The Zimmerman_Martin trail is underway. Today, things didn't start out so well for Zimmerman. Both eyewitnesses said they saw what appeared to be zimmerman on top of Martin during the scuffle (one said this was an assumption because of her vision), and a "boy" yelling "help". Both witnesses saw the scuffle and went to call 911, immediately hearing "pops" of a gun, meaning zimmerman was assumed to be on top of Marting right before the shootings. The infamous hoodie, gun, and other items were shown in the trial.

More about the first witnesses can be read here: http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/06/26/trayvon-martin-murder-zimmerman-sanford-florida/2458133/

• Upvote 2

Defense has not had a shot as yet. This has a long way to go and right now we are seeing only one side. Agree, however, that the prosecution has hit a few good shots to start the trial. But, prosecution often looks good at this point in lots of criminal trials. Way too early to ake any decisions, but the prosecution seems ready to go....

Knock knock

I really don't care one way of the other...the truth is not guaranteed to come out...opinions will decide this case...

Don't forget knock knock jokes.

• Upvote 4

--- It may have been self defense "somewhat" ..... BUT he was told not to follow him (and he did) and he was not supposed to be carrying a gun...( told not to have one ) He will be convicted of something ... and not receive a maximum sentence... ( my opinion ) The guy he was following was no angel but Martin knew nothing about him or had any definite reason to follow him... and following him in the dark was stupid and creepy.. Zimmerman should have expected him to be nervous and be confronted by the guy about being followed.

Knock knock ..really ... the attorney came across as an idiot.

People focusing on the knock knock joke don't seen to understand that there was 2 more hours of opening statements and a bunch of witness testimony to come.

Don't be idiots like the news media. The last thing on the jury 's mind by the time they start deliberating will be a stupid knock knock joke.

People focusing on the knock knock joke don't seen to understand that there was 2 more hours of opening statements and a bunch of witness testimony to come.

Don't be idiots like the news media. The last thing on the jury 's mind by the time they start deliberating will be a stupid knock knock joke.

True... but we still remember it ... and so will they..... the lawyer looked like an idiot... I would not want my lawyer coming across like a fool.... not good ..

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

True... but we still remember it ... and so will they..... the lawyer looked like an idiot... I would not want my lawyer coming across like a fool.... not good ..

You remember it because the news media and twitter tell you to remember it.

Won't make a hill of beans.

• Upvote 1

You remember it because the news media and twitter tell you to remember it.

Won't make a hill of beans.

Agree .. won't change anything but not why I remember it ... I saw it and thought that was really stupid .. ( oldest son has a law degree ) - never used twitter

Agree .. won't change anything but not why I remember it ... I saw it and thought that was really stupid .. ( oldest son has a law degree ) - never used twitter

Point is, of all things to concentrate on, that is what was reported. It's not like you were in the courtroom to hear the rest of his opening statement. You can only go by the information that the media feeds you.

Those jurors got to hear everything, and didn't have the joke pounded into their memory by the media (if they are following juror instructions). That joke was forgotten 30 minutes in.

And for the record, the joke wasn't that bad, but the delivery was terrible.

Point is, of all things to concentrate on, that is what was reported. It's not like you were in the courtroom to hear the rest of his opening statement. You can only go by the information that the media feeds you.

Those jurors got to hear everything, and didn't have the joke pounded into their memory by the media (if they are following juror instructions). That joke was forgotten 30 minutes in.

And for the record, the joke wasn't that bad, but the delivery was terrible.

I love you, but derp freakin' herp. Love the use of "you" like you are this higher power in the room taking notes and out reporting the court reporter. It was a major misstep and I have't seen something that tone deaf to a situation since...well...posts in this section of GMG. Try starting a business meeting with a joke sometime that fails that terribly, give the presentation of a lifetime and then see if anyone even considers holding the opening against you.

It won't define the case, but it is worth commenting on in the moment. We do agree it's just a small point to a bigger episode, but I bet that won't stop us from going back and forth for days about it.

--- It may have been self defense "somewhat" ..... BUT he was told not to follow him (and he did) and he was not supposed to be carrying a gun...( told not to have one ) He will be convicted of something ... and not receive a maximum sentence... ( my opinion ) The guy he was following was no angel but Martin knew nothing about him or had any definite reason to follow him... and following him in the dark was stupid and creepy.. Zimmerman should have expected him to be nervous and be confronted by the guy about being followed.

Knock knock ..really ... the attorney came across as an idiot.

Dispatchers do not give lawful orders. They can advise someone not to follow, but one is not legally bound to comply. If he had his CHL, which I believe he did, then he can legally carry his gun. This "not supposed to" is a moot point. According to Zimmerman, he had stopped following, and was returning to his vehicle. AT THIS POINT, any threat to Martin was eliminated. IF Martin confronted Zimmerman at this time, Trayvon Martin, becomes the initator. Thus, if this version of events is accurate, then self defense is applicable. According to the prosecution's "star witness", Martin was by his father's house. If he was so afraid of a "creepy ass crakcer" following him, then a resonable person would have run inside, and called police. One who is afraid will not turn and confront the threat. You will try to get to a secure location to protect yourself.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

I love you, but derp freakin' herp. Love the use of "you" like you are this higher power in the room taking notes and out reporting the court reporter. It was a major misstep and I have't seen something that tone deaf to a situation since...well...posts in this section of GMG. Try starting a business meeting with a joke sometime that fails that terribly, give the presentation of a lifetime and then see if anyone even considers holding the opening against you.

Really? Becauae you went through a week in the jury selection process like those jurors, right?

Like or dislike whatever usage of any words that you want, it still doesn't change the fact that the media is going to do everything possible to make the defense look terrible to sway public (see: your) opinion.

Did you here about the defense's theory of what happened? Did you see thoughtful analysis of the prosecution vs. the defense's opening statements? No. You heard that the defense told a joke and the prosecution cussed. A lot of that is a reflection of the intelligence in today's media, but you are also not going to hear one good thing about the defense because racism sells, whether or not it is actually racism.

Trial is not like making a business sale. Just a terrible comparison. If that were the case, the prosecution had this case won before jury selection as they had a huge brand through the free marketing campaign provided by the national media. I think we all know that any businessman would not choose the mom and pop market over Walmart.

Why so emotional, anyway?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Really? Becauae you went through a week in the jury selection process like those jurors, right?

Like or dislike whatever usage of any words that you want, it still doesn't change the fact that the media is going to do everything possible to make the defense look terrible to sway public (see: your) opinion.

Did you here about the defense's theory of what happened? Did you see thoughtful analysis of the prosecution vs. the defense's opening statements? No. You heard that the defense told a joke and the prosecution cussed. A lot of that is a reflection of the intelligence in today's media, but you are also not going to hear one good thing about the defense because racism sells, whether or not it is actually racism.

Trial is not like making a business sale. Just a terrible comparison. If that were the case, the prosecution had this case won before jury selection as they had a huge brand through the free marketing campaign provided by the national media. I think we all know that any businessman would not choose the mom and pop market over Walmart.

Why so emotional, anyway?

I watched about an hour of the trial/live-ish coverage during a workout Friday afternoon because I couldn't stand to run in the heat. The defense has a bumbling quality to it, but they seemed better than the joke. I also barely care about this case, but did enjoy seeing a Facebook post of Mr. Martin with angel wings very similar to the angelic Barbaros of years past.

I'm sorry the first impression comparison went right over your head and you went oddly literal with it. I'm also glad you aren't in charge of any of my company's supply chain decisions. If we didn't use a mix of major and mom and pop suppliers, we'd have gone under years ago.

Really wasn't emotional at all - just bored.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

As I break from grant writing, I visit news.google.com and read the commentary on the Zimmerman/Martin trial (among other articles). I find that both Zimmerman and Martin are guilty of unrestrained pride. Zimmerman should not have persued Martin, as instructed by the 911 operator, but he really thought he was doing good by engaging the suspect and attempting to get him out of his neighborhood (he wanted to be a cop, afterall). Martin, should have called 911 himself and ran home...all the way home.

Instead, 2 unrestrained egos encountered each other and the armed one won. Really, nobody won. Martin is dead and hopefully Zimmerman will spend much needed time in the slammer. I say this because we are living in the time when bad behavior is rewarded and we don't want more Zimmerman's provoking fights just to "stand their ground."

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

As I break from grant writing, I visit news.google.com and read the commentary on the Zimmerman/Martin trial (among other articles). I find that both Zimmerman and Martin are guilty of unrestrained pride. Zimmerman should not have persued Martin, as instructed by the 911 operator, but he really thought he was doing good by engaging the suspect and attempting to get him out of his neighborhood (he wanted to be a cop, afterall). Martin, should have called 911 himself and ran home...all the way home.

Instead, 2 unrestrained egos encountered each other and the armed one won. Really, nobody won. Martin is dead and hopefully Zimmerman will spend much needed time in the slammer. I say this because we are living in the time when bad behavior is rewarded and we don't want more Zimmerman's provoking fights just to "stand their ground."

I can dig this. Zim should've followed procedure and stayed at a distance and only report. Martin should've gone the hell home and called for law enforcement.

• Upvote 2

I think at this point it might come down to whether he gets a max jail sentence of life (2nd Degree Murder) or 30 years (Manslaughter).

• Upvote 1

He won't go to jail.

Really don't know if he will or not, but at this point it sure appears that the prosecution has not proved a case of 2nd degree murder.

What I wonder is this...will people accept the verdict no matter which way it goes? Doubtful.

• Upvote 3