convention center wouldn't take up a big part of "The Hill". You can't have Hotels and Convention centers without lots of parking space.

I don't see how a Hotel and convention center wouldn't take up a big part of "The Hill". You can't have Hotels and Convention centers without lots of parking space.

I think the Pedestrian Bridge will come in handy for those who will also be coming to conventions in Denton. It's really not that far a walk from that side of the interstate.

I am more concerned with the need for more roads in and out of the Mean Green Village on Game Days because once we start filling that stadium getting in and out is going to be a pain in the butt.

GMG!

• Upvote 2

How much of the hill do we really actually take up, though? Even if this construction takes up a huge amount of the hill, it is mostly unused space and IMPO will help bring that area together a little better. The obvious tough issue to work out is how drop-offs will work going forward. The old, unused, Radison lot was always used for this, but it seems like it will be unavailable, or limited going forward.

The project will include:

At minimum a 9 story Embassy suites hotel: http://en.wikipedia....y_Suites_Hotels

An adjacent Houilihan's restaurant: http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Houlihan's

At minimum a 100,000 square foot convention center

Wonder if we can do something other than Houlihan's. I was not impressed with that place at all when I was up north on business. It's like TGIFridays or Chilis.

• Upvote 1