Rice Fan thinks ECU and Marshall would crush UNT

Harry

"(Rant from Rice fan)...UNT did not snap the ball past 40-yd line the entire game but beat Rice and Rice dominated stat sheet. Against common opponents..Rice has won by more margin. But all that matters is UNT won... I think UNT would lose 8 out of 10 times to Rice on neutral field but that is an academic/esoteric debate and irrelevant. We showed-up last night against La Tech and plenty of other times this season but did not show-up when it mattered in Denton. Marshall and ECU fans should be happy...they both will crush UNT."

Read more: http://csnbbs.com/showthread.php?tid=661473

The pro-Marshall/ECU fans forget that scoring can still happen on defense and on special teams. Sure, you can tie the UNT offense and match them score-for-score, but that means nothing when the UNT defense and special teams have another 14 points on the board.

That said, I think Marshall is a paper tiger. Nice stats offensively, but most of those stats were earned against weak, weak teams. And while they score well, their defense was horrific against MTSU. The same MTSU our team took apart on offense and especially on defense. ECU is another story - they look like the most legitimate team that CUSA-East has. No one else in that division comes close. ECU would definitely give our team a run for their money and probably win.

Oh, and the guy who thought Rice was the better team? That "the better team didn't win" argument would work in a game won or lost by 3-7 points. That would work when the officials gave the winning team a possession they didn't earn or called a penalty a that negatived a big play. It doesn't work with a score gap as big as the Rice/UNT game, and it doesn't work when the officials gift the losing team an additional 4 opportunities to score on the goal line and the losing team can't make it happen.

Edited by meangreendork
  • Upvote 2

"(Rant from Rice fan)...UNT did not snap the ball past 40-yd line the entire game but beat Rice and Rice dominated stat sheet. Against common opponents..Rice has won by more margin. But all that matters is UNT won... I think UNT would lose 8 out of 10 times to Rice on neutral field but that is an academic/esoteric debate and irrelevant. We showed-up last night against La Tech and plenty of other times this season but did not show-up when it mattered in Denton. Marshall and ECU fans should be happy...they both will crush UNT."

Sour Grapes???

• Upvote 1

Sounds like he's already forgotten about the defense. I bet McHargue and co. haven't.

• Upvote 1

I don't know how Tulane put up 36 points on E.C.U., or Old Dominion 38 points, but E.C.U. is still probably best in C.U.S.A. Regarding Marshall, their biggest win YTD is a one point victory over FAU coupled with a 2 point loss at MTSU. While is it's doubtful that The Heard can stay on the field with the Pirates, stranger things have happened.I think we could take care of Marshall,ECU is another matter. I just hope we don't overlook UTSA this Saturday.Their 5 losses are against very good teams ;Houston,Rice, Marshall,.Arizona,& Oklahoma. St.,

He's not wrong. Our offense is the only thing standing between us an historic season. Imagine if we'd been able to score points in Georgia? What would that game have looked like? Sure we wouldn't have lost to Tulane nor Ohio.

Whether or not our defense can carry the rest of the way and beat an ECU or Marshall remains to be seen. "Crush" is probably a bit of an overstatement, however.

Edited by Eagle1855
  • Upvote 2

Dominated the stat sheet? BS. They had 102 more total yards than we did, and if you add in kick/punt returns, they gained us by a mere 42 yards. If we had not sat on the lead and played ultra-conservative football, we likely would had out gained them in all categories. They need to rethink the definition of the word "dominated."

• Upvote 2