UNT, UT consider beer sales at games along with SMU

Harry

Southern Methodist Univeraity’s support for selling beer at its big games on campus is the latest break in a long dry spell at most Texas schools.

The University of North Texas at Denton and the University of Texas at Austin also are considering lifting bans on alcohol sales in the stands at football and basketball games.

For now, only the University of Houston does so.

The public and private universities considering the change say it could boost attendance and raise revenue. But several other Texas schools — including A&M, Baylor and Texas Christian University — remain opposed.

Some cited the potential of underage drinking and rowdy, booze-stoked behavior.

For SMU, its proposed expansion of alcohol sales — already permitted in the football stadium’s luxury suites — is backed by many student leaders, alumni and city officials.

Bob Clark, a University Park council member, said he’s not worried about drinking-related problems.

“I don’t expect it to change the character of the basketball or football games except add more fun to the atmosphere,” Clark said. “I have confidence the SMU fans and students would be responsible in their consumption.”

Read more: http://www.dentonrc.com/local-news/local-news-headlines/20131015-unt-ut-consider-beer-sales-at-games-along-with-smu.ece

George came out as against it this morning on the ticket because he said that TCU, SMU, and UNT are family environments where you never run into the drunk guy standing in front of you yelling obscenities and giving you the I paid for my ticket and am asserting my first amendment rights speech.

George has clearly chosen to simply ignore the cases upon cases upon hundreds and hundreds of cases of beer that go down in the parking lot.

I propose making the alumni side only have beer sales and creating a point of entry that requires a ticket in that section of the stadium to enter the concourse. Keep the wing zone as a family environment with no alcohol sales, and the students can do whatever it is that students do.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

George came out as against it this morning on the ticket because he said that TCU, SMU, and UNT are family environments where you never run into the drunk guy standing in front of you yelling obscenities and giving you the I paid for my ticket and am asserting my first amendment rights speech.

George has clearly chosen to simply ignore the cases upon cases upon hundreds and hundreds of cases of beer that go down in the parking lot.

I propose making the alumni side only have beer sales and creating a point of entry that requires a ticket in that section of the stadium to enter the concourse. Keep the wing zone as a family environment with no alcohol sales, and the students can do whatever it is that students do.

If they are going to sell beer it is going to be an all or nothing deal and the pre-game drinking will continue either way. The reason they are going to beer sales is increased ticket sales and increased revenue. Limiting the sales defeats the ultimate goal. For detractors of alcohol sales, half the stadium is already legally drunk when they walk in the door. I don't remember someone drinking beer next to me ruining my game day experience at a college game, bowl game, or NFL game. The world is full of drunk and sober morons no matter where you go. Might as well make some money.
  • Upvote 3

If they are going to sell beer it is going to be an all or nothing deal and the pre-game drinking will continue either way. The reason they are going to beer sales is increased ticket sales and increased revenue. Limiting the sales defeats the ultimate goal. For detractors of alcohol sales, half the stadium is already legally drunk when they walk in the door. I don't remember someone drinking beer next to me ruining my game day experience at a college game, bowl game, or NFL game. The world is full of drunk and sober morons no matter where you go. Might as well make some money.

You do know that I'm in favor of free flowing taps everywhere, right? Hell, I wanna see the guys walking up and down the stands yelling, "Cold beer here!" But I also realize where I am and who I'm up against.

Again....I posted it last Summer or Spring on this forum that beer sales would actually sober some of our group up after they come inside the stadium. Get some state of Oklahoma lower alcohol beer and just don't tell anyone. ;)

Designated drivers might become important if we do start selling beer but that can be promoted, too, on the Jumbotron.

I don't drink anymore because of Type 2 "D" but I see no problem with it at Apogee.

I hate this idea just because I'm a student but have been legally able to drink almost as long as some of my fellow students have been alive.

I just hope if they do it, they rotate stock. I had some chips the other night that were definitely there for the Houston game.

You're not kidding. I ordered a barbecue sandwich at the Ball St. game that I expected to be "fresh."

They threw the dang thing in the microwave!

Yeah, I'm still burping that thing up.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

You do know that I'm in favor of free flowing taps everywhere, right? Hell, I wanna see the guys walking up and down the stands yelling, "Cold beer here!" But I also realize where I am and who I'm up against.

I am 100% with you. I didn't mean to sound like I am pooing on beer! I would love to have the beer guy walking up and down the isle. I was merely commenting on how if they sell beer on one side they should on the other and beating the beer haters to punch before they pounced both our opinions.

I also think they should copy AT&T Stadium and have a party environment inside the gates, while outside the inner stadium, to get people inside before kickoff while spending money. There are surely enough musicians in Denton that could play music as well. Margarita machines would have been nice at the Idaho game too. I just hope when they finally serve beer to the masses it's not just Mich Ultra.

Edited by UNTexas

Just an observation, but you will have tons of underage drinking (not that it does not already occur). I went to a UH game last year and sat in the student section. Their student section was packed and it would have been extremely easy to purchase a beer, go up to your spot, and hand the beer off to a minor. Given the lack of security, and mass amounts of people surrounding you who have beer and either look age or don't, it seems like there would be a lot of issues.

Oldguystudent - I like your idea. Make it like they do at the Ballpark in Arlington, where you can't take alcohol to different levels. So, instead of making everyone go through a point of entry to go back and forth, you simply could have security making sure people don't cross a section with the beer on alumni side.

Edited by Eastwood Eagle
  • Downvote 1