Rice vs UAB: gReat OT Game

LongJim

We did get a little love from the USAF/UNLV announcers. They were talking about the teams with the longest bowl droughts. They were pointing out Tulane and UNLV ending their droughts, then said, "And don't forget the Mean Green of North Texas.." No cheap shots, no "State", No Eagles. They got our school name, and mascot right, and didn't say anything negative, on ESPN.

Time to go call 911, think I'm about to have a heart attack.

Ty4uLB5.jpg

Rick

Plus, this kills any chance that UTSA would have of winning the division.

Sorry guys, but you are incorrect.

We never needed uab to beat Rice, we need Tulane to beat rice.

We are still on track with a win over you guys, a win over La Tech, and a Tulane win over Rice.

Sorry to burst your bubble.

We are still on track with a win over you guys, a win over La Tech, and a Tulane win over Rice.

You have way too much confidence in Tulane. I'm pretty sure, much to the surprise of some folks, that the Tulane/UTEP game is going to be a real battle. I easily see Tulane finishing the season with two more losses -- UTEP and Rice.

You have way too much confidence in Tulane. I'm pretty sure, much to the surprise of some folks, that the Tulane/UTEP game is going to be a real battle. I easily see Tulane finishing the season with two more losses -- UTEP and Rice.

The best you could do is tie rice now, and they hold the tiebreaker. Unless it was a three-way tie between us, you guys, and Rice. Which wouldn't be in your favor either.

It'll all be a moot point after tomorrow though.

The game is played on the field. And the poster said our chances were over. That is not the case. I was merely stating that our chance still exists.

The best you could do is tie rice now, and they hold the tiebreaker. Unless it was a three-way tie between us, you guys, and Rice. Which wouldn't be in your favor either.

It'll all be a moot point after tomorrow though.

Incorrect again. The 3-way tie is our goal (even a 4-way tie with Tulane too).

UTSA would hold the tiebreaker over all other teams... Look it up.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/c-usa/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/tiebraker.pdf

Divisional tiebreaker:

Two-team or multiple team tie for divisional champion
1. Highest regular season winning percentage based on overall Conference USA play.
2. If tied, head to head between tied teams.
3. If still tied, highest winning percentage within division.
4. If still tied, compare records against divisional opponents in descending order of finish.
5. If still tied, compare records with common cross-divisional opponents.
6. If still tied, compare records against cross-divisional opponents in descending order of
finish.
7. If still tied, team with highest BCS ranking.
8. If still tied, the representative will be the team that has not participated in the championship
game most recently.
9. If at any point the tie is broken in a multiple team tie, the remaining teams will begin the
process again at #2
In order for there to be a 3 or 4-way tie the follow must happen:
NT loses to UTSA and defeats Tulsa.
Rice loses to Tulane.
Tulane must win out.
UTSA must win out.
That would put everyone at a 6-2 conference record. I think UTSA would win due to them having the fewest losses to division opponents coupled with having the head to head over Tulane.
UTSA - 1 loss to a division opponent (Rice).
Tulane - 1 loss to a division opponent (UTSA).
Rice - 2 losses to division opponents (North Texas and Tulane).
North Texas - 2 losses to division opponents (UTSA and Tulane).
North Texas defeating UTSA means UTSA is eliminated from the division race. North Texas winning against Tulsa eliminates all tiebreaker scenarios and makes the Mean Green the Division Champs. NT losing to Tulsa opens the door for other teams depending on how things play out.

Don't fret. Your bubble will be burst tomorrow. Patience young Jedi. :crazysmile:

And for you rubes who are always clamoring for us to go to the Mountain West conference, check out that pathetic, fridged, empty scene between UNLV and Air Force on ESPNU that no one here in Texas will see other than in a tiny bi-line on the back page of the paper on Saturday morning.

NO THANKS!!!!!

Rick

Yeah, because being 12 degrees outside, on a Thursday night, with a 2-win team playing powerhouse UNLV is normal for the AFA...

Its funny, I remember when TCU played AFA up there and lost in OT a few years back on a Thursday night. Both teams were ranked. It was a full house.

Yeah, I cannot wait to go play at UAB, Charlotte, Old Dominion, F_U, Western Kentucky Marshall, or MUTS again. Those games are WAAAYYYY closer than those games way out west, especially against those spare programs like Fresno State, Boise State, Nevada, etc...Who would want to ever play in a conference with ranked teams that can get into BCS bowls? CUSA is much better--because we can travel to see games in Ruston, El Paso, San Antonio, and Houston. Never mind that none of the schools in this league currently or previously, have ever been to a BCS bowl game.///sarcasm

I'm sorry, but I can get people out to Apogee and the Super Pit to watch games against Hawaii, San Diego State, Nevada, Boise State, Fresno State, Colorado State, AFA, New Mexico, UNLV, Wyoming, Utah State, and San Jose State. The only game I could get anyone to attend this season was UTEP, you know, since people have heard of them, even though they are terrible. Granted, Rice would have been a game people would go watch if it hadn't been on Halloween, but the point remains. We think too small time about the future of the program and where we want it to be. TCU fans and administration showed us what winning in the MWC can do for a program that is really not on par with the AQs in funding or support. I have no doubt that if the right perosnnel and recruits were in play, that UNT would be able to enjoy similar success as the Frogs did in the MWC, with their 12k enrollment.

Ask yourself this--if we were playing the AFA this weekend in Denton, who tremendously sucks this year, would we draw more people to Apogee than playing UTSA at home? The answer seems fairly obvious, to me.

Edited by untjim1995

Ask yourself this--if we were playing the AFA this weekend in Denton, who tremendously sucks this year, would we draw more people to Apogee than playing UTSA at home? The answer seems fairly obvious, to me.

UTSA is nothing like AFA. UTSA is closer to F_U teams. Lets make an apples/apples comparison, not apples/car engine comparison.

I stand corrected. I posted that already assuming Rice would beat Tulane. I still don't think tulane has a shot, but you never know

Yeah, I cannot wait to go play at UAB, Charlotte, Old Dominion, F_U, Western Kentucky Marshall, or MUTS again. Those games are WAAAYYYY closer than those games way out west, especially against those spare programs like Fresno State, Boise State, Nevada, etc...

That's great an all, but UNT only plays 2 east division CUSA teams per year, right?

• Upvote 1

The Big West sucked. Been there done that. Why people cant learn from history I'll never know?

Rick

It sucked because it had brand new teams to 1-A (Nevada, Boise State, UNT) and bad teams in 1-A (Utah State, Idaho, and NMSU) that no one cared about.

Boise State today at Apogee would probably bring a sellout. This year's Fresno State team would too. The BIg West in 1995 looked a lot like the WAC did last year before it got put out of its final misery. The MWC of today combined the greatest teams from the WAC and put them together with the teams that had no options to move upward in the MWC. Seriously? Look at the comparison between these two leagues:

CUSA in 2014 MWC 2014

North Texas Fresno State

La Tech Boise State

UTSA San Diego State

Rice Hawaii

Southern Miss Nevada

UTEP UNLV

UAB Colorado State

Marshall New Mexico

Western Kentucky Wyoming

Middle Tennessee Air Force

Florida Atlantic Utah State

Florida International San Jose State

Charlotte

Old Dominion

Its not close, people, in either football or basketball. Not at all. The best hoops teams in the new CUSA will probably be WKU or ODU. These schools make the tournament and immediately get seeded in double digits. UNM (granted, they choke every year in the tournament), SDSU, and UNLV last year made the tournament and were all seeded in single digits. Football isn't close either. Boise State needs no explanantion. Fresno State seems to have finally found the season to beat everyone they play, both in OOC and in conference, and Hawaii has made a BCS bowl. At various times over the years, Nevada, Air Force, Colorado State, San Jose State, Utah State, and Wyoming have had great teams, ones that have gotten ranked fairly highly.

In CUSA of 2014, La Tech, USM, and Marshall have been ranked in the last decade at some point. I'm sorry, but this is just not close, which is funny because the "closeness" is the only con against this league for us to be apart of it. But, if you go over there with another school, say UTEP or UTSA, I think it would be a huge opportunity for us to play teams that have MUCH higher reputations in college sports than who we will play in CUSA going forward.

Its porbably a moot point, anyway. I'm still fairly certain that the MWC will get back in Texas by adding some combo of UH, SMU, UTEP, and UTSA eventually.

Edited by untjim1995