The Ticket

JRock

Was just listening to the ticket. They were talking about college football. Saying there were two games going on in DFW the weekend of the 29th. Tech at SMU and LSU vs TCU. Same ole same ole media. Good grief.

They may believe those are the only two games that weekend, but on Monday, North Texas will be the only DFW team to post a win. LSU will destroy TCU, and Tech is going stomp SMU. I see the Idaho game as an opportunity to start the season in the right direction. By the 8th week of the season, it just looks like the first "W" on our record.

• Upvote 3

Come on. The Jerry Jones impersonation is hilarious.

I think a lot of arguments people used to make with me in favor of Russ Martin apply to the bits on the ticket. Apparently, you need to have grown up here to really "get" it.

Incidentally, I don't think I've ever actually heard Russ Martin speak. Mostly I just heard him laughing like he'd taken a monster hit off a gnarly bong.

Just a plug for him because he's a great guy and fromer DRC sports editor, but Richard Durrett's show with Ian Fitzsimmons is really good. And they are planning to talk a lot more about college football than any other show in the market on any station. Just be prepared for AQ BS from Fitzsimmons--he loves the big schools. Their show is on ESPN 103.3 from 11:00 to 3:00 before GAC.

Otherwise, just listen to the Ticket for the laughs. I usually switch back to Bad Radio when their show has a commercial break. All of those Ticket guys can talk sports, but its like a group of guys at a bar conversation--they usually get off that topic fairly quickly just too make everyone laugh. I don't take it too serious because they don't either.

As far as coverage goes, we have to do two things here to get their attention--beat a big name team or at least play them close AND then win the conference. Anything less than that, as we have seen and heard, won't change anyone's minds about non-SWC UNT in the DFW media. Just as was mentioned earlier, the one time that UNT got any mention from anyone other George on air was when we gave K-State a game in Manhattan. Next year, for example, if we had improved enough to both compete closely at Texas and win CUSA, the coverage we would see here would be unprecedented. That's not out of the question, if we keep improving like I think we will.

They may believe those are the only two games that weekend, but on Monday, North Texas will be the only DFW team to post a win. LSU will destroy TCU, and Tech is going stomp SMU. I see the Idaho game as an opportunity to start the season in the right direction. By the 8th week of the season, it just looks like the first "W" on our record.

I actually think that dirty smoo may have a chance in that game against Tech. Much as I hate to admit it, they have a MASSIVE advantage in coaching experience. It remains to be seen if Kingsbury put together a quality staff at Tech. As we've all seen, coaching matters.

• Upvote 1

Our rush hour guys here in Houston in ESPN 97.5 are the best in the biz. They dabble in a little of everything. Sports, gambling, movies/TV shows, which Disney Princess you would hook up with. They've got it all covered. Fred Faur and AJ Hoffman. Next time any of you are down check them out.

• Upvote 1

I think a lot of arguments people used to make with me in favor of Russ Martin apply to the bits on the ticket. Apparently, you need to have grown up here to really "get" it.

Incidentally, I don't think I've ever actually heard Russ Martin speak. Mostly I just heard him laughing like he'd taken a monster hit off a gnarly bong.

Can't even listen to 97.1 anymore during the afternoon because all I ever hear is Russ Martin laughing.

• Upvote 1

If anyone who is a North Texas fan expects any of these sports stations to punch their self-esteem ticket, you are sadly......well.....sad. As a group we need to let the various media outlets know that we at least expect acknowledgement of our existence. And when we call or e-mail, we need to put it on the outlet and say that if they consider themselves professionals in their business they will devote at least a few seconds to say " and also this week-end North Texas opens it's season with Idaho at home. Kick-off is 6:pm."

The worst thing you can do is whine or complain about unfair treatment. Just state your expectations plainly and firmly about what you professionally expect from them.

• Upvote 2

Our rush hour guys here in Houston in ESPN 97.5 are the best in the biz. They dabble in a little of everything. Sports, gambling, movies/TV shows, which Disney Princess you would hook up with. They've got it all covered. Fred Faur and AJ Hoffman. Next time any of you are down check them out.

Now that Disney owns Lucas Film, slave girl Leia should be pretty high up the list.
  • Upvote 1

If anyone who is a North Texas fan expects any of these sports stations to punch their self-esteem ticket, you are sadly......well.....sad. As a group we need to let the various media outlets know that we at least expect acknowledgement of our existence. And when we call or e-mail, we need to put it on the outlet and say that if they consider themselves professionals in their business they will devote at least a few seconds to say " and also this week-end North Texas opens it's season with Idaho at home. Kick-off is 6:pm."

The worst thing you can do is whine or complain about unfair treatment. Just state your expectations plainly and firmly about what you professionally expect from them.

Whining and complaining and name-calling will only make this worse with these sports media members. Silver's message is dead-on. You send out reminders, thank them for receiving your email or phone call, and just hope that it matters to them that you reached out to them politely. Otherwise, when the inevitable 72-0 score against our usual NFL-lite bodybag opponent rolls around, you'll see a ton of mentions--with added sarcasm and commentary. I've seen it happen to fans of every school in this state when their team gets pounded--"Well, all of you Tech fans out there that complain that I don't give you any attention as compared to UT or A&M, well, here ya' go. Today, at home in Lubbock, your fine team that you berate me about not covering enough, just lost a heartbreaker 65-6 to Oklahoma State. So there you go." It just makes it worse, in my opinion.

• Upvote 2

I remember when we beat Ball State on the road after they had a spectacular previous season. The Hardline was talking about the game the following Monday afternoon. Referring to North Texas, Corby said "I'm interested!" It only lasted a week though.

Beat Georgia and we'll get our share of air time.