2013 UNT FB Season W/L Predictions

Harry

Saturday
Aug. 31 Idaho Vandals
Apogee Stadium, Denton, TX TBA --- Saturday - This is a game we should win; although should is a scary term for North Texas fans. This is not the same Idaho program we faced back the day and having them at home makes a win likely.

1-0

Sept. 7 at Ohio Bobcats
Peden Stadium, Athens, OH TBA --- Biggest early test of the 2013 calendar. Ohio will be tough and physical as always. They have a good team led by a very talented QB. I see us competing in this game but coming up just short on the road. This is one of those games that IF we could win would start us down a path of optimism and excitement for a season we haven't seen in some time.

1-1

Sept. 14 Ball State Cardinals
Apogee Stadium, Denton, TX Time TBA - This is going to be a tough but very winnable game at home. We came out ahead of Ball State on the road last time in an exciting game and my money says we will do the same this time in the friendly confines of Apogee.

2-1

Sept. 21 at Georgia Bulldogs
Sanford Stadium, Athens, GA ---- Payday game that you hope you can keep close and stay injury free in. Just wish we didn't have to play these games but we do so make the best of it.

2-2

Sept. 28 --- Open Date --- --- Saturday --- This is an EARLY open spot and being after Georgia is a nice chance to get healthy.

Oct. 5 at Tulane Green Wave
Mercedes-Benz Superdome, New Orleans, LA 2:30 p.m. CT - Can you say HUGE starting game to the conference slate? Tulane has been down but showed signs of coming back up with the big upset over SMU last year. This is a winnable game and it would be a nice feather in our cap to beat these guys who have been owning us in Louisiana recruiting the last couple of years. I think we will win this game!

3-2

Oct. 12 Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders
Apogee Stadium, Denton, TX TBA --- Saturday - Another very winnable game at home. MUTS are going to be good as always, and we have to prepare against the letdown after a big win against Tulane and showdown with La. Tech the following week but again, I like our chances at home against this team with McCarney at the helm. I think the key will be our improved secondary not allowing them to get easy scores and our running game churning out the clock.

4-2

Oct. 19 at Louisiana Tech Bulldogs
Joe Aillet Stadium, Ruston, LA 3:00 p.m. CT - Tech lost a lot of players but that was off of a legitimate bowl team and they landed a quality prospect in Scotty Young. Do you think Young will have any motivation to play us when we didn't offer him a scholarship? This game is going to be very intense but I am going to use my head instead of my heart and say Tech will pull this one out in front of the home crowd. They have won too many games and are just father along the building curve although I hope I am wrong about this.

4-3

Oct. 26 at Southern Miss Golden Eagles
M.M. Roberts Stadium, Hattiesburg, MS TBA - Southern Miss was not near as bad as their record indicated last season and this is a tough road game for anyone. I know many are penciling this in as a win but I will not do that because I have too much respect for their program. I think we will lose this game by a razor thin margin on the road against a more battle tested and proven program that will rebound from a temporary setback year.

4-4

Oct. 31 Rice Owls
Apogee Stadium, Denton, TX 6:30 p.m. CT
Fox Sports --- Saturday - I scouted Rice at the Armed Forces Bowl last year and they will be one of the top teams in the conference next year. They have size, speed and play very smart. I actually see them potentially edging out Tulsa for the top spot in the west and they almost pulled that off last season. We will suffer our first home loss in 2013 against Rice.

4-5

Nov. 9 UTEP Miners
Apogee Stadium, Denton, TX Time TBA
CSS --- Saturday - UTEP has had some down years under Price but has not ever been a terrible program and this makes this game interesting and a little scary. I will say we win this in a close contest being that it is at home.

5-5

Nov. 16 --- Open Date --- --- Saturday

Nov. 23 UTSA Roadrunners
Apogee Stadium, Denton, TX TBA --- Saturday - Love our new mates from SA but this year will be a rude awakening for them against a much high level of competition, and yes that includes North Texas. UTSA has some decent starters but as a start up program their issue is quality depth and I think it will be very difficult for them later in the C-USA slate especially with their non conference schedule being very ambitious. I think the Mean Green will win this game at home.

6-5

Nov. 30 at Tulsa Golden Hurricane
Skelly Field at H.A. Chapman Stadium, Tulsa, OK Time TBA
Fox Sports --- Saturday - Tulsa is still a tier above where we have been although I think we will edge close to them from a competitive standpoint this season I don't see us winning this game because I think Tulsa and Rice are the best teams in C-USA this year.

Final 2013 record prediction: 6-6

Dec. 7 C-USA Championship Game
Hosted by team with highest C-USA winning % Time TBA
ESPN or ESPN2 --- I see the C-USA championship game being Tulsa and East Carolina with Tulsa winning it all.

I agree with Harry for the most part...but see Southern Miss as a win...I agree that it will be a close game, because I don't think we are going to kill anyone, but this is one we win.

7-5

...BUT...it seems I predict 7-5 every stinking year, and very seldom have I been right

• Upvote 2

4-8 just don't think we have any better talent than last year. Please lord I hope they prove me wrong. Losing got old years ago.

I hear you Houston, but again look at the schedule and look at the records of the teams we play from last year and it is not a stretch by any means to see us going 6-6... if we throw silly 4th quarter interceptions when leading the game 24-10 we could go 2-10 but all things being equal we have a legitimate shot at bowl eligibility this season with this schedule in my opinion.

I agree with Harry for the most part...but see Southern Miss as a win...I agree that it will be a close game, because I don't think we are going to kill anyone, but this is one we win.

7-5

...BUT...it seems I predict 7-5 every stinking year, and very seldom have I been right

I can also see Southern Miss being a close and exciting win. Hopefully I'm not being too optimistic though. I want to believe we'll see North Texas in a bowl game this year.

I completely agree with the predictions of all the Texas teams we will be facing, if we lose to anyone in Texas, except for Rice, I might honestly break down and cry...

• Upvote 1

I can also see Southern Miss being a close and exciting win. Hopefully I'm not being too optimistic though. I want to believe we'll see North Texas in a bowl game this year.

I completely agree with the predictions of all the Texas teams we will be facing, if we lose to anyone in Texas, except for Rice, I might honestly break down and cry...

I marked Southern Miss as a loss, but I see the Southern Miss game and the Tulane game as very similar almost interchangeable. they are both on the road and they are both games we could end up winning or losing. of course winning them both would be huge for the program this first year in C-USA.

• Upvote 1

I know I've come out as not the biggest fan of Byrd and DT, but I really do believe we will only win 3 or 4 games if those two don't improve from last year and we don't replace them. 105th in the nation in scoring is not going to cut it, so that means DT is going to have to be more accurate in the red zone and Byrd will have to run with his head up and get in the end zone (0 red-zone touchdowns against FBS opponents).

Yeah I know our defense has work to do, but DT and Byrd wasted too much good blocking last year, both in the red zone and overall. They have to improve, our else we can't let them keep their jobs all year like they did last year.

• Upvote 2

Im new to mean green football, so im not coming in with past disappointments. I did follow last season and I predict 7-5. im not sure that means UNT has improved that much. I think they go 7-5 if they play a little bit better than last year, and I think they are capable.

The schedule worked out good with so miss and Tulane on the road. That gives us a good shot a road wins. I know there is doom and gloom with Unt fans, but im sorry, 0-12 is a horrible team. If people can assume they will be better, than I also have to assume Unt will be too. Tulanes 2-10 record in cusa is pretty bad too.

And rice at home should at least be a pickem. Rice had a nice season and picked it up at the end, but 3 wins came from 1-11 Kansas, 2-10 Tulane, and utsa...im not ready to say they can go and beat a decent team on the road. They lost to a bad Memphis team.

this years schedule is not a tough as last years.

• Upvote 1

Idaho-Easy win, will be a big crowd, opening at home. Expect a blowout.

Ohio-Loss. Team will be better than last year. Will roll.

Ball State-Close win.

Georgia-Loss.

Tulane-Easy win.

MUTS-Will be a fun game. We will win, since it's home.

Tech-Loss. Really underestimated team.

Southern Miss-They'll be close to as bad as they were last year so we'll win.

Rice-Toss up. I say win.

UTEP-Loss. UTEP will be a battle.

UTSA-Blowout win.

Tulsa-We lose.

Stand by 7-5. Feeling confident. I don't think we need to improve too much to get there and I think CUSA is a step down in competition.

• Upvote 1

I see it like this.

Wins= Idaho, @Tulane, @ Southern Miss, UTEP, and UTSA.

5-7 with a slightly improved outlook. Coach Mac enters his 4th year on a warm seat, but he has Berglund ready to go after it in 2014 to get us to 7 wins and a bowl berth, which leads to an extension for Coach Mac.

If we really exceeded realistic expectations, we would win 8 games (add in 3 wins over Ball State, MUTS, La Tech, and Rice).

If we fall off the wagon, we still beat Idaho and UTSA.

• Upvote 1

Same 4-5 wins. I don't see much hope for improvement from last year.

I can't say that I agree with you. I think our secondary will be VASTLY improved from last season. We didn't lose anyone and have gained a lot by adding James Jones (I think he's a potential all C-USA caliber player), Zed Evans (fastest player on the team) and our one of our top freshmen signees is CB Chad Davis. All conference Whitfield is back, Hilbert Jackson, Laramie Lee, Marcus Trice and hopefully Freddie Warner.

I think a lineup of Jones and Whitfield at corner and Lee and Trice or Evans at safety is better than we have had in a long long time.

All of our best linebackers are back.

Our defensive line is a weakness but honestly, did we really lose anyone who made an impact? Vito says Obi, but I didn't see him necessarily as a difference maker. Even with the injury to Q I still think we will improve there (I think Daryl Mason could be special this year and Boutwell, Bellazin and Sarge will be solid).

We come in with more talent and depth at QB than we have had in a long, long time. Say what you want about DT but he has seen some games and shown he can do some things when he has talent around him. Berglund is the wildcard but we saw his raw ability in the spring game...will he be ready? That's a big question mark. McNulty has clearly improved and put himself in a different place with the redshirt season. You hope and pray that DaJon Williams is able to redshirt but it's clear that this kid has some ability.

Our entire offensive line returns with the exception of Fort but we have a juco (McKinney) and a nice looking RS freshman (Kaydon Kirby) coming in with Feldt for depth.

We lose Power but could be replacing him with a more powerful athletic player in Loving. Dru Miller is solid and we get Danny Prior back. I think Marcus Smith (if healthy and that's a big IF) and Cooper Jones (more as a tall receiver) could be interesting there too.

The entire stable of running backs will be back. I hope McCarney will consider looking at freshman Fred Scott at FB in some situations cause I think he's a beast.

We upgrade at wide receiver just the fact that Chancellor is healthy. Carlos Harris proved his mettle. We also add pieces with Darius Terrell and add some other potential playmakers like Darvin Kidsey.

Our special teams should be fine with Olen and Macek although Macek will have some damn big shoes to fill. We have more athletes which should correspond to better special teams although I admit that is not a given.

I don't disagree that you can feel ambivalent about the record heading into this season given our past and the fact we are taking on better competition. But I don't see how anyone can question how we shouldn't see improvement just based on the players we have returning and have added to the mix. Mac didn't take short cuts and the road the last couple of seasons has been long but we should start seeing some dividends this season.

I can't say that I agree with you. I think our secondary will be VASTLY improved from last season. We didn't lose anyone and have gained a lot by adding James Jones (I think he's a potential all C-USA caliber player), Zed Evans (fastest player on the team) and our one of our top freshmen signees is CB Chad Davis. All conference Whitfield is back, Hilbert Jackson, Laramie Lee, Marcus Trice and hopefully Freddie Warner.

I think a lineup of Jones and Whitfield at corner and Lee and Trice or Evans at safety is better than we have had in a long long time.

Our defensive line is a weakness but honestly, did we really lose anyone who made an impact? Vito says Obi, but I didn't see him necessarily as a difference maker. Even with the injury to Q I still think we will improve there (I think Daryl Mason could be special this year and Boutwell, Bellazin and Sarge will be solid).

We come in with more talent and depth at QB than we have had in a long, long time. Say what you want about DT but he has seen some games and shown he can do some things when he has talent around him. Berglund is the wildcard but we saw his raw ability in the spring game...will he be ready? That's a big question mark. McNulty has clearly improved and put himself in a different place with the redshirt season. You hope and pray that DaJon Williams is able to redshirt but it's clear that this kid has some ability.

Our entire offensive line returns with the exception of Fort but we have a juco (McKinney) and a nice looking RS freshman (Kaydon Kirby) coming in with Feldt for depth.

We lose Power but could be replacing him with a more powerful athletic player in Loving. Dru Miller is solid and we get Danny Prior back. I think Marcus Smith (if healthy and that's a big IF) and Cooper Jones (more as a tall receiver) could be interesting there too.

The entire stable of running backs will be back. I hope McCarney will consider looking at freshman Fred Scott at FB in some situations cause I think he's a beast.

We upgrade at wide receiver just the fact that Chancellor is healthy. Carlos Harris proved his mettle. We also add pieces with Darius Terrell and add some other potential playmakers like Darvin Kidsey.

Our special teams should be fine with Olen and Macek although Macek will have some damn big shoes to fill. We have more athletes which should correspond to better special teams although I admit that is not a given.

I don't disagree that you can feel ambivalent about the record heading into this season given our past and the fact we are taking on better competition. But I don't see how anyone can question how we shouldn't see improvement just based on the players we have returning and have added to the mix. Mac didn't take short cuts and the road the last couple of seasons has been long but we should start seeing some dividends this season.

Plus 1

• Upvote 1

I see it like this.

Wins= Idaho, @Tulane, @ Southern Miss, UTEP, and UTSA.

5-7 with a slightly improved outlook. Coach Mac enters his 4th year on a warm seat, but he has Berglund ready to go after it in 2014 to get us to 7 wins and a bowl berth, which leads to an extension for Coach Mac.

If we really exceeded realistic expectations, we would win 8 games (add in 3 wins over Ball State, MUTS, La Tech, and Rice).

If we fall off the wagon, we still beat Idaho and UTSA.

Jim I would be VERY careful about penciling in Southern Miss as a win. Yes they lost 12 games last season but when you dig down deep into it, a lot of those losses were VERY close and they had a ton of injuries at key positions which only got worse as the season developed. I saw them in an early game against a #17 Nebraska team on the road last season and they were physically right in that game. At halftime it was 28-17. What happened was Nebraska's depth just wore them out and they ended up losing 49-20...they have some very good players and a new coach who is highly regarded. I think they are going to come back in a big way this year. The one thing that hurts them is their non conference schedule is BRUTAL this year with roadies at Corn, Hog and Potatoe.

Jim I would be VERY careful about penciling in Southern Miss as a win. Yes they lost 12 games last season but when you dig down deep into it, a lot of those losses were VERY close and they had a ton of injuries at key positions which only got worse as the season developed. I saw them in an early game against a #17 Nebraska team on the road last season and they were physically right in that game. At halftime it was 28-17. What happened was Nebraska's depth just wore them out and they ended up losing 49-20...they have some very good players and a new coach who is highly regarded. I think they are going to come back in a big way this year. The one thing that hurts them is their non conference schedule is BRUTAL this year with roadies at Corn, Hog and Potatoe.

Oh, I completely agree with you about Southern Miss. I just think we will one of the road games at La Tech or USM, even if its by the narrowest of margins. I see the USM game as more winnable than the home game against Ball State, though.

Just following UNT as long as I have... I'd have to see the secondary actually improve as a unit before I'd ever anticipate it.

Agree our LBs will be just as good as last year.

The defensive line will be just as thin with only marginal hope of a step forward.

Agree that we have more depth at QB... But outside of injury I don't see Mac starting/playing anyone but the Sr DT. BB would give me hope of at least the possibility of improvement...

We're going to miss Power a lot more than I think most people realize... But again with DT at QB no real reason to consider the TE posistion.

I'm not one who thinks the WR posistion was that bad last season. We're losing a really good possession receiver in Delgado and I don't really trust big school transfers anymore. Ill agree that the unit overall has the potential to be improved... But our QB will still have the knack for putting balls in the wrong spot.

The line will be solid but I don't know how you improve over allowing the least sacks in the nation.

Plenty of room for optimism at RB... But only if Mac will rethink Byrd getting the lionshare of the carries again(I don't think he will.)

Every FG from Olen will continue to be an adventure and we don't know anything about the new punter yet.

I'd probably be more optimistic if I thought we'd seen steady improvement throughout the season last year... but did we? In my eyes we shot our load against K-State and then just stuck it in neutral the rest of the way home.

Edited by Green P1

Idaho -- about a case of Miller Lite in the parking lot. Room at the Royale

Ohio -- Working on September 15th extensions. Probably miss the game entirely

Ball State -- Barely escape the office in time to make the game. Soft drinks only. Drive home.

Georgia -- Probably ignore the game entirely because money game beatdown

Tulane -- Unlikely road trip. Show myself some manboobs in the bathroom mirror and throw a few beads around the house

Middle Tennessee -- Another late office departure. Probably rain because MTSU

Louisiana Tech -- I could see a road trip to this game. Lose my shirt in a casino. Get arrested. Roll dice for bail.

Southern Miss - Watch RV shed tears of nostalgia on internet feed of questionable legality

Rice-- Pfft. Weeknight game. No Thanks. Hey, little boy, want some candy?

UTEP Miners -- Tacos, burritos of the chile verde variety and Tecate in honor of one of my favorite Texas Towns. Stagger to Motel 6. Please for the love of all things holy keep the tequila away from me

UTSA -- Cold weather calls for strong IPA of minimum 10% abv. Stagger out of porta potty with questionable wet spots on my pants

Tulsa -- Possible roadtrip to reminisce about the city where I got dumped. Drink the strong stuff because 3.2 beer is for chumps

Final record Drunken Shiteshows - 5 : Sober Libraryfests 7 : Warrants for my arrest - 3 : Burritos consumed - dozens : Fans estranged - 14

• Upvote 1