QBs in practice...any news?

BIG DAWG

Just wondering… am I the only one a little worried that the ones picking our QB are the same ones who passed (if we are to believe) on a transfer QB that looks to be starting at LT? Just trying to figure the “talent” they are using to make these choices.

Honestly? I'm just glad to see that we have a handful of QB's in Fall camp from which to pick rather than just our usual 1 or 2.

Why are we so worried about the QB position and so few threads on the defensive line comparatively? If we solve the DL problem this team will go bowling and all the Neg' Neds will have to come up with some totally new material for this board. Like maybe the turbines outside Apogee blades are turning too fast to suit them? I pray to the good Lord above that some of our recruits never read this board at times it gets so trite on subject material.

Whoever our QB (s) are I believe will still be running the kind of offense that can control the clock and keep other offenses off the field in CUSA play. Been a long time since I felt this good about the UNT football program quite frankly, but our powers that be went out and hired someone who had been a HFC at the major college level for the first time since Fry (and Tyler's one year disaster many of us still don't count). These kind of hires just bring something different to the table and I know in Coach Mac's upcoming Year 3 he has been disected and bisected by so many, but like him or not, he brings that certain intangible with his HFC's background that we've not had for a long time in Mean Green Country.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Well, if you went to games you'd see that we do, as well as use 3 tightend sets and an H back to block for the RB at times.

Still, if you think that a guy who has now made two teams through their practice squad in the NFL was justified sitting the bench for a program that hasn't had a winning season in 8 years then what else can I say?

Rick

Well, in fairness, he wasn't a FB, he transferred to north texas as a WR and did play. He might have been the best blocking WR in D1.

Just so its clear, thats a joke.

Edited by meangreanmick
  • Upvote 1

Why are we so worried about the QB position and so few threads on the defensive line comparatively? If we solve the DL problem this team will go bowling and all the Neg' Neds will have to come up with some totally new material for this board. Like maybe the turbines outside Apogee blades are turning too fast to suit them? I pray to the good Lord above that some of our recruits never read this board at times it gets so trite on subject material.

Because our DL, moderately better at best, can't do anything about our QB throwing a pick 6, or throwing a would be TD into the stands.

• Upvote 1

Because our DL, moderately better at best, can't do anything about our QB throwing a pick 6, or throwing a would be TD into the stands.

Way too much on this board is so based on the past as if one's QB talent are set in stone never to change or improve.

As I recall watching some replay games from last Fall DT#7 had a handful of bounced off receivers hands passes which became interceptions. A shame they have no statistic for that in the boxscore accounts which could read like>>>>>>>BORH&GDTGI (BOUNCED OFF RECEIVERS HANDS AND GOL' DARN THING GOT INTERCEPTED)? :blink: .

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Honestly? I'm just glad to see that we have a handful of QB's in Fall camp from which to pick rather than just our usual 1 or 2.

Whoever our QB (s) are I believe will still be running the kind of offense that can control the clock and keep other offenses off the field in CUSA play. Been a long time since I felt this good about the UNT football program quite frankly, but our powers that be went out and hired someone who had been a HFC at the major college level for the first time since Fry (and Tyler's one year disaster many of us still don't count). These kind of hires just bring something different to the table and I know in Coach Mac's upcoming Year 3 he has been disected and bisected by so many, but like him or not, he brings that certain intangible with his HFC's background that we've not had for a long time in Mean Green Country.

GMG!

You know what "intangible" I care about? Winning. Otherwise it's just tired stories about Iowa State and Florida.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Only my opinion, but if he is not a clear cut starter, or he is not clearly a level above the other backups then I would hope he would be red shirted.

This right here!!!

Confidence is so important in high level athletics. We do not need to take a chance on destroying his confidence if he is not head and shoulders above the other 3.

After thinking it over, I don't believe this is good news for the offense or for UNT's season.

Told y'all this was going to happen but did y'all listen? Nope! Good ol Uncle FroggyStyle is right again.

You all should see some of my other posts foreshadowing other stuff to come for this years team.

For y'all sake, y'all better hope the freshman can play. Even then, he likely will not be enough and UNT will be anywhere from 0-12 to 4-8. No quarterback and a very poor D Line among other things is just asking for trouble.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

If you actually knew what you were talking about, you wouldn't need to "foreshadow" it, you would just say it outright. Go back and read your own posts, because what you were doing wasn't "foreshadowing", you were stating your weak ass opinion which was in fact something that 95% of everyone else knows on the forum knows, so its really not all that impressive and probably not worth getting on this forum and showing your ass about.

Now, get off the computer, finish washing my 16 year old sons Ranger Rover and return it to my garage.

• Upvote 2

I would have responded sooner but work has been killing me as of lately. Anyway...

To compare our qb situation to UNT's is downright insulting. Piland could come to Denton tomorrow and be named the starter shortly after.

UNT has no viable options at qb, their situation is basically who stinks the least. In our case, we brought in highly recruited O'Korn, one of the top JUCO qbs in the country in Cosh and moderately recruited Ward. All of them in addition to Kohlhausen, have been pushing for the starting spot. Unlike UNT, we have numerous options as to who gets under center. I agree that Piland isn't one of the better quarterbacks we've had over the years but he's light years better than the guys under center in Denton.

Sure, a UNT fan or any school for that manner, considering we do have a lot of Big 12 guys there, can post on Coogfans. You know as well as I do that the other Coogs are a lot meaner and more aggressive than I am. (Especially when considering that I'm not really mean at all) and knowing how thin skinned a lot of folks around GMG are, said poster would be ran off of the site by them within a matter of days if not hours. Just like all of the others who tried to do that.

Yes, I used to be one of them when I was called Eagle Green. After my defection (inb4 Emmitt says I failed out again because he can't come up with anything else) I returned and saw the cesspool that is GMG and what it has become save for a handful of posters.

I never said I hated UNT, quite the opposite plus I will always have a soft spot for UNT and Denton in my heart...GMG not so much.

By the way, we have 2 more practices that are going to be open to the public.

http://www.uhcougars.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/081113aaa.html

I would have responded sooner but work has been killing me as of lately. Anyway...

Too bad work failed.

• Upvote 1

Told y'all this was going to happen but did y'all listen? Nope! Good ol Uncle FroggyStyle is right again.

You all should see some of my other posts foreshadowing other stuff to come for this years team.

For y'all sake, y'all better hope the freshman can play. Even then, he likely will not be enough and UNT will be anywhere from 0-12 to 4-8. No quarterback and a very poor D Line among other things is just asking for trouble.

And why in God's name would you care one way or another? Truly, do you have mental problems? Of course, if you did you'd probably just keep on posting the same kind of lagniape you post now. Have you thought about another hobby than posting on this message board?

• Upvote 1

Well, if you went to games you'd see that we do, as well as use 3 tightend sets and an H back to block for the RB at times.

Still, if you think that a guy who has now made two teams through their practice squad in the NFL was justified sitting the bench for a program that hasn't had a winning season in 8 years then what else can I say?

Rick

I have been to the games, travelling roughly 5 hours one way, for the last five plus years. He played three years under Dodge as a WR, who according to the coaches, never was proficient at running routes. Dodge, if you watched those games, did not use a fullback and rarely multiple TE's. He then played one year under Mac and obviously didn't do much to set himself apart. I am glad he is finding success in the NFL. Try again.

After I watched the QB motivation video, I bit my tongue because nobody else said anything, but I'm glad you guys are talking about Dajon. Yeah, I'm not the lifelong and perennial football guy like most of you, but I'm huge on training and conditioning. Only one guy stood out on that video, and if you don't agree please take another look. I know, practice doesn't always equal field preparedness, but I do like it when you can tell just from a minute-long clip that one guy is extremely focused in practice. It shows a lot of discipline and personal responsibility as far as I'm concerned. I don't intend to open this up to another "talent and performance versus hard work and leadership" discussion, but the fact that I was checking jersey numbers and going, "11...11...11...Dajon looks really good..." made me wonder if anybody else was going to mention something in the midst of the existing 3-way quarterback debate. I still just hope the guy who's best prepared gets the job, but seeing his ability to stand out with just the basics made me hopeful about the future. A lot of the fighters and wrestlers I've known obsessed over getting the basics down to perfection and letting everything else be the icing on the cake. I think the key in any extremely physical sport is ensuring that all of the standard stuff just comes naturally so that you don't even have to think about it, leaving your decision-making for all of the "icing".

Truly, do you have mental problems?

Did you not know he is a psychologist? Translation: he is still trying to figure out the problems stemming from his childhood or, most likely, he just likes to talk to people worse off than he is so he can try and believe that his life isn't the F'd up mess that he really, deep down, knows that it is.

The second option would also explain his stalking a football fan base that doesn't give 2 shits about him or his team .

To compare our qb situation to UNT's is downright insulting. Piland could come to Denton tomorrow and be named the starter shortly after.

UNT has no viable options at qb, their situation is basically who stinks the least. In our case, we brought in highly recruited O'Korn, one of the top JUCO qbs in the country in Cosh and moderately recruited Ward. All of them in addition to Kohlhausen, have been pushing for the starting spot. Unlike UNT, we have numerous options as to who gets under center. I agree that Piland isn't one of the better quarterbacks we've had over the years but he's light years better than the guys under center in Denton.

Sure, a UNT fan or any school for that manner, considering we do have a lot of Big 12 guys there, can post on Coogfans. You know as well as I do that the other Coogs are a lot meaner and more aggressive than I am. (Especially when considering that I'm not really mean at all) and knowing how thin skinned a lot of folks around GMG are, said poster would be ran off of the site by them within a matter of days if not hours. Just like all of the others who tried to do that.

Yes, I used to be one of them when I was called Eagle Green. After my defection (inb4 Emmitt says I failed out again because he can't come up with anything else) I returned and saw the cesspool that is GMG and what it has become save for a handful of posters.

I never said I hated UNT, quite the opposite plus I will always have a soft spot for UNT and Denton in my heart...GMG not so much.

By the way, we have 2 more practices that are going to be open to the public.

http://www.uhcougars.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/081113aaa.html

First, if you are working night shift tonight at university of Hilton, I would like a wake up call at 5:30. Second, I would like two eggs over medium, two slices of bacon slightly cripsy but not burned, with toast (lightly buttered) and mean green apple jelly. Lastly, do not ever make eye contact with me, or anyone else on GMG. That goes for your buddy, doggy style from Ft. Worth too.

• Upvote 3

I have been to the games, travelling roughly 5 hours one way, for the last five plus years. He played three years under Dodge as a WR, who according to the coaches, never was proficient at running routes. Dodge, if you watched those games, did not use a fullback and rarely multiple TE's. He then played one year under Mac and obviously didn't do much to set himself apart. I am glad he is finding success in the NFL. Try again.

Three years for Dodge huh?

How about one year for Dodge after transferring in from playing two years at El Camino JC in Torrence CA?

Olawale had 6 catches for 80 yards receiving for Dodge and several tackles on SP, but only had two catches for 9 under Mac.

But somehow, only three months later,..a guy who couldnt even get on the field for a 4-8 Sunbelt team miraculously becomes one of the 1,952 best football players in the world. You don't make pro practice squads if you are slow and soft. The dude can deliver the heat and has good hands. There's no way he couldn't have beaten someone for more playing time.

There's a highlight video below. It has several game highlights under Dodge and a few practice ones. Then there's about 4 to 6 plays of game film under Mac and the rest are of practice plays.

MeanGreenMick was right,..he may have been the best blocking WR around then. And at 240 lbs with 4:53 speed he's now being utilized as a FB for the Raiders, which is where I thought he could have been used here. Maybe he was injured, if not you would have thought he could have played several positions for us and saw the field more somewhere?

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick