How HUGE is the Rice game now?

BIG DAWG

No excuses for not being at Apogee on the 31st. Well, maybe some...but, they better be good ones! Here is saying this team gas earned the right to see a big crowd next Thursday..they earned it with 3 wins in a row...two on the road! Be there...Beat Rice!

It may be huge for a bowl bid but probably not for a division playoff spot. If we could win out and Rice beat Tulane it would be a three-way tie for first in the West. Anyone know what the tiebreaker might be? Margin of victory? Total points? Season record? Coin flip?

If we get the win over Rice but Tulane also beats Rice then we are the runnerup, unless Tulane loses twice.

Edited by GrayEagle

It may be huge for a bowl bid but probably not for a division playoff spot. If we could win out and Rice beat Tulane it would be a three-way tie for first in the West. Anyone know what the tiebreaker might be? Margin of victory? Total points? Season record? Coin flip?

According to the CUSA media guide it is BCS ranking....it's hard not to be a little bummed about what this season could have been, and still could be, but a lot has to bounce our way now...Tulane does end with 3 of four on the road against FAU, UTSA, and Rice, so losing two of those is not out of the question. They've hardly looked convincing.

Tulane will lose again, they have to be out of 9 lives by now. I wonder if Joe Cool is paying the refs to help his son win? :P

His son hasn't played since we knocked him out nearly a month ago.

That being said, I swear they're employing N'awlins voodoo magic pre-game rituals, because they are an ugly, ugly team. These wins have been unfathomable for anything in the real world.

Edited by Christopher Walker

It's frustrating because y'all talk about how we're small time. If this were, say, UT and somehow getting bowl eligible and representing your school on national TV to raise the profile, you'd be there.

Want to be big time, act big time.

If you want us to be the next TCU or Boise, you've got to show up. Flat out.

Edited by meangreener
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

It's frustrating because y'all talk about how we're small time. If this were, say, UT and somehow getting bowl eligible and representing your school on national TV to raise the profile, you'd be there.

Want to be big time, act big time.

If you want us to be the next TCU or Boise, you've got to show up. Flat out.

You're preaching to people that will likely be there. Believe it or not there are apathetic fans that attend UT as well. Our issue is the quantity of fans that want to attend games. We've been bad for a long long time and we don't have what you call the most winning tradition in CFB. There is improvement but this thing is far far far far from fixed.

• Upvote 1

You're preaching to people that will likely be there. Believe it or not there are apathetic fans that attend UT as well. Our issue is the quantity of fans that want to attend games. We've been bad for a long long time and we don't have what you call the most winning tradition in CFB. There is improvement but this thing is far far far far from fixed.

There's two on here that are saying they're not. I mean, your kid being at a football game is a valid excuse, but there aren't many ones if you want to rationalize skipping the biggest game at UNT since the bowl games. Say what you want about the Belt years, CUSA's perception is >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> SBC's perception back then.

I may be thinking huge, but in the long run, Thursday is the beginning, and the crowd has to show up.

Edited by meangreener

I will say I was shocked that 23k real bodies in seats showed up for an 0-6 team today. I expected a tomb after half and a lot spilled out but a lot stayed. We would have trouble clearing 10k for a winless team. The guy behind me kept yelling southern miss we still believe in you! I almost felt sorry for he fans but I couldn't because I didn't want to bring in the rally. Pure black and gold passion on display tonight. We are very lucky to have this mean green to root for! Bring Thursday and twice in November!

GMG

My point being is this really doesn't happen at big time schools. Louisville had 50k for their Thursday game.

Comparing us to Louisville right now is a far far stretch don't you think? I understand your thoughts...we've all had these thoughts especially when we were all younger but we need to be realistic.

• Upvote 1

Comparing us to Louisville right now is a far far stretch don't you think? I understand your thoughts...we've all had these thoughts especially when we were all younger but we need to be realistic.

How?

Want to be big time? Act big time.

That's how TCU and Boise are where they are. We need to stop trying to be the Southern Misses and aim higher.

I'm willing to bet if UTSA had a Tuesday game they'd have 30K.

I just don't understand how it's hard to mark down events and stick to them. We had season tickets to the Texans and made every Monday night game. We only missed one game in 5 years of holding said tickets.

Edited by meangreener

I just don't understand how it's hard to mark down events and stick to them. We had season tickets to the Texans and made every Monday night game. We only missed one game in 5 years of holding said tickets.

One of the fans you are targeting in this thread probably has a comparable ratio of games attended to games missed. And he typically attends one or two away games a year. And he has been doing it for far longer than 5 years. So I really don't think you need to aim your ire at him.

• Upvote 4

One of the fans you are targeting in this thread probably has a comparable ratio of games attended to games missed. And he typically attends one or two away games a year. And he has been doing it for far longer than 5 years. So I really don't think you need to aim your ire at him.

I'm not really aiming my ire at him. I've just read lots of it over the week.

There's two on here that are saying they're not. I mean, your kid being at a football game is a valid excuse, but there aren't many ones if you want to rationalize skipping the biggest game at UNT since the bowl games. Say what you want about the Belt years, CUSA's perception is >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> SBC's perception back then.

I may be thinking huge, but in the long run, Thursday is the beginning, and the crowd has to show up.

Family comes first. Those with kids and prior commitments who live out of town were screwed from attending this game as soon as it was scheduled. This is why as far back as July I planned to drive to Georgia and La Tech because I knew I wasn't going to get to attend the Rice game October 31st.

The attendance and home field advantage for this game directly relies on Denton locals and for the 15 to 20,000 students who live on and around campus. They are who needs to be catered and promoted to.

Hopefully they turn out.

Rick

• Upvote 1