Notes and thoughts from the final stop of the Mean Green caravan

Harry

The final stop in the Mean Green Caravan (the annual pep talk for UNT fans) was tonight over in Fort Worth.

I swung by after arriving back in town.

UNT fans really seem like they could stand to have a morale-boosting evening. And the UNT athletic department puts on a pretty good show.

It was a tough year in the land of the Mean and the Green with UNT going 0-fer in the big three sports when it comes to posting a winning record football, mens basketball and womens basketball. There were a lot of good things that happened, but its been a long time since UNT went without a winning season in a revenue sport.

The theme for the night was why there is hope that type of year will soon be only a memory.

The highlights:

I asked Rick Villarreal about the 2015 football schedule and the possibility that UNT will have just five home games. Villarreal said the schedule is far from done and the plan is to have six home games every year.

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2013/05/notes-and-thoughts-from-the-final-stop-of-the-mean-green-caravan.html/

" Once UNT is winning consistently, then the difficulty of the schedule can increase. Translation — Don’t be surprised if UNT doesn’t go back to scheduling the way Johnny Jones did before he really got it rolling."

My my my. Looks like the main cross that most wanted to nail JJ to is now being picked up and carried by someone else. Strange the perspective that 12-20 grants you.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

RV seemed to pretty much guarantee 6 home games in 2015. .

Not buying it. Again, unless we buy at least two more home games (at the bare minimum), there simply isn't any flexibility in the schedule to allow anything less than at least one 5 home game season. Plus, we would also have to buy out of a scheduled money game.

And RV didn't promise anything. Re-read the quote.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 11

Not buying it. Again, unless we buy at least two more home games (at the bare minimum), there simply isn't any flexibility in the schedule to allow anything less than at least one 5 home game season. Plus, we would also have to buy out of a scheduled money game.

And RV didn't promise anything. Re-read the quote.

Not really. Conference realignment may help us. And I was there. I think I heard what he said quite well, when I asked him and his exact response was "That schedule is not finished. Our goal is 6 home games and we haven't finished that schedule yet. Hang on."

Edited by meangreener
  • Upvote 4

Not to mention RV and Mac expressed the importance of 6 home games to the entire group, in addition to my question, and how that would be the standard for the future. I think we'll be just fine. It is clearly a concern for them that 5 home games are as of now and that they are working to remedy the situation. Between my question, Vito's question and his pounding over it, I feel like RV is going to come through with 6. Mac and him were very adamant about it. Also opening at home. Let's hope we continue to get that each year.

• Upvote 1

I think the biggest news that is flying under the radar is the fact that we'll have Zed Evans for 2 years. Special teams anchor and at least a rotation guy in the secondary (if not a starter). This is great news!

Amen!

" Once UNT is winning consistently, then the difficulty of the schedule can increase. Translation — Don’t be surprised if UNT doesn’t go back to scheduling the way Johnny Jones did before he really got it rolling."

My my my. Looks like the main cross that most wanted to nail JJ to is now being picked up and carried by someone else. Strange the perspective that 12-20 grants you.

If I remember correctly from last night, RV said "We'll play Dilbert Elementary if it can get us to 27 wins."

• Upvote 2

Not really. Conference realignment may help us. And I was there. I think I heard what he said quite well, when I asked him and his exact response was "That schedule is not finished. Our goal is 6 home games and we haven't finished that schedule yet. Hang on."

So, are we going to buy out the SMU game? Obviously not. Are we going to buy out the just announced Tennessee game? No.

That leaves Iowa. Nothing would make me happier than the cancelation of this one-sided series, but I'm not holding my breath.

Zed Evan's medical red shirt is great news. He probably got that granted while still a member of the Louisville Cardinals and never breathed a word about his upcoming transfer ;-)

Zed will provide a much needed gunner on special teams and secondary depth even if he doesn't end up a starter. A smart kid with great speed is always a good addition

• Upvote 1

So, are we going to buy out the SMU game? Obviously not. Are we going to buy out the just announced Tennessee game? No.

That leaves Iowa. Nothing would make me happier than the cancelation of this one-sided series, but I'm not holding my breath.

Zed Evan's medical red shirt is great news. He probably got that granted while still a member of the Louisville Cardinals and never breathed a word about his upcoming transfer ;-)

Zed will provide a much needed gunner on special teams and secondary depth even if he doesn't end up a starter. A smart kid with great speed is always a good addition

I don't think there is a single chance we buy out of Iowa. I think the series was likely Mac's doing. I think due to conference reshuffling, we may end up with 5 conference home games when you look at the teams leaving/coming and when we play them.

Edited by meangreener

I don't think there is a single chance we buy out of Iowa. I think the series was likely Mac's doing. I think due to conference reshuffling, we may end up with 5 conference home games when you look at the teams leaving/coming and when we play them.

I wouldn't put a lot of hope into having 5 home and 3 road games in conference. CUSA isn't going to do that. And if you are talking about an extra conference game due to additions of ODU and UNCC for a 5 home game, 4 away game conference slate, that would mean one less OCC game, which still leaves 5 home games.

Something has to give. The numbers just don't add up.

Then again, maybe RV is being wildly optimistic and is supposing that we have the best record in CUSA in 2015, thus allowing us to host the conference championship game. Then we would get to the magical, mystical 6th home game.

• Downvote 1

Yet another confirmation from a live human that Berglund probably isn't going to Manziel us this season. KA-POW!

It's tough to oust a solid, experienced, tough, loyal quarterback like Derek Thompson. It takes a lot of hard work. Perhaps Berglund can vault McNulty for the #2 spot.

Which is ridiculous. But, whatever.

Not the hard work part. The part that we're going to have to deal with DT for another year. Overthrows, everything. Should be fun!

Edited by meangreener
  • Upvote 1

The final stop in the Mean Green Caravan (the annual pep talk for UNT fans) was tonight over in Fort Worth.

I swung by after arriving back in town.

UNT fans really seem like they could stand to have a morale-boosting evening. And the UNT athletic department puts on a pretty good show.

It was a tough year in the land of the Mean and the Green with UNT going 0-fer in the big three sports when it comes to posting a winning record football, mens basketball and womens basketball. There were a lot of good things that happened, but its been a long time since UNT went without a winning season in a revenue sport.

The theme for the night was why there is hope that type of year will soon be only a memory.

The highlights:

I asked Rick Villarreal about the 2015 football schedule and the possibility that UNT will have just five home games. Villarreal said the schedule is far from done and the plan is to have six home games every year.

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2013/05/notes-and-thoughts-from-the-final-stop-of-the-mean-green-caravan.html/

Don't tell UNT90...might burst his bubble. Oh, darn you went and told him!

Edited by KRAM1
  • Downvote 3

I think that UNT90 is right about the 2015 schedule, at least right now. Much can change, but CUSA isn't going to give one school 5 home games with just 3 away games. Since we are at SMU, Tennessee, and Iowa, that doesn't add up. Actually, though, it doesn't bother me to have 5 home games if the one OOC game at Apogee is someone big. A home game against a MAC school, an SBC school, or even worse, an FCS team is just sad to me. This past year was the worst home schedule I can ever imagine a school at this level scheduling. UNT90 just wants us to try to get someone here for a change. He's right about the Iowa series and he's right about the fact that we place too much accolades on getting home series with SMU and Army. They are great OOC opponents, but they need to have another great OOC opponent at home to go with them.Otherwise, you still aren't selling much to the fans, at least in my opinion. A 2015 home schedule of SFA, Rice, UTEP, MUTS, and FAU isn't going to move the needle one bit here for season tickets, as this past year just showed.

• Upvote 1

I think that UNT90 is right about the 2015 schedule, at least right now. Much can change, but CUSA isn't going to give one school 5 home games with just 3 away games. Since we are at SMU, Tennessee, and Iowa, that doesn't add up. Actually, though, it doesn't bother me to have 5 home games if the one OOC game at Apogee is someone big. A home game against a MAC school, an SBC school, or even worse, an FCS team is just sad to me. This past year was the worst home schedule I can ever imagine a school at this level scheduling. UNT90 just wants us to try to get someone here for a change. He's right about the Iowa series and he's right about the fact that we place too much accolades on getting home series with SMU and Army. They are great OOC opponents, but they need to have another great OOC opponent at home to go with them.Otherwise, you still aren't selling much to the fans, at least in my opinion. A 2015 home schedule of SFA, Rice, UTEP, MUTS, and FAU isn't going to move the needle one bit here for season tickets, as this past year just showed.

And we would still need to buy that home game with SFA. We could do a 1 and 1 with someone, but it would require the other party to wait to at least 2018 for a return game.

That in itself is not unheard of,, but then we would be inflexible in 2018.

We are basically in a position of having to buy at least 3 home games to be able to start scheduling 1 and 1s again without affecting scheduling flexibility (need to buy one in 2014, 2015, and 2016). The only other options would be to buy out of 3 of the following games (2014- UT or Indiana; 2015- SMU, Iowa, or Tennessee; 2016- Florida, Army).

Anyone really think we are going to buy out of those?

We probably have another 5 home game season coming after 2015, so be prepared.

• Upvote 1

And we would still need to buy that home game with SFA. We could do a 1 and 1 with someone, but it would require the other party to wait to at least 2018 for a return game.

That in itself is not unheard of,, but then we would be inflexible in 2018.

We are basically in a position of having to buy at least 3 home games to be able to start scheduling 1 and 1s again without affecting scheduling flexibility (need to buy one in 2014, 2015, and 2016). The only other options would be to buy out of 3 of the following games (2014- UT or Indiana; 2015- SMU, Iowa, or Tennessee; 2016- Florida, Army).

Anyone really think we are going to buy out of those?

We probably have another 5 home game season coming after 2015, so be prepared.

And, just think...you now have stuff to worry about all the way to 2015....and beyond. You know, because worrying and complaining about what MIGHT happen is so much more fun and productive than enjoying what actually IS happening. Oh, well...I'll let you have the forum...it's no use trying to get you to even consider anything positive right now. God knows I have tried in person, in PM's and on the board. I give up...I'll just look forward to welcoming the real UNT90 back...if I can live that long... :-)

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

And, just think...you now have stuff to worry about all the way to 2015....and beyond. You know, because worrying and complaining about what MIGHT happen is so much more fun and productive than enjoying what actually IS happening. Oh, well...I'll let you have the forum...it's no use trying to get you to even consider anything positive right now. God knows I have tried in person, in PM's and on the board. I give up...I'll just look forward to welcoming the real UNT90 back...if I can live that long... :-)

Not what MIGHT happen, but what DID happen just last season, after we were told several years earlier that 5 game home seasons were a thing of the past.

Looks like history is repeating itself.

Id love to be all sunshine and puppy dogs all the time if only things in this program were sunshine and puppy dogs all the time. They aren't.

Please feel free to tell me any possible way at all that we don't have a 5 game home season (probably 2) upcoming with the current games on the schedule. Please provide me any sign of legitimate hope instead of just criticizing my attitude.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

Not what MIGHT happen, but what DID happen just last season, after we were told several years earlier that 5 game home seasons were a thing of the past.

Looks like history is repeating itself.

Id love to be all sunshine and puppy dogs all the time if only things in this program were sunshine and puppy dogs all the time. They aren't.

Please feel free to tell me any possible way at all that we don't have a 5 game home season (probably 2) upcoming with the current games on the schedule. Please provide me any sign of legitimate hope instead of just criticizing my attitude.

Yo're just like Vito. All your information is three weeks old or just untrue.*

*Only if it doesn't fit the narrative currently being spun by the supporters of the status quo though.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1