not too sure Tulane or anyone wants that New Orleans Bowl

Harry

ULL spanked A-State last night in Jonesboro and they are having another really nice year. If Hud stays there another year then someone has pictures. He's just a terrific coach. A-Staters are really coming down on Harsin hard.

Anyhow, not sure Tulane or anyone in C-USA for that matter will be too thrilled about facing ULL in that New Orleans Bowl this year and their 40K fans. They will be very tough to beat.

Any bowl for our Mean Green would be nice since it's been awhile but wouldn' this be a kick in the pants this bowl season if:

Tulane (and all 500 of their fans) came to Dallas and its HOD Bowl to play Iowa and

North Texas went back to New Orleans to play a Sun Belt team? (Albeit I don't think 'pride

and ego would have us turning down a bowl game if asked no matter which bowl it would be).

O Lord, please don't let this scenaio happen although we'd be most grateful for a bowl game...so don't take any of this wrong, OK? Amen. :innocent:

Think Halloween Night At Apogee Stadium! floating-ghost.gif

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

ULL spanked A-State last night in Jonesboro and they are having another really nice year. If Hud stays there another year then someone has pictures. He's just a terrific coach. A-Staters are really coming down on Harsin hard.

Anyhow, not sure Tulane or anyone in C-USA for that matter will be too thrilled about facing ULL in that New Orleans Bowl this year and their 40K fans. They will be very tough to beat.

I would be trilled to play them in the NO bowl.

We could finally throw a screen pass that worked.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Look at the rest of their schedule...good lord, WacKY and stAte are the only two decent teams they've beaten, and they don't have much left. They'll probably go 10-2 if they don't slip up. Troy is always dangerous, even when they're bad, and South Ala. has surprised a couple of teams, including Tulane, but ULL could win out.

As to the Armed Forces Bowl...some of us talked about it, does that count?

Tulane has precious little say in where they play a bowl game if they don't outright win the conference.

Remember when Cincinnati won the CUSA in 2002? Well, they were actually tied with TCU for the conference championship but Cincinnati had the edge because they had beaten TCU on the field.

CUSA awarded the spot to TCU in the Liberty Bowl anyway, and Cincinnati was relegated to last selection of bowl games, and would up having to play Sun Belt representative North Texas in th second year of the fledgling New Orleans Bowl.

Why did that happen? Cincinnati had already contracted to leave CUSA and therefore had no say where the conference sent them.

Sooner or later Tulane is going to wake up and smell the Kona coffee, Aloha!!!

17K to 20K traveling Mean Green fans down to the Big Easy to play U of Louisiana or...

30,000 plus Mean Green fans coming out of the DFW Metroplex (and beyond) woodwork from every direction to play (we can always dream this >>>>).............the U of Iowa Hawkeyes in a game with so many feature stories surrounding it because of the Fry Coaching Tree Connection and Coach Fry himself that you'd lose count.

Hey! Bottom line of all this no matter what happens is:

AIN'T......WINNING......FUN?!?! :thumbsu:

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

We have about a quarter million disenfranchised fans, and the more reason they are given, the more of them will gradually start to show up at, say, local bowl appearances and home games. Plus there are plenty of people who will make us their temporary team if we're a local team playing in a local bowl.

• Upvote 1

We have about a quarter million disenfranchised fans, and the more reason they are given, the more of them will gradually start to show up at, say, local bowl appearances and home games. Plus there are plenty of people who will make us their temporary team if we're a local team playing in a local bowl.

We have a quarter of a million alums who don't care about UNT athletics. A third tier bowl game will not change that.

Is it good for the athletic program and football program? Absolutely.

Will it automatically undo 30 plus years of apathy? Not a chance in hell.

Playing on News Years Day in Dallas against an Iowa team that will only bring a couple of thousand means attendance at the game will be what we normally see at home games. About 17k.

It's a step in the right direction, and nothing more.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I don't think there are 30K NT fans.

Following all of this for 42 years I say that we do. GrayEagle, what do you think? :)

Heck! With about 1/4'th the UNT constituency we have today it was back in 1976 we traveled what the Austin American Statesman said was about 20,000 Mean Green fans down to Austin to play the Longhorns. Do the math and then add in all the extras. We do.

GMG!

Are you going "Negative UNT90" on us, 97and03? At times it seems you are with what you post.

And how does.............."Big difference in alumni and fans" even fit here?

Is it that some get more attention when they go against the grain on this forum?

Or could it be that some people understand reality?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Or could it be that some people understand reality?

What do you call reality, UNT90? We're all ears to hear that.

If you gave North Texas $1 million during your lifetime you've undone that with $2 million worth of negativity which tends to run off "would be" fans and "would be" recruits who read this forum and believe me....they read this forum.

Norman Vincent Peale has a great book you need to add to your library but moreso.........read.

And no one wants to hear from all you "Martyrs For The Mean Green" thru the years who used to be positive but now take the low road in most everything they say or post. Yall have no idea how counter-productive all that is with especially those we'd all love to see filling the Wing Zone.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

What do you call reality, UNT90? We're all ears to hear that.

If you gave North Texas $1 million during your lifetime you've undone that with $2 million worth of negativity which tends to run off "would be" fans and "would be" recruits who read this forum and believe me....they read this forum.

Norman Vincent Peale has a great book you need to add to your library but moreso.........read.

And no one wants to hear from all you "Martyrs For The Mean Green" thru the years who used to be positive but now take the low road in most everything they say or post. Yall have no idea how counter-productive all that is with especially those we'd all love to see filling the Wing Zone.

Right, cause nothing brings in recruits like talking about how great a Todd Dodge is while he is going 1-11.

Biggest load of BS ever.

If people don't think like you, you don't want to hear from them. That has been a HUGE problem for this program for years. Just ignore the negative and pretend everything will be ok.

If reality is considered negative, well, I guess I'm negative. But I know we have a LOT of work to do to get 30k at any game, home or close road bowl.

Ignoring that reality won't make it go away.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Sorry if I was vague in the way I stated it...I don't expect 250K to be scrambling for bowl tickets this year, but I do think every win, every bowl, and every big season with good press will keep getting more and more re-involved and less disenfranchised. We may never recapture the hearts of everyone who lost faith and/or had a bad experience, but there will be some momentum in returning fans to mirror the momentum in re-growth of the program.

• Upvote 1