Mountain West yearning for Texas?

Harry

If the MWC approached UNT, we would/should be gone in a heartbeat.

"We've already gone West before and blah, blah, blah". This MWC is not the same as the Big West.

Simple facts:

The BCS busters consistently come out of the MWC

The MWC network payout is larger

The MWC is viewed by just about everyone as the best conference not in the "gang of 5".

The MWC is stable.

But, that invite has not come, and we are in C-USA. I'm very excited about that.

Agree a million percent.

What makes you think the MWC is that big of a step up?New Mexico,UNLV,Wyoming,San Jose State,etc.? The Big West did not work for us because of the reasons I posted. Time and Travel. The MWC may have Boise,but who from North Texas would go to a game their?50,100 fans or so?This Board,regardless of whether or not I agree with opinions posted,is a prime example of why people are no longer satisfied "with so little".We actually care what happens,and from a longtime fan thats a BIG change from my freshman year of 1961.

Your post pretty much makes my point. If you need to worry about travel costs and so forth, just accept your lot in life and drop down to FCS. If you are an FBS program, start acting like one. Do whatever it takes it improve your lot in the FBS hierarchy, which, make no mistake, an invite to the MWC would do.

30 fans caring on this site in 2013 from zero fans caring in 1961 isn't much progress in my book.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Your post pretty much makes my point. If you need to worry about travel costs and so forth, just accept your lot in life and drop down to FCS. If you are an FBS program, start acting like one. Do whatever it takes it improve your lot in the FBS hierarchy, which, make no mistake, an invite to the MWC would do.

30 fans caring on this site in 2013 from zero fans caring in 1961 isn't much progress in my book.

lets just agree to disagree

I think that this is all a moot point. We aren't going to ever be in the MWC. They don't want us, our fans don't want them, our administrations doesn't want them, and our university cannot afford it because we don't want to pay more for anything assocaited with football than we already have. We want to be in a regional conference because it costs less. There's not much else you can say about it. And, to their credit, CUSA West is a huge upgrade from anything we have ever known as a university within a conference in the last 40 years. Much like with Apogee, the job is done now that we are in CUSA, in the view of the university's leaders that actually know what a football looks like and don't hate the sport. We moved up from Fouts and out of the SBC--their job is done.

That's just how it goes here. We don't want to allocate more resources than we have to toward athletics. It was hard enough to convince them to issue a fee that is half of whwat UTSA and Texas State are charging just to go toward athletics so that Apogee could be built. There will be great joy in the administration building when the fee is retired and we don't have to pay for Apogee anymore, thus lowering tuition costs. That should get us moved up even higher in the "Greatest Education Value in America" list.

Its just different here.

• Upvote 1

We have met the enemy and he is us!

If we are to ever change conferences it will be based on what we bring to the table; not what we have been. We've made plenty of mistakes along the way athletically which were largely due to our administration. We became myopic regarding improving academics. Improving academics was (and should have been) our #1 priority but not to the neglect of facilities, endowment and athletics. In time, we found ways to include these areas and still give strong support to improving academics.

There seems to be a consensus of agreement that the Mountain West Conference has the best athletics (at least football and basketball) outside of the Power 5 conferences. I believe that we want to align ourselves with the best so why wouldn't we consider at least trying to gain membership?

What do we have to offer? Potentially, a large share of the #4 market in the U S of A. Greater access to the #1 recruiting state in the country. Spanking new facilities that Vanderbilt and Tulane have sent delegations to view and emulate. Commitment from an administration that has finally seen the light. The largest student body of any members of the MWC. So, it's not like we dropped the ball thirty years ago and don't even deserve where we are. How long did it take former CUSA members to jump to the AAC?

Regardless of whether we eventually stay or leave, we do the absolute best that we can to advance the conference that we're in. Who knows? By the time we get the opportunity to leave CUSA may have become stronger than the MWC or the AAC. Grow where you are planted but a transplant to more fertile soil can reap benefits.

• Upvote 4

We have met the enemy and he is us!

If we are to ever change conferences it will be based on what we bring to the table; not what we have been. We've made plenty of mistakes along the way athletically which were largely due to our administration. We became myopic regarding improving academics. Improving academics was (and should have been) our #1 priority but not to the neglect of facilities, endowment and athletics. In time, we found ways to include these areas and still give strong support to improving academics.

There seems to be a consensus of agreement that the Mountain West Conference has the best athletics (at least football and basketball) outside of the Power 5 conferences. I believe that we want to align ourselves with the best so why wouldn't we consider at least trying to gain membership?

What do we have to offer? Potentially, a large share of the #4 market in the U S of A. Greater access to the #1 recruiting state in the country. Spanking new facilities that Vanderbilt and Tulane have sent delegations to view and emulate. Commitment from an administration that has finally seen the light. The largest student body of any members of the MWC. So, it's not like we dropped the ball thirty years ago and don't even deserve where we are. How long did it take former CUSA members to jump to the AAC?

Regardless of whether we eventually stay or leave, we do the absolute best that we can to advance the conference that we're in. Who knows? By the time we get the opportunity to leave CUSA may have become stronger than the MWC or the AAC. Grow where you are planted but a transplant to more fertile soil can reap benefits.

I find it interesting that some of us are discussing leaving CUSA before we even play a game. In my opinion,we are where we need to be,in a regional division,with schools that give us the opportunity to attend road games and develope rivalries. Granted the MWC is stronger than CUSA.However,we left the Sunbelt as its doormat,and are positioned to be the same in CUSA . North Texas as a member of MWC makes about as much sense as West Virginia joining the Big 12,and we aren't West Virginia. In fact,we aren't even Marshall.Goals have to be reasonable and obtainable with a little pie in the sky.

Edited by wardly

I find it interesting that we are speculating that the MWC wants a team in Texas based on the musings of a message board.

And that it went for 3 pages! No reason what so ever to think the MWC wants a Texas team in the immediate future.

Why don't we work on building a consistent winner and build fan support for where we are. That is what TCU did at every stage, build where they were and THEN work on moving up.