Mac just called us out...and he's right!

BIG DAWG

A UNT Football Attendance Manifesto (from an admitted Sunday Morning QB)

(Posted as a thread with alterations, but thanks. Harry, and to others of your support in agreeing with most of what I said in the original post). Our hearts are in the right place with this, fellow alums.and in your heart you now I'm right with that. I know many of you as far as where you stand and how you stand tall for this program! Kudos to all!

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

I agree, win Thursday and let's aim for soldout homecoming.

That being said, atmosphere Thursday will be electric. Rolling out stuff on Monday. Need to get this done, would love for a sellout Thursday.

Weather Underground is by far the most accurate. 0% chance. Local channels say 0%. Weather.com is pretty much it, btw.

Edited by meangreener

Expecting an overly large crowd on Halloween is a bit ambitious. I would be happy with 20k but not surprised to see less. We won't make it from Tulsa of course, but are planning on being there for Homecoming and will be at the game here in Tulsa as well.

Plumm is right, it takes a lot of work to fill a stadium and if the rest of the department (promotions, sponsorships, marketing) aren't doing their job it won't happen.

Expecting an overly large crowd on Halloween is a bit ambitious. I would be happy with 20k but not surprised to see less. We won't make it from Tulsa of course, but are planning on being there for Homecoming and will be at the game here in Tulsa as well.

Plumm is right, it takes a lot of work to fill a stadium and if the rest of the department (promotions, sponsorships, marketing) aren't doing their job it won't happen.

Trust me, there are so many things I would much rather be wrong about and attendance would be at the top of that list.

This UNT Coaching Staff and fabulous Mean Green football team deserve SRO at Apogee every Game Day truth be told.

Can we find just 31,000 fans out of 8 million who live in the North Texas Metroplex? Why is that so difficult for us? We have this terrifically huge head start in doing such with our enormous enrollment and DFW alumnus numbers. I sorta' understood why we were where we were in the early to mid 70's but not in 2013; our entire UNT constituency is almost 2 to 3 X's larger now.

If you've ever played the game even at just the HS level, you would know how important playing in front of a large crowd can be for your team.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

We have 5-7000 kids living ON CAMPUS, and no telling how many more thousands of apartment dwellers within a minutes drive.

The promotions need to be pointed right at them.

Giving away a free car is a good start. Who couldn't use a new free car?

Rick

Agreed we have a student body that is larger than the capacity of the stadium, a great place to start. I am hoping for a good attendance this Thursday, I think a 3 game winning streak can't hurt. I can't make this one but I have given my seats away in hopes that my seats are filled. Halloween on a week night is definitely a challenge,

Student IDs are scanned - no reason you can't offer to pay a semester's tuition for one student each game.

Awarded with 10:00 minutes left in the 4th quarter, must be present to win.

No reason at all....like it!

Not a bad idea at all...who pays? Athletic Dept? Student Affairs? President's office? Advancement? Donors?

What's included? Just tuition? Tuition and fees? Tuition, fees and books? For how many hours? 12... The min. Full time undergrad? 15... The number many take? Or, how ever many hours the winning student is taking that semester...or do you award for the following semester? If so...how do you handle the winning student who is graduating in Dec. and, thus, in his/her last semester? Would grad students be eligible? Out of State students or is this only for in-state tuition? Big difference in cost between the two, right? What if the winner is already on scholarship? Is the award reduced by the amount of the existing scholarship?

What would be done to promote this and where and how often and by what means and media? Who would be in charge of running this promo each year? Who pays for the promotion on top of the cost for the award..could add significant costs depending on how it is done and how often and what media.

If you announce the winner with ten min. Left...how much time do you give for the kid to show up and where do they goto claim the prize. How long does that take? If the kid whose name is drawn is not there or does not know he/she won...how long do you give before you draw again? If you don't re-draw is the promo held over to the next game? If so, need more promo dollars and promotion outlets for the next home game drawing promo.

Might be fun getting one of those groups/divisions listed above to cough up the funds. Would be fun to be a fly on the wall in that discussion room.

I like this idea...maybe we should make it an annual GMG.com promo. Who is up for donating to make this happen and how much you up for on an annual basis? Would be cool, huh? Flyer...could you get this ball rolling? Happy to help...just let me know. This idea rocks!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

Haven't we gone over all of the ins and outs of the tuition promo before? I still think it would be easiest to have a flat amount, and maybe have multiple winners if the promotion gets off the ground. Start with $1K towards tuition or free books for a year. If the pot of money grows enough, how great is the publicity if students hear that a dozen of their peers just got a grand at the last game?

IMO, the only people Mac is calling out are those who are within earshot or "viewing shot" who aren't, or haven't come to see the team. He's using every opportunity to say "get on this bandwagon". He's not calling out anyone who's already showing up. As long as this team is winning, he has every right to keep on imploring everyone he can for support in the stands.

• Upvote 1

IMO, the only people Mac is calling out are those who are within earshot or "viewing shot" who aren't, or haven't come to see the team. He's using every opportunity to say "get on this bandwagon". He's not calling out anyone who's already showing up. As long as this team is winning, he has every right to keep on imploring everyone he can for support in the stands.

The thing is, I think the people that are listening to him are the ones we already have on board. Right? The people who are reading Vito's blogs/articles, the people who are listening to the games on the radio, the people who go to the coaches show... these are all people who are already in Apogee, or heck, following the team on the road!

More Gosselin articles and Newy, Babe, & Hansen cameos is what he needs to get his message out there. Instead, he uses those times to ra-ra (as he should), but he needs to also take advantage of the people who are watching/reading, who are not already attending, and implore them to come.

The thing is, I think the people that are listening to him are the ones we already have on board. Right?

More Gosselin articles and Newy, Babe, & Hansen cameos is what he needs to get his message out there. Instead, he uses those times to ra-ra (as he should), but he needs to also take advantage of the people who are watching/reading, who are not already attending, and implore them to come.

I hear you for sure. I just feel like if he's doing it on a coaches show or something that's going out over the airwaves, then he's doing the right thing. Doesn't matter if much/most of the listeners are the "choir". He's got to do it at every opportunity. I guess what I'm saying is that if the shoe fits, wear it. For others--like us--it's a moot point.

Get those kids out of the dorms. Entice them with booze and then give them Halloween candy once they enter the game. Even if they leave their attendance will count and they may just like what they see and stick around after all.