Waiting for rankings to come out

JesseMartin

No, I am just realistic. Maybe multiple votes if that were to happen, but we wouldn't be ranked. We are a long ways from the Top 25.

That's not being realistic. If you look at what other teams from non-AQ conferences have done to be ranked recently, you'll find it realistic that beating a team like Georgia and going 4-0 would most likely get us ranked. Unless Georgia gets routed by South Carolina. ULM got several votes after barely beating a horrendous Arkansas team without proving anything beforehand as it was their first game. After Arkansas got routed by Alabama and ULM lost their second game, they STILL got votes. But then again, nothing ever seems to go our way and in that scenario who knows what would happen but it would certainly be enough to crack the top 25 in "realistic" terms. Anyway, like I said, this conversation is pointless because non of that will happen. Maybe one day we will be ranked after consistently winning games and bowls, but a key victory against a powerful opponent goes a loooong way in college football.

Edited by bleedgreen4ever

IF we beat UGA that would probably mean they'd be sitting at 0-4..

Let's just worry about Ohio for now

This is not a realistic conversation because it won't happen, but for the sake or clarification, IF we do win, Georgia couldn't possibly be 0-4 because we're their third game. Moreover, they play South Carolina before us and they always play them very tough, so I'm not sure they'll lose against them or if they do, it'll be a very close game and respectable loss and would still be ranked in the top 16 going into our game.

Edited by bleedgreen4ever

Would of could of should of, who gives a crap.

Lets win first then see how we rank, and the fact is how we do against Ohio is still a wild card. No one here really knows, traditionally we would have the cards staked against us. Ohio looks beatable to me lets get it done then drool over it. Plus traditionally we get beat in our season opener, well that did not happen. Lets break some more current traditions especially the losing one.

Would of could of should of, who gives a crap.

Lets win first then see how we rank, and the fact is how we do against Ohio is still a wild card. No one here really knows, traditionally we would have the cards staked against us. Ohio looks beatable to me lets get it done then drool over it. Plus traditionally we get beat in our season opener, well that did not happen. Lets break some more current traditions especially the losing one.

Ohio was routed by one of the best teams in the country with probably the best QB in the nation at the helm. Just like we kicked the crap out of a horrible team so we shouldn't be so high... they don't need to be so low.

This game should be a nice barometer for what we should expect this season.

Ohio is a real measuring stick for how this year will play out. Lets just get passed that point, then start looking for top 25 votes, anointing DT the best QB ever, and then calling for a DT Heisman campaign. Please remind me, NT did play Idaho last week, right?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Ohio was routed by one of the best teams in the country with probably the best QB in the nation at the helm. Just like we kicked the crap out of a horrible team so we shouldn't be so high... they don't need to be so low.

This game should be a nice barometer for what we should expect this season.

I am not high at all, I am ready to wait and see. When October gets here we will have a better idea. I just hope we win until then.

Edited by KingDL1

Well, of course you guys were right, as usual. But look at some of the vote-getters. Teams with losing records last year that beat FCS teams, and funniest of all, Utah State got one vote for a close loss to Utah, who got zero votes. Remember, all it takes is one person voting you as #25. If you re-read my original post you'll see that I pointed out that this particular week was bizarre enough for it to happen (and considering the oddities I noted just now, it wouldn't have been any more bizarre for us to get a small nod from one voter). Because most of the cupcake games are over, I don't see it as a likelihood at all until at least Week 5 if we were to perform well.

I agree that beating a terrible Idaho team isn't all that noteworthy, but remember I was comparing it to the field of wins this weekend, not the overall season and field of teams and their schedules that are yet to come to fruition. Considering that every team was 0-0 prior to this weekend and over half of the 67 winners (now including Louisville) received at least one vote, it's all about which voter picks which random team with a win over an unimpressive team to put in their "also ran" tally at the bottom for #24 or #25.

Noticing these trends doesn't make me an idiot, it's just a habit that others don't have. If you don't pay attention to some of the odd trends in rankings, that just means you aren't interested. So for most of you, you just get to say "I told you so", but if one of you wants to insult me for being interested in the trends, you're just going out of your way to try to be a prick. And if you really were "ignoring" me then you wouldn't have to put in the effort to say so. Some people get really big balls on the interwebs and just keep trying to start something. I'm sure I'm not the only one who noticed it. I've stated flat-out that I only recently became interested in football, mostly because of UNT. Not only does that have nothing to do with years of playing (instead of watching) other sports or getting a minor in KHPR in case I ever decide to coach wrestling, swimming, volleyball, water polo etc., but I was under the impression that this was a fan board for all North Texas fans, not an elite discussion group for people who know tons about basketball and football. I learn a lot from discussions regarding types of plays, coverage, etc., and only chime in on those when I have a question. But trends in stats and the excitement of watching games, those I can easily follow.

Go ahead and keep picking fights just because the mods are apparently your friends. But eventually more people than me will get sick of your crap, and being knowledgeable about one or two sports and having the right friends won't change that.

Edited by JesseMartin
  • Upvote 1

We beat Ohio, we blow out Ball State, we upset Georgia, run the table in conference, win the CUSA championship, and having been ousted from a slot in a marquee bowl by a 3-9 B1G team, get sent to the untelevised North Dakota Border Bowl against the 45-year-old alumni club team of old D2 Sonoma State University, and win that.

Then, at the urging of the universe, DFW media, and SMU Athletics, the NCAA declares that Hayden Fry's unborn grandchild bought a pair of inappropriate Nikes in 1976, and forces UNT to vacate all victories for the past 37 years, save those glorious three in a row against FCS transitional WKU in 2007-2009, because only then did UNT wear white helmets, thus not violating the then unimposed rule of uniforms not blending in too closely with the color of the field.

. . . I was under the impression that this was a fan board for all North Texas fans, not an elite discussion group for people who know tons about basketball and football.

I think that's fair. I thought your original post was far-fetched, but I don't think you're a jerk or an idiot for posting it.

Look guys, according to the Congrove Poll (http://www.collegefootballpoll.com/current_congrove_rankings.html), we are #64, Idaho is the worst team in the country. We don't know anything yet. Ohio is #82, but Ball State is ranked ahead of us. These are do-able games but not a certainty. No way in hell we beat GA...just no way in hell. I wish it would happen but, that wish and $5 will only get you a nice coffee and some weird looks.

• Upvote 1

Yes, that part is nice too. And if you don't get the Notre Dame cup reference...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Figthing-Irish-Souvenir-Cup-/221278183607?pt=US_NCAA_Fan_Shop&hash=item33853520b7

I think I might need to get one of those.