Official USMNT Rio 2014 Thread

So no one is going to talk about the police death squads disappearing hundreds, probably thousands of people from the favelas that border the stadiums?

OK.

FIFA has shown themselves to be complete a-holes as of late. The preparation for the Brazilian cup has been a joke, it's been corrupt from top to bottom, and fifa has done virtually nothing. Going forward they really need to reexamine who they award the world cup to. South Africa (while it went off fairly well), and now Brazil have been well over budget, and have cost the populations of the host countries entirely to much. They need to start giving the Cup to host countries that have the infrastructure to pull it off with as little incident/work as possible. Unfortunately that means mainly having them in North America, Western European countries, China (they already did the dirty work in prep for the olympics), South Korea, and only a hand full of others. Oh well at least the next two after this will be in places that won't have any problem...Oh wait, Russia is about to try and take over half of Europe, and Qatar is using slave labor. Good job FIFA, keep letting Blatter run things.

Edited by mattmartin817

• 1 month later...

30-man provisional squad is out.

Goalkeepers

Tim Howard

Brad Guzan

Nick Rimando

Defenders

Fabian Johnson

Geoff Cameron

DaMarcus Beasley

Omar Gonzalez

Matt Besler

Clarence Goodson

Timmy Chandler

Brad Evans

DeAndre Yedlin

John Brooks

Michael Parkhurst

Midfielders

Michael Bradley

Jermain Jones

Mixx Diskeruud

Kyle Beckerman

Alejandro Bedoya

Graham Zusi

Julian Green

Maurice Edu

Brad Davis

Joe Corona

Forwards

Clint Dempsey

Jozy Altidore

Landon Donovan

Terrence Boyd

Chris Wondolowski

Aron Johannsson

Seven cuts need to be made to the out-field positions to trim the entire roster to 23. My best bet:

DeAndre Yedlin - a bit too green still.

Brad Evans - Chandler's re-emergence and Cameron's ability at RB probably push the converted midfielder out of the picture

Omar Gonzalez - he'll be 2 weeks behind in camp and has been in suspect form of late. I think he's lost his starting spot certainly, and if Brooks steps up in his absence I could see Gonzalez being left home

Joe Corona - bright future, but his time will likely be 2018

Kyle Beckerman - I think it's really between he and Edu...Edu offers more athleticism and international experience.

Brad Davis - too slow and not versatile enough to be a significant piece of the bench

Chris Wondolowski - I hope I'm wrong again, but I think between he, Boyd and Green 2 of the 3 will be on the plane...Boyd offers as close to a second target-man option as the US has, while Green that turn of pace and flair lacking elsewhere in the squad. Given that this is probably the 23rd man on the roster and not likely to see the pitch, I think JK goes with giving the 2 kids experience going forward rather than reward Wondo.

• Upvote 1

Gonzalez - nah. He's been shaky but I think he'll step up and prove to be the best CB next to Besler.

Beckerman - man I really really hope he makes it. I hate his play for Salt Lake but his heat maps and passing efficiency is so good.

Davis - only plays one position, wouldn't get the nod over someone like Geoff Cameron who is more versatile.

Green - young and possesses all the talent, but is still too unproven and raw. He's in camp for the experience and the coaching. He might just kill in the qualifiers in a couple of years.

I'm really torn on whether we'll advance. I think we just have to beat Ghana. Period. We can tie and lose to Germany and Portugal and sneak through, but we have to grab all 3 against Ghana.

• Upvote 1

Gonzalez - nah. He's been shaky but I think he'll step up and prove to be the best CB next to Besler.

Beckerman - man I really really hope he makes it. I hate his play for Salt Lake but his heat maps and passing efficiency is so good.

Davis - only plays one position, wouldn't get the nod over someone like Geoff Cameron who is more versatile.

Green - young and possesses all the talent, but is still too unproven and raw. He's in camp for the experience and the coaching. He might just kill in the qualifiers in a couple of years.

I'm really torn on whether we'll advance. I think we just have to beat Ghana. Period. We can tie and lose to Germany and Portugal and sneak through, but we have to grab all 3 against Ghana.

Gonzalez is back in full training...earlier than anticipated...so I'll go ahead and amend my earlier prediction and slot him in for Brooks, but I'm sticking with my belief that he's lost his starting CB spot. Ideally, we'll see Johnson-Besler-Cameron-Chandler, left-to-right, as the back 4.

I think there's a spot for Beckerman or Edu. I'm good with either. If JK decides to play more 4-4-2 like he did against Mexico and let Bradley play in more advanced roles, then I like Beckerman more as the anchor of the diamond.

I really don't think JK is just bringing Green in for training experience. Like I said, I think it's 2 of the 3 between he Boyd and Wondo...Wondo is a room guy, so maybe he get's the nod, but they're all 3 behind Jozy, Aron, Dempsey, Donovan, Zusi, Bedoya and maybe even Diskerud as attacking options and may not even dress for a single match. JK may see more value in getting, what appear to be 2 valuable pieces of the future USMNT set-up on to the plane.

• Upvote 1

Final 23 named...

No landon..wow...

In the end, you can't give a guy a spot based more on sentiment than ability.

I'll have plenty more on this later this evening...I'm surprised by some of the choices, but in the end I really like the squad and the Klinnsman's apparent methodology in selecting it.

Donovan did this to himself.

There are some youngsters on the back end who won't see any PT this year but will get them ready for 2018

Agreed 100%. Donovan for years was able to get by in spite of questionable commitment and work-ethic (something I don't begrudge him...the man chose to prioritize his personal life over his professional one. Athlete seems to be the only profession where many show anger towards those who make such a decision...probably while half-assing it through their office job and thinking more of their weekend plans or next family vacation) because he was a superior talent...a class above nearly everyone else in the USMNT. Now that he's lost a step and moved to the fringes it's cost him his place.

If you look at the fringe guys who Klinnsman opted to take...kids like Green, Johannson, Diskerud, Yedlin and Brooks...and industrious, hard-workers like Wondolowski, Davis and Beckerman...guys who may lack the class of a Donovan but make up for it with their willingness to put in a shift and work for their teammates. The message from Klinnsman is clear: it's not your talent that will get you places, but your work ethic.

My take on the 23:

Goalkeepers

Tim Howard

Brad Guzan

Nick Rimando

- this was never really in doubt...Howard is the clear number one and will need to be at his loud, commanding best to organize a young back-line. Brad Guzan is one of the better #2s in the tournament...this is not a huge drop-off at all and very few countries (Spain, Belgium...maybe Italy) can feel as confident should their #1 get hurt. Hopefully Rimando never touches his gloves.

Fullbacks

Timothy Chandler

Fabian Johnson

DaMarcus Beasley

DeAndre Yedlin

(Geoff Cameron)

- I think this probably came together about as well as one could've hoped. Chandler's commitment and fitness were a big question mark for me, but after a strong finish to the Bundesliga season I'm quite relieved to see him and I hope he mans the right, though he's capable on the left as well. Johnson also had a strong year in Germany and I imagine (hope) will be first choice on the left, despite his playing RB for club. Beasley brings some leadership and has shown one hell of a work ethic at learning a new position...that said, he's still a midfielder masquerading as a defender and I hope his action is minimal. I include a mention of Cameron here b/c he had a fantastic season at right back for Stoke and I imagine he'd be preferred to Yedlin, whom I believe is on the plane (like a few others) for his development more than his contributions, should injuries/suspensions crop up in wide defense.

Central Defenders

Matt Besler

Omar Gonzalez

Geoff Cameron

John Brooks

- Besler has proved calm and confident beyond his years...a solid passer, physical enough both on the ground and in the air, positionally aware...he's exceptional at nothing but refined as a central defender. Gonzalez, on the other hand, has all the tools to be the anchor of the defense, but his mental lapses I feel have cost him a starter's role. Cameron is probably the best defender in the squad, but his lack of game time at CB may cost him should JK prefer Gonzalez and having Cameron as a versatile sub. Brooks, like YedlinI imagine is here to learn, though he had won a starters spot for his Bundesliga club by end of the season.

Holding Midfielders

Michael Bradley

Jermain Jones

Kyle Beckerman

(Geoff Cameron)

- for me, Bradley is the most important piece in the squad, regardless of what shape Klinnsman opts to play. When he is out, both the potency in attack and organization and spine in defense suffer. If JK goes with the familiar 4-2-3-1, Bradley and (likely) Jones have formed a solid partnership and understanding in front of the back four...one goes forward, one stays back...though Jones's propensity for silly challenges and bookings does worry me, he can be dynamic in tandem with Bradley. Should Klinnsman decide to play a 4-4-2 with a diamond midfield similar to the recent Mexico match, Bradley has shown he can thrive with more forward freedom...this formation would also likely include Beckerman at the base of the diamond...a good passer from the back and a strong work-ethic, I have doubts over his athleticism on a world stage. And again, Cameron...he can play here too.

Attacking Midfielders

Graham Zusi

Alejandro Bedoya

Mixx Diskerud

Brad Davis

Julian Green

(Fabian Johnson)

- I'm tipping Bedoya for a bit of a break-out World Cup. He enjoyed a fantastic season at Ligue 1 side Nantes, helping the newly promoted side to an 8th place finish with 5 goals. I think he brings a bit more dynamic ability than Zusi on the right, though I think both will see significant time. Bedoya can also play centrally, though I'd be surprised to see him there much, if at all. Diskerud is another player I'm a big fan of...he plays as a classic Euro #10...a touch more inventiveness and creativity than the rest of his teammates, though the world game may still be a bit too fast for him to make a significant impact. Hopes are high for Green...doubt we see him much this World Cup, but it's a real coup for JK to have him in the USMNT system now. I mention Johnson as he can play as a left sided attacker, though if that were in Klinnsman's plans I suspect he'd have taken Michael Parkhurst to lend support to the defense rather than Brad Davis, an exclusively left-sided attacker.

Forwards

Jozy Altidoe

Aron Johannsson

Clint Dempsey

Chris Wondolowski

- this is still Jozy's line to lead. yes, he just suffered through a miserable season at Sunderland. but Sunderland were terrible for about 5/6 of the season and Jozy certainly should've chosen better in making his move. Dempsey, who has re-discovered his form up in Seattle (such a smart move...get that Spurs stink off him) will in someway play off Jozy, either as a second striker or in the hole behind Jozy. Johannsson had a very impressive season at AZ Alkmaar (Jozy's old club) and is a big part of the future of the USMNT...his playing time at this World Cup is almost 100% determined by Jozy's form. Good for Wondo...he'll work his ass off, has quality movement and is a great guy to have in the room...can't rule out his bagging a big late goal off the bench.

I like the squad. And I like our chances of getting out of group and should that happen the first knockout game may come against the 4th toughest opponent the squad would have faced. An organized and confident back-line, a bright Michael Bradley and someone...be it Bedoya, Johannsson or hell, maybe even Green...providing Jozy and Dempsey some offensive support, and this team can surprise quite a few.

• Upvote 3

In the end, you can't give a guy a spot based more on sentiment than ability.

I'll have plenty more on this later this evening...I'm surprised by some of the choices, but in the end I really like the squad and the Klinnsman's apparent methodology in selecting it.

It's a tied match in the final 15. Do you want Landon Donovan coming off the bench of Julian Green? That's what settles it for me. And Brad Davis is still worthless.

• Upvote 1

Quality write-up by CBL. I agree with nearly all points. Some other thoughts.

Landon

If you've watched Landon play this year in MLS he has been below average. Not National Team, or Landon Donovan below average, MLS below average. Who know what is wrong with him but he looks overweight and lethargic and with a bad touch. He s either hurt or has stopped trying. I'm in the camp that there is more to it than his current form, but his current form is not good.

Central Defense

I fully expect Cameron to be a 1st choice option here. Between Omar's injury and his willingness to make mistakes, I'd trust Cameron and Besler more there despite the fact Cameron doesn't play there regularly anymore.

Fullbacks

When Chandler was called in I thought he was going to start on the right. I expect him to start. On the left it comes down to where Fabian plays. If he moves to the left wing where he had considerable success in qualifiers, then it's Beasley. Beasley doesn't scare me at LB like it does CBL, because he is scrappy and quick. Unfortunately, we don't really have a gotoguy here.

Forwards

Jozy and Dempsey anything else is because they are hurt or are in card trouble.

Midfield

Bradley and Jones are locks. I'm hopeful Jones can play the role that Beckerman plays as destroyer. The other two depends on the formation. Zusi and Bedoya is it's a diamond, Could see Wondolowski and Johansson if a 4 2 3 1 with Dempsey in the hole. As for Bedoya, I hope you guys are right. So far I'm not sold on him. As for Green, he gets the spot JK was trying to give to Brek Shea but Shea made too many poor choices. We do need someone between these 4 (Johansson, Bedoya, Zusi, Green) to become a breakout star like Donovan did his 1st Cup to make a big move.

Bradley

This is his cup. If he plays like he can we can do some things. For me he is clearly the best player on the team and the most able to make a play.

Worries

JK seems to be applying the same formula he did with the Germany team. I'd feel better about that if we were hosting the cup like Germany did that year. He has put a lot of pressure on everyone. Let's hope it works.

Is Landon really the better fit for a super sub role?

I don't think it matters. I think what matters is the guy who has been there in that moment, who knows how to score a big time goal in a big time match. Yeah I get that you can't select a guy just based on merit, but Donovan is 31 and at 90%, we're not talking 41 here.

This is how I think I'd like the lineup to look:

----------------------Altidore----------------

-------Dempsey----------------------

Beasley---------Bradley----------Bedoya/Zusi

-----------Beckerman---------

Johnson--Cameron---Besler----Chandler

I'm not sure we've seen Beasley deployed in midfield under Klinsmann and I'd be very surprised to see it in the World Cup.

Last night's match with Azerbaijan was a bit disappointing...less for the USMNT's performance, but rather the visitor's unwillingness to play open football in keeping 10 or 11 behind the ball at all times, something the Yanks won't see at all in group play. This match may help with unit cohesion and to sort out a proper top XI, but did little to really prepare the squad for World Cup opponents.

In defense, Fabian Johnson, who has played mostly on the left for the USMNT, started at right-back where he enjoyed a successful season at Hoffenheim and looked bright going forward in his 60 or so minutes. I'll assume this is likely his spot. Cameron and Besler started centrally...the latter had some shaky touches and passes while the prior looked the most assured and competent defender. Beasley on the left was good for 45...Timmy Chandler came on at the half on the left and tried to push up the flank a bit more. Omar Gonzalez had a strong 45 in reserve, while DeAndre Yedlin looked a bit over-anxious to impress.

In the midfield, Jermain Jones did not look comfortable at the base of the diamond. He wants the freedom to get forward more frequently like he has when deployed next to Bradley in the 4-2-3-1 and this may be a spot more suitable for Beckerman should Klinsmann go 4-4-2 in the WC. Bradley wasn't at his best...a packed in Azerbaijan side may've hindered his passing game. Zusi put in a good shift...Bedoya was hit or miss...while in reserve Brad Davis and Mixx Diskerud both did themselves a solid...Davis looked active and bright, should've won a penalty and delivered the corner for AJ's goal, while Diskerud not only buried his chance, his work was responsible for Bradley's initial shot.

Up front, Clint Dempsey was a very late precautionary scratch meaning Chris Wondolowski was thrust into a starters role and presented a golden opportunity within five minutes that he needs to do more with. His second effort was far better and brilliantly saved. Jozy put in a solid shift in holding up play, but looked a bit hesitant running at goal...he made one very nice turn, but blazed his effort well over. Aron Johansson's late cameo was marked by a well-taken open header and a bit of nice interplay with Jozy up front.

All and all, a decent start.

I don't share the optimism over this USMNT squad that many here seem to. Our backline is beyond suspect and I believe that losing all 3 in Rio is a very real possibility.

Chemistry is important---especially between the two center backs---and we're in a position where whoever we start together back there will not have had much actual game time together. Much of this is due to a combination of nobody really stepping up and lack of overall talent available, but Klinnsy has not done a good job managing this spot IMPO. Germany is going to tear them apart, Portugal likely will, and Ghana may even force mistakes if we force the action and leave ourselves open to counters from their athletic forwards. Lord help us if we start the MLS tandem of Gonzo and Besler against anyone we'll face in the group.