HS coach has bullying complaint filed against him after 91-0 win

In some news that will make coaches around the country scratch their heads, last Friday Aledo HS (TX) beat Fort Worth Western Hills HS (TX) by a score of 91-0.

After the game, a parent of a Western Hills player decided to file a bullying complaint against Aledo head coach Tim Buchanan.

Yes, you read that correctly. A bullying complaint filed against the head coach for the final score after Friday night contest.

Now, it's worth noting that Aledo is averaging over 69 points per game and is the top ranked team in the 4A poll, and Western Hills is fielding just 30 players, but as Buchanan told the Star-Telegram after the game, the end of this game felt much different to him and his team.

“We were just sitting there. You’d have thought we got beat. I looked around and asked, ‘Is there anyone here that feels good?’”

Read more: http://www.footballscoop.com/news/11304-coach-has-bullying-compliant-filed-against-him-after-91-0-win

Western Hills also got trophies for participation in that game.

...Followed by a team dinner at Cici's pizza. Each kid got 5 tokens to play their favorite games! Then the coach got up, made a nice little ra-ra speech, then brought each player up individually and said a nice, funny little comment about each kid as he handed them their trophies.

I think we should just not keep score and hug after the time runs out!

I also think it would be good sportsmanship to give fumbles back to the poor player that dropped the ball. It is the nice thing to do.

Interceptions should be counted only as incomplete passes, will someone please think of those poor Quarterbacks.

I also think if a player tackles another player, well he is just a big old bully, there I said it.

Edited by KingDL1
  • Upvote 1

It sounds like Aledo did everything they could to call off the dogs. They only threw the ball 10 times ... they only held the ball for less than 10 minutes in the game. Sometimes it can't be helped. You can't tell your players to go half speed because that will put your own players at risk of injury.

When the top 4A team plays another team with only 30 players, this is going to happen.

here in Arkansas once a team leads by 35 or 42 pts, the clock runs continuously to make the massacre end faster

A running clock was used in this game for the second half. According to a comment posted Aledo had the ball for less than 8 minutes. The starters only played 21 snaps and the QBs only attempted 10 passes.

Sounds like they tried to not embarrass their opponents as much as they could.

It sounds like Aledo did everything they could to call off the dogs. They only threw the ball 10 times ... they only held the ball for less than 10 minutes in the game. Sometimes it can't be helped. You can't tell your players to go half speed because that will put your own players at risk of injury.

When the top 4A team plays another team with only 30 players, this is going to happen.

I think the real question is... Why, if Western Hills is a 4A school, would they only be able to field 30 players? That sounds like the roster you'd find at a 2A, or even 1A, school.

• Upvote 1

I think the real question is... Why, if Western Hills is a 4A school, would they only be able to field 30 players? That sounds like the roster you'd find at a 2A, or even 1A, school.

You have have obviously never attended school at Western Hills. If you think apathy is bad at UNT, it could be a sport there.

You have have obviously never attended school at Western Hills. If you think apathy is bad at UNT, it could be a sport there.

Nope. I went to Richardson Pearce during the late 90's. We had a much larger roster, yet lost by the same kinds of scores to the likes of Plano/LakeHighlands/PlanoEast/etc.... This was before Danny Meager turned us into a winner for a while.

You know, thinking back, I now understand why the UNT Athletic dept does not offend me. All I've ever known is terrible football/basketball, and excellent "other" sports like M/W Soccer, M/W Tennis, golf, etc...

All I've ever known is terrible football/basketball, and excellent "other" sports like M/W Soccer, M/W Tennis, golf, etc...

UNT was the first school at any level that I attended with football of any kind. I was 36 years old. Todd Dodge was the head coach.

My experience with interscholastic football was very nearly over before it even began.

And this,my friends... is what is becoming wrong with America. No one should be better. No one should be special. There are no winners- only participants. Might give the losers a complex if we call them what they actually are. In a few years, no one will ever try to be better or do anything special, because no matter how hard they work or use the gifts that they have- there will be roadblocks planted for them. And even if they get over those roadblocks, there will never be recognition. Because they are specially unspecial.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

There's a trick to calling off the dogs, but still playing in a competitive manner, and not completely demoralizing the other team. And then there's just running up the score. I wouldn't call this bullying, just a case of being an epic, giant douche.

Then apparently you have not read the story on the game. Aledo coach did everything in his power to hold the score down, aside from kneeling on the ball (which would be the ultimate insult).

Stupid parent. Feel sorry for the child.

• Upvote 1

And this,my friends... is what is becoming wrong with America. No one should be better. No one should be special. There are no winners- only participants. Might give the losers a complex if we call them what they actually are. In a few years, no one will ever try to be better or do anything special, because no matter how hard they work or use the gifts that they have- there will be roadblocks planted for them. And even if they get over those roadblocks, there will never be recognition. Because they are specially unspecial.

Wrong! What is wrong with America is that nobody uses lard in their pie crust anymore! The very title of this forum is "There Should Be Pie For Everyone," yet here we are, in 2013, scared out of our increasingly bulging pants of a little saturated fat that would make our pie crusts so flaky, so delicious. Noooooo, we have to use canola oil (blech!) and bitch about high school football teams being too good!

(I would guess people can totally tell tax season is over for the rest of the year. My mind wanders now)

• Upvote 3

There's a trick to calling off the dogs, but still playing in a competitive manner, and not completely demoralizing the other team. And then there's just running up the score. I wouldn't call this bullying, just a case of being an epic, giant douche.

They had lineman playing receiver, 4th stringers in, people who didn't know where the field was in, etc. They did everything they could short of just downing the ball every down from 3rd quarter on to keep the score down, so a little unfair to call him a douche.

• Upvote 1