Season makers & breakers

NT03

My point is...we haven't been upset at Apogee. We, however, have pulled off upsets.

We have beat Indiana, FAU, ULM, MTSU, TSU, ULL and USA at home.

We have lost to Houston, WKU, Troy and Arkansas State at home.

All teams we were supposed to lose to.

I'll take my chances.

I would take the Troy home loss off your list.

Quickly.

• Upvote 2

I can't see us losing to Idaho. They are in complete rebuild mode. When you get to looking at the schedule the games that stick out as potential turning points are the Tulane game. Its the first conference game and UNT will want to start off on a good note. Either the Ball St or Ohio game those are going to be tough games for UNT to win, but are essential to having a winning record. If UNT doesnt beat either Ohio or Ball St then I would say we are looking at a 3 or 4 win season.

Just realize that we will not be favored in either the Ball St. game or the Ohio game.

• Upvote 1

Just realize that we will not be favored in either the Ball St. game or the Ohio game.

I do realize that. I know we wont be favored in the Ohio game, we know thats a fact. The Ball St game is up in the air. If we beat Ohio then yes we will be favored. If we lose and Ball St. is 2-0 which is likely then No we won't be favored. Ball St would probably be favored by 3 or 4.

I do realize that. I know we wont be favored in the Ohio game, we know thats a fact. The Ball St game is up in the air. If we beat Ohio then yes we will be favored. If we lose and Ball St. is 2-0 which is likely then No we won't be favored. Ball St would probably be favored by 3 or 4.

If the lines were set today, we would be a dog, probably a little more than 3 or 4 points, maybe even a full 7 points

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

To me the maker for this season is beating one of those MAC Schools in OOC. Both are just as good as anything that CUSA will throw out there.

The breaker of the season is losing to Idaho or Tulane, because you literally won't win more than 2 games at most.

The overall maker for me is winning 8+ games and going to a bowl game.

The breaker of all time for me as a fan is losing to UTSA--that line cannot be crossed...

I would sure hope it doesn't happen this year. But if our recruiting doesn't seriously pick up soon, losing to UTSA in the near future is a concept we'd all better start wrapping our minds around.

I was in San Antonio this past weekend, and I was reminded yet again of all the advantages UTSA will have in their favor as the years go by. Thatv town loves their SPurs and want desperately to have someone else to root for as their own. I realize that they have UT just up the road and their are a ton of Aggies there, too, but they are lots of potential fans for UTSA to get just because they will have that entire city as their own. In that way, alone, they are like UTEP to me. Maybe they will fall on their face for the next 30 years, but I suspect that they will get this thing going soon.

But with all that said, this year will be a painful reminder of just how far they have to go in the FBS world. Their schedule is brutal for their current roster. It will look a lot like our 1995 schedule. That is why I will find a loss to them as the ultimate give up. That is my line in the sand, unless UTSA is somehow really good, which I highly doubt they will be in 2013. Now, 2014 and beyond is a completely different deal. I expect them to battle the CUSA teams very hard in the future. The advantages they have over us are staggering in my point view--no market to share with other peers at FBS right now, media spotlight in both TV and print, potentially large fanbase in their city, and OOC scheduled games at home--they could really zoom forward if they do this right. Plus, they have never disappointed their own fanbse and the local media by dropping football down for a generation of fans, so they aren't still trying to win these people back 20+ years later like we are.

I think that Texas State and North Texas are going to be the apples to apples to compare over the next decade--since we are both on the outskirts of the main cities and we aren't going to get much help from our in-state brethren when it comes to anything.

• Upvote 1

The only people in the country who think we may or will lose to Idaho are on gomeangreen.com

I laughed pretty hard at this...oohhh...it's funny because it's true...

I would sure hope it doesn't happen this year. But if our recruiting doesn't seriously pick up soon, losing to UTSA in the near future is a concept we'd all better start wrapping our minds around.

I also agree with this one as well as Jim's reply to it. They are going to be very competitive very quickly. This year will be tough for them but I still expect their momentum to keep picking up over the next couple of years.

I laughed pretty hard at this...oohhh...it's funny because it's true...

I also agree with this one as well as Jim's reply to it. They are going to be very competitive very quickly. This year will be tough for them but I still expect their momentum to keep picking up over the next couple of years.

I think many are overrating the birds in San Antonio. I think they will be roadkill for years to come.

• Upvote 1