UNT and local universities in line for big improvements

Harry

A half-dozen public universities in North Texas, straining under record enrollment growth, would receive more than $350 million for brick-and-mortar expansion projects under a state bond package that won preliminary approval in the Texas House Monday night.

The $2.7 billion package of tuition revenue bonds would be the first since 2006 and would finance a vast backlog of construction projects at nearly 60 institutions, including the University of North Texas Health Science Center in Fort Worth and the University of Texas at Arlington.

All of us who have grown and pretty much everyone in the Dallas-Fort Worth area is growing are really, really counting on this relief, said UNT Chancellor Lee Jackson.

Final passage by the House on Tuesday would send SB16 back to the Senate for expected concurrence for two minor amendments. It would then go to Gov. Rick Perry as lawmakers head into the home stretch of the 2013 Legislature before next Mondays adjournment.

Tuition revenue bonds targeted for North Texas include:

$66.6 million for an interdisciplinary research building at the UNT Health Science Center.

$64.3 million for renovating and expanding a life science building at UTA.

$73.6 million for a college of visual arts and design facility at the main UNT campus at Denton.

$56 million for a library and student success center at UNT-Dallas.

$56 million to the UNT system for college of law building renovation.

$37.9 million for a new science and technology center at Texas Womans University at Denton.

The 20-year bonds, which would cost the state approximately $450 million over the next two years, would finance the lions share of new project construction costs for universities that Rep. Rene Oliveira, D-Brownsville, said have been busting at the seams under the weight of burgeoning student populations.

The growth has been especially pronounced in the Dallas Fort Worth metropolitan area, the fourth most populous region in the country.

UNT at Denton serves 36,000 students and is looking toward future growth that would swell the institution to 45,000. UTA had 33,806 students in February, a 35 percent increase since 2008. TWU has grown by more than 80 percent from the fall of 2000 to a record enrollment of 15,135 students by the fall of 2012.

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/2013/05/20/4871416/local-universities-in-line-for.html#storylink=cpy

I can't believe we are spending 70 some odd million of MY TAX DOLLARS on some artsy-fartsy building when that money could be MUCH better put to use in buying out Benford's contract, expanding Apogee, or fixing the lighting in the Superpit!!!!

I am outraged!!!

<sarcasm>

• Upvote 7

Somehow I feel our UNT-Denton main campus endowment coffers (of which we need about 4 x's as much as we presently have to become Tier 1) would be so much larger if we were not so spread out in DFW. Might the other system schools in Texas just traditionally have more financial resources to draw from as they have most of the last 50-75 years?

UNT-Denton was struggling financially even as a single university not that far removed from our teacher's college era before the idea of becoming the flagship campus for a DFW Metroplex system even came up.

UNT being a system of schools in Dallas, Fort Worth and Denton is fine but to what sacrifice has all this been for UNT-Denton and its quest for Tier 1?

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

I can't believe we are spending 70 some odd million of MY TAX DOLLARS on some artsy-fartsy building when that money could be MUCH better put to use in buying out Benford's contract, expanding Apogee, or fixing the lighting in the Superpit!!!!

I am outraged!!!

<sarcasm>

Come on man. How many people could use the Super Pit at one time? 10,000 maybe? And let's not even get started on Apogee. I mean AT MOST 31,000 at a time.

An art exhibition though...now that might draw (no pun intended) SEVERAL dozen.

• Upvote 2

Letters to the editor must be written! Opposition organizations must be formed! Maybe that new guy on here who was so opposed to the student fee could lead it.

If only it were going to be close to a neighborhood whose association was led by a Pro-athletics muscle head, we would be COMPLETELY in business!!

I am outraged!!!

<sarcasm>

Somehow I feel our UNT-Denton main campus endowment coffers (of which we need about 4 x's as much as we presently have to become Tier 1) would be so much larger if we were not so spread out in DFW. Might the other system schools in Texas just traditionally have more financial resources to draw from as they have most of the last 50-75 years?

UNT-Denton was struggling financially even as a single university not that far removed from our teacher's college era before the idea of becoming the flagship campus for a DFW Metroplex system even came up.

UNT being a system of schools in Dallas, Fort Worth and Denton is fine but to what sacrifice has all this been for UNT-Denton and its quest for Tier 1?

GMG!

it will take much more than just getting an endowment of 400 million dollars for the Denton campus to reach the metrics for NRUF funding (and yes DJ Plum Plum I know what the metrics are I am stating that it will take much more than just a 400 million dollar endowment) like 45 million in restricted research VS 16.5 in 2012 and meeting more than two of the 6 metrics which is all north Texas met in 2013.....freshman class and member of PKP

north Texas in Denton lost out on any potential law school for sure which is probably really a good thing since the law school will most likely not be very successful and there is little if any chance that it will produce the type of graduate that will have the resources to make a large donation (or pay off their student loans and live a decent life) anytime before the vast majority if not all of the members of this forum are pushing up daises

and there is a possibility it has cost the Denton branch campus the opportunity to have a pharmacy program as well since that is probably going to be split between dallas and Fort Worth.....there is a chance it would have gone to Fort Worth alone without dallas, but with dallas in the picture the Denton branch campus never had a chance

as for private dollars Fort Worth is horrible at raising private dollars and Fort Worth existed on their own before being forced against their will into the north Texas system to begin with so they were always there competiting for private dollars and as for dallas so far only a million or two has gone to dallas that would have gone to Denton.....there was a Denton branch campus accounting grad that made a donation to the dallas campus a few years back.....that probably would have gone to the Denton branch campus if dallas did not exist but that is about it

also these are interesting comments in light of how the bill that has passed both legislative branches and is now waiting on the signature of the governor reads

this is how the bill USED to read

http://www.legis.state.tx.us/tlodocs/83R/billtext/pdf/SB00016H.pdf#navpanes=0

56 million flushed down the toilet for the law school

73.6 million for the "artsy fartsy stuff" as it was called

56 million for part timers in dallas to have "success" and check out books (that is money flushed down the toilet that could have possibly gone to Denton for sure and really so is the law school cash)

and then 66.6 million to Fort Worth

here is how the bill that has passed and is awaiting the governors signature now reads

http://www.legis.state.tx.us/tlodocs/83R/billtext/pdf/SB00016E.pdf#navpanes=0

25 million flushed on the law school

48 million for science stuffs in Denton (hey UNT90 you really do have some pull haha)

70 million now flushed away in dallas for a "success" center for part timers and checking out some books

and 66.6 million in Fort Worth

so the Denton branch campus does get some "tier 1" (NRUF) benefits in the form of science stuff over the artsy fartsy that UNT90 got killed, but the total dollar amount spent on the Denton branch campus took a 25.6 million dollar hit while the dallas campus picked up 14 million and the law school was put back in line as a part timers school in some upper floors of the UCD for the time being instead of trying to piss away 56 million on the old dallas muny building

it would be my opinion that the artsy fartsy stuff was too expensive for what the system was in line to get as a whole so it was cut for the less expensive option to free up that BADLY needed cash for the thriving dallas campus.....that or UNT90 just has that much pull

really in terms of "tier 1" (NRUF) the research building is a better deal, but it was clear that artsy fartsy was a priority over that until artsy fartsy became too expensive to cover both that project and the needs of the highly successful and rapidly growing (-9 student growth rate over 4 years!) dallas campus or UNT90 pulled the plug on artsy fartsy, but could not find a way to get the remaining 25.6 spent on baseball, firing the BB coach, and lighting a fire under DMac

Edited by GL2Greatness
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

A university also must meet four of six other criteria:

• An endowment greater than $400 million; Texas Tech’s endowment is projected to exceed $400 million in 2010
  • Doctoral degrees awarded must top 200 in each of the previous two years; Texas Tech awarded just fewer than 200 in each of the past two years
  • Membership in the Association of Research Libraries or housing a chapter of Phi Beta Kappa; Texas Tech meets both requirements
  • High achievement of the freshman class for two years, to be determined by THECB
  • High-quality faculty for two years, to be determined by THECB
  • High-quality graduate programs, to be determined by the THECB

http://today.ttu.edu/2010/02/texas-tech-makes-progress-on-tier-one-status/

PS: Last I heard from one on this forum who I have utmost respect (and have for years) UNT met all the other necessary criteria except the $400 million minimum. That will be a worthy challenge for our fundraisers but................it can and will be done!

And for our school's greatest fan, ie, GL2Greatness (+1....always)...........please tell us to the person here on GMG.com that when UNT officially does reach Tier 1 research university status that you will not go out and commit horrific acts against mankind because of it, OK?

Seriously, some Texas-based universities with very weak or almost non-existant doctoral programs also trying for Tier 1 may have to find other goals to reach. UNT does not have that problem with its all encompassing doctoral programs.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2

GL2Greatness, stop being Debbie Downer! The glass isn't half empty. The world of doom and gloom doesn't apply when an influx of funding to the university occurs. It is a good thing and not something to complain about. Plumm is spot on. The future looks bright and on course.

• Upvote 2

I was on campus today and the thing that struck me was not only all the new buildings & renovations in the last 5 years, but all new private sector developments near campus. Everything from the rebuild Fry Street area to the new 5-story mixed use apartments on Eagle.

Its nice to see the private sector matching the University's contribution towards building a better Denton.

The conference center hotel will be be step in the right direction.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I was on campus today and the thing that struck me was not only all the new buildings & renovations in the last 5 years, but all new private sector developments near campus. Everything from the rebuild Fry Street area to the new 5-story mixed use apartments on Eagle.

Its nice to see the private sector matching the University's contribution towards building a better Denton.

The conference center hotel will be be step in the right direction.

I didn't mind Sterling but 33N is an ugly eyesore embarrassment.

• Upvote 1

Come on man. How many people could use the Super Pit at one time? 10,000 maybe? And let's not even get started on Apogee. I mean AT MOST 31,000 at a time.

An art exhibition though...now that might draw (no pun intended) SEVERAL dozen.

If I could giuve you a +infinity, I would. You win the interent with this post!!

We like arts and music and education at North Texas (State)--always have, always will. When you like those ventures over athletics, you get what you pay for. The majority of fans of the arts and music programs at the university don't care much at all for UNT Sports. Probably works the other way, too. I like that we have a great reputation for our music school, but it doesn't make me want to go watch a performance of those students with dozens of others. I like sports--like most guys. I like football and basketball--like most guys. I watch sports, both on TV and in person. I don't watch jazz recitals on TV or attend art exhibits--its just not me. BUt the university I attended and graduated from puts way more love and attention on those endeavors than they ever want to do on athletics. And so does the town that the university sits in.

We like events that are pointed to gathering dozens, rather than thousands. And we attract donors in the same vein, in dozens rather than in thousands. And for a school with 36k students and the hundreds of thousands of alums in the area, it seems rather obvious that you could/would/should have so much more if you put an emphasis on an area that is known to attract those thousands, of which there are a high percentage of men, who traditionally like sports, pay to watch it, and become fans for life. Maybe its that way with these other areas, too, but I doubt you get many teachers, band directors, or artists that give much back to the university financially, as compared to the Texas schools that do put a high priority on athletics. All I know is that it usually from this subset of fans that we hear that UNT should stop funding barbaric football and that those students who like such a barbaric sport should just go to UT, A&M or Tech. Funny thing about that--they still go to UNT and give their money and fandom to the other schools because they know that UNT doesn't want their full attention as a fan. And the commuter school connection continues, even if the commuter school tag is finally dying off more and more as the years go by.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

If I could giuve you a +infinity, I would. You win the interent with this post!!

We like arts and music and education at North Texas (State)--always have, always will. When you like those ventures over athletics, you get what you pay for. The majority of fans of the arts and music programs at the university don't care much at all for UNT Sports. Probably works the other way, too. I like that we have a great reputation for our music school, but it doesn't make me want to go watch a performance of those students with dozens of others. I like sports--like most guys. I like football and basketball--like most guys. I watch sports, both on TV and in person. I don't watch jazz recitals on TV or attend art exhibits--its just not me. BUt the university I attended and graduated from puts way more love and attention on those endeavors than they ever want to do on athletics. And so does the town that the university sits in.

We like events that are pointed to gathering dozens, rather than thousands. And we attract donors in the same vein, in dozens rather than in thousands. And for a school with 36k students and the hundreds of thousands of alums in the area, it seems rather obvious that you could/would/should have so much more if you put an emphasis on an area that is known to attract those thousands, of which there are a high percentage of men, who traditionally like sports, pay to watch it, and become fans for life. Maybe its that way with these other areas, too, but I doubt you get many teachers, band directors, or artists that give much back to the university financially, as compared to the Texas schools that do put a high priority on athletics. All I know is that it usually from this subset of fans that we hear that UNT should stop funding barbaric football and that those students who like such a barbaric sport should just go to UT, A&M or Tech. Funny thing about that--they still go to UNT and give their money and fandom to the other schools because they know that UNT doesn't want their full attention as a fan. And the commuter school connection continues, even if the commuter school tag is finally dying off more and more as the years go by.

I think the commuter school tag is gone. We still have UT and A&M fans (not a lot of Tech or TCU) as as students because they grew up with the idea of UNT as a commuter school. But these kids came here as their first choice from all over Texas and the US and are excited about UNT. Problem is, there has been nothing to show them that UNT isn't a joke at athletics and pride besides a cool stadium. Attendance has been impressive honestly, we were #2 in the SBC in basketball attendance and in the upper-middle in football and student attendance has been great. But we need to win to keep these kids who saw UNT as terrible athletically and pride wise from relaying that sentiment to their kids. Point to Apogee if you like, but it's no coincidence we outdraw and students WAY outdraw the crowds from the early 2000s.

The mentality HAS changed. The performance hasn't.

Edited by meangreener
  • Upvote 2

I think the commuter school tag is gone. We still have UT and A&M fans (not a lot of Tech or TCU) as as students because they grew up with the idea of UNT as a commuter school. But these kids came here as their first choice from all over Texas and the US and are excited about UNT. Problem is, there has been nothing to show them that UNT isn't a joke at athletics and pride besides a cool stadium. Attendance has been impressive honestly, we were #2 in the SBC in basketball attendance and in the upper-middle in football and student attendance has been great. But we need to win to keep these kids who saw UNT as terrible athletically and pride wise from relaying that sentiment to their kids. Point to Apogee if you like, but it's no coincidence we outdraw and students WAY outdraw the crowds from the early 2000s.

The mentality HAS changed. The performance hasn't.

Well stated. The program needs wins.