This MEAN GREEN can win CUSA

trussbussdad

You need to crawl, before you can walk, before you can run.

We have been in the absolute depths of the CFB world for nearly ten years. In a vacuum I'm not "happy" with a 24 point beating either (not even by a top ten school). But this wasn't in a vacuum. This was a game I didn't think we had a shot in hell of staying competitive, much less winning. My girlfriend and I went out to a museum today during the game (because I didn't want to see us get our asses kicked I was fine with this) to see an exhibit we both wanted to see. Nonetheless, I kept an eye on the score every so often, and I can't tell you how surprised AND pleased I was that we hung with Georgia for 3 quarters. When I saw it was tied 21 I was a mixture of ecstatic and suicidal (that I might miss the biggest upset in NT history).

So, yeah we eventually got our asses handed to us. If you look at the big picture, this was a big step forward for us. We just have to make sure we don't retreat in the next few weeks.

Bingo.

The last thing UNT needs to do now is crap the bed against Tulane.

The one good thing that could come out of this game (besides the paycheck, of course) is the boost to the players' confidence.

Otherwise, it's just another beat down by another big 5 program, and nothing more.

But, I have no doubt that this game will join the "remember that time we tied UT in the second half" and "remember the time we were in the game in the 3rd quarter with K St?" Among many of the fans of this program.

And that is just sad. This fan base deserves more than 24 point losses to celebrate.

Boost to the players' confidence?

Why on earth would a beatdown by another big 5 program do that? Or, was there something more to it? Did you see something that would boost their confidence? Lots of us did, but your posts seem to indicate otherwise... until this confusing one.

• Upvote 1

Boost to the players' confidence?

Why on earth would a beatdown by another big 5 program do that? Or, was there something more to it? Did you see something that would boost their confidence? Lots of us did, but your posts seem to indicate otherwise... until this confusing one.

Whatever boost their confidence is a good thing. Did this game do it? You don't know and neither do I, but that is the one good thing that could POSSIBLY come out of this game.

That, and the fact that Ito wasn't 78-7.

Whatever boost their confidence is a good thing. Did this game do it? You don't know and neither do I, but that is the one good thing that could POSSIBLY come out of this game.

Oh, never mind....

• Upvote 2

Not only should it have boosted their confidence, I think it made them better fathers, sons, husbands, and brothers.

#allinhitmorethan6

• Upvote 1

I actually witnessed a dichotomy during yesterday's game.

UNT down 14-21 late in the second quarter. UNT forces a punt and gets the ball on their own 3 yd line with about 1:45 left in the half. Coach McCarney goes into give-up, "don't lose", mode, Georgia forces a punt (at a dangerous area of the field) and has an opportunity to add points to their lead (thankfully, missing on a long FG).

This made me livid. Why not try and get some points there? I was thinking... OK, here we go, same old scared McCarney playing "not to lose". This feeling is going to trickle down to the players and we're going to get obliterated in the 2nd half.

Then, in the 4th quarter, down 35 - 21 UNT gifts GA 2X with excellent field position by failing to convert 4th downs. McCarney was actually going for it! Wow! So, I don't really mind the final score. I saw what I wanted to see. UNT was trying to win. McCarney was putting his confidence in the players.

The offense didn't execute when they needed to, and that is nothing to be happy about. But the mindset changed somewhere between the end of the 2nd quarter and the 4th quarter, and that's something to be excited about. The defense gave up too many big plays, and that's nothing to be happy about. But they also held a vastly superior Georgia team on several occasions, and that's something to be excited about. And aside from a horrible pooch punt by Macek, Special Teams was excellent. Lots to be excited about there.

Obviously we're not going to see a team of Georgia's caliber again this season. That is cause for optimism. Unfortunately, we are going to see a few teams of Ohio's caliber. And that is cause for trepidation.

Will the fearful McCarney rear his head again this year? Let's hope not. Foot on the pedal the rest of the way, trust in these players (these Seniors) and a 6-win season (or better?) is within sight. If the "same old" UNT shows up in Tulane, then everything that went right for UNT in Athens is forgotten. Rightfully so.

So the 98 yard pass wasn't assist the defense or the trick play, or the late run with time on the clock? Football is football, but anyone who watches Uga.consistently know that wasn't their best effort and the game shouldn't.have been that close. Tried to be respectful, but UNT is sorry, and we gave you 2 TD's. You really think ypu can go toe to toe with UGA on their best day vs yours? Hell no. Be lucky we didn't completely embarrass you and let you stick around that long. Good luck in the little league conference USA, we have bigger fish to fry, and.i want you kids to tune in when we face LSU, so we can show you how we play when its not a miserable wet game vs a lower tier FBS team. Bye "mean green" lol.

You have every advantage in your favor, to recruit some of the best talent in the nation, even on special teams. We get dibs after Texas, A&M, TCU, TTech, Baylor, Houston, the SEC, ACC, and teams like Louisville from the AAC. Where was that run that was going to plow through us? Odds are that Whoregia was going to win this game almost every time, there is just too much of a difference there. But give us an equal playing field to be one of the top teams in our state, have that BCS money, and recruit and this well coached team would put up way more of a fight. But then again thats not what you teams want right? You just want to keep us down and take all the $$.

So what happens when there is an equal playing field?

I actually witnessed a dichotomy during yesterday's game.

UNT down 14-21 late in the second quarter. UNT forces a punt and gets the ball on their own 3 yd line with about 1:45 left in the half. Coach McCarney goes into give-up, "don't lose", mode, Georgia forces a punt (at a dangerous area of the field) and has an opportunity to add points to their lead (thankfully, missing on a long FG).

This made me livid. Why not try and get some points there? I was thinking... OK, here we go, same old scared McCarney playing "not to lose". This feeling is going to trickle down to the players and we're going to get obliterated in the 2nd half.

Then, in the 4th quarter, down 35 - 21 UNT gifts GA 2X with excellent field position by failing to convert 4th downs. McCarney was actually going for it! Wow! So, I don't really mind the final score. I saw what I wanted to see. UNT was trying to win. McCarney was putting his confidence in the players.

The offense didn't execute when they needed to, and that is nothing to be happy about. But the mindset changed somewhere between the end of the 2nd quarter and the 4th quarter, and that's something to be excited about. The defense gave up too many big plays, and that's nothing to be happy about. But they also held a vastly superior Georgia team on several occasions, and that's something to be excited about. And aside from a horrible pooch punt by Macek, Special Teams was excellent. Lots to be excited about there.

Obviously we're not going to see a team of Georgia's caliber again this season. That is cause for optimism. Unfortunately, we are going to see a few teams of Ohio's caliber. And that is cause for trepidation.

Will the fearful McCarney rear his head again this year? Let's hope not. Foot on the pedal the rest of the way, trust in these players (these Seniors) and a 6-win season (or better?) is within sight. If the "same old" UNT shows up in Tulane, then everything that went right for UNT in Athens is forgotten. Rightfully so.

I disagree, I thought McCarney's late decision to go for it on a fourth and long with that field position was crazy. The odds were against him and NT had no chance for a win, and to most casual fans the game would have looked a lot closer at 38-21. I couldn't believe this was the same coach that tried that fake field goal, punt that netted NT 11 yards in a situation I think most HC's would have went for the first down at time the game was still in play.

An argument can be made that a loss is a loss, but a program like NT needs creditability and allowing Ga to tack on another score didn't help. I think NT would have been just as likely to get another score punting it away as going for it in that situation.

Small criticism of McCarney, in a game that the pluses to me were much more than than the minuses.

• Upvote 3

Tulane is the biggie.

Then MTSU is the biggie.

Then La. Tech is the biggie.

One game at a time. Lose those 3 and Rice don't mean a damn thing.

I still don't know if we can do enough on offense to win this conference. The defense's secondary play scares the piss out if me.

We just got throttled by 24 while giving up well over 600 yards in total offense and we are proclaiming ourselves conference champions?

Hardly.

Beat Tulane. Then beat MTSU, then beat La. Tech, and then we have something to be excited about.

:thumbsu:

Excepting for maybe 1 or 2 HSO's (not in black bold) the truth speaks and UNT90 is the bearer of this truth,

I don't think Coach Mac will allow this team to buy into DDOMPPC or...................dangerous deception of media praise press clippings; especially when those clippings will suddenly make our school become "the Target" of all our CUSA opponents who want to make this same media eat their words. We are 2 & 2 so lets keep the same perspective that Coach Dan McCarney will have. He said in his post game (and I liberally paraphrase....."our players ought to feel bad about losing this one"

We cannot become the NCAA FBS school who makes such big deals out of the so called moral victory. Since 1973, I've lost count of those. Coach Mac wants to build on what happened yesterday and that to me is the best thing we can do.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

To be fair, two TD's were on blown special teams plays. The score would've been around 45-7 . You guys played hard and could very.well win the C-USA. The rain certainly didn't help the game, and we were caught looking ahead by a good team and it was close for a good bit. Farewell, good luck the rest of the season

It is what it is...but if you make those mental screw-up's against LSU or Alabama...you will come home pregnant.

• Upvote 1

I disagree, I thought McCarney's late decision to go for it on a fourth and long with that field position was crazy. The odds were against him and NT had no chance for a win, and to most casual fans the game would have looked a lot closer at 38-21. I couldn't believe this was the same coach that tried that fake field goal, punt that netted NT 11 yards in a situation I think most HC's would have went for the first down at time the game was still in play.

An argument can be made that a loss is a loss, but a program like NT needs creditability and allowing Ga to tack on another score didn't help. I think NT would have been just as likely to get another score punting it away as going for it in that situation.

Small criticism of McCarney, in a game that the pluses to me were much more than than the minuses.

You highlighted the only special teams play of the entire game that was not executed well. That punt should have been downed inside the 10 forcing GA to go 90+yds to score. Instead, he shanked it and gave them the ball at the 30. I thought that was a nice play call, poorly executed.

Being down 21-38 midway through the 4th quarter calls for going for it on 4th down to try to put yourself in a position to win the game, not punting away and letting the opposition burn clock. Unless, you're more concerned with what "most casual fans" are thinking about your program. I hope that thought never, ever crosses McCarney's mind while he is on the sideline.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

You guys are all crazy. Im going with the guy that said that most of you probably never played any sport outside of junior high. This conversation is hogwash. HOGWASH, I TELL YOU.

TRUTH BE TOLD, some of you sound like people that bet on games in the past and lost a whole lot of money, therefore hold some major resentments from backlash.

Sorry, not sorry.

Edited by SSP
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

You guys are all crazy. Im going with the guy that said that most of you probably never played any sport outside of junior high. This conversation is hogwash. HOGWASH, I TELL YOU.

TRUTH BE TOLD, some of you sound like people that bet on games in the past and lost a whole lot of money, therefore hold some major resentments from backlash.

Sorry, not sorry.

How many men's sports have you played since middle school?

Wait... Don't answers that. ITS ALL GOOD AND ALL GREEN BABY!!!

#nothinggonnastopthegreenfever

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

How many men's sports have you played since middle school?

Wait... Don't answers that. ITS ALL GOOD AND ALL GREEN BABY!!!

#nothinggonnastopthegreenfever

Mens sports... ummm.... no. They wouldnt let me if I wanted to. But, I was a D1 college athlete, so I have some frame of reference.

You highlighted the only special teams play of the entire game that was not executed well. That punt should have been downed inside the 10 forcing GA to go 90+yds to score. Instead, he shanked it and gave them the ball at the 30. I thought that was a nice play call, poorly executed.

Being down 21-38 midway through the 4th quarter calls for going for it on 4th down to try to put yourself in a position to win the game, not punting away and letting the opposition burn clock. Unless, you're more concerned with what "most casual fans" are thinking about your program. I hope that thought never, ever crosses McCarney's mind while he is on the sideline.

Yes, the punt could have been downed on the 1 inch line, but it was not. You have to be a little practical, you honestly think NT had a chance in hell of scoring 3 times with 3 minutes left.

Also fail to see your logic were a punt with the game still in play on their side of the field is a good call and punting on NT's side of the field with the game already lost is a poor choice.

Yes, I do care what casual fans think of the program; because those causal fans can become NT fans or even recruits as their perception of NT football improves. '

Also I still think punting and hoping for a fumble or other misplay on their side of the field is a much more likely scoring opportunity than NT driving the ball seventy yards in the time left and score. NT had virtually no running game. A fumble on the punt return on a slippery field seems just as likely as NT being able to mount a td march.

• Upvote 1

I want to add one more complaint: I am sick and tired of seeing Zac Whitfield getting burned down field for massive touchdowns. That is all.

That is a mystery. Have we have given up preventable long pass touchdown in every game now? I KNEW that one was coming when we had them on the two yard line after that great punt. I am not a football expert by any means but if I anticipated that pass, why didn't our team and coaches anticipate it? I'm still proud of our effort though.
  • Upvote 1

That is a mystery. Have we have given up preventable long pass touchdown in every game now? I KNEW that one was coming when we had them on the two yard line after that great punt. I am not a football expert by any means but if I anticipated that pass, why didn't our team and coaches anticipate it? I'm still proud of our effort though.

I dont understand everyone's disturbance in our secondary and not wanting to spell it out. CORNERS. Buyers is doing great, but.. then there's those other holes......

• Upvote 1

The way opinions are shot down and diluted on this board, it's no wonder so many guests and UNT fans don't want to bother registering and posting here.

HeHe...I could think of a few I wish would not have registered. Just too easy..... LOL

• Upvote 1