I'll catch flack, BUT...

BIG DAWG

I think Brock played about as well as he could have given the players he was playing with. There was one or two throws that if he would've connected with his receivers they would've been big plays.

I honestly believe that Thompson and McNutly wouldn't have done any better than Brock with the 3rd team.

Someone posted Thompsons stat's in another thread and then simply stated they looked like a typical game from Thompson, and they did! 100-some odd yards, a touchdown, and an interception. That's exactly what we've gotten from him the past few years. It hasn't cut it in the past few years in the SUNBELT it certainly won't cut it in CUSA.

• Upvote 2

The offense is set up well with a good line that was our strength last year mostly intact, good looking receiving core with a stud freshman coming in in the fall (Kidsy), and another loaded stable of backs.

If DT is the qb and doesn't succeed this year I won't be able to stand for anymore excuses. That being said, same with Berglund if he is our qb.

• Upvote 2

The offense is set up well with a good line that was our strength last year mostly intact, good looking receiving core with a stud freshman coming in in the fall (Kidsy), and another loaded stable of backs.

If DT is the qb and doesn't succeed this year I won't be able to stand for anymore excuses. That being said, same with Berglund if he is our qb.

I completely agree...if Brock doesn't cut it, he should be held accountable, but I'm ready to guarantee Thompson will not get the job done.

See my initial post before referencing his heart, toughness, etc

• Upvote 1

Let stomp on good old Thompson some more, he is definitely what has killed the program the last couple of years.

Forget about dozens of other players that can't play, a lot of questionable coaching decisions, and a coach that bemoans the talent he inherited but has a hard time replacing them.

The QB gets way too much blame and glory. Thompson has won the QB battle the last two years, I assume because there is no one better. The same thing will happen this year, the best player in practice and games will get the job.

NT will win more games if they are improved, the QB needs to play much better but that postion is one of many that needs to be upgraded.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Let stomp on good old Thompson some more, he is definitely what has killed the program the last couple of years.

Forget about dozens of other players that can't play, a lot of questionable coaching decisions, and a coach that bemoans the talent he inherited but has a hard time replacing them.

The QB gets way too much blame and glory. Thompson has won the QB battle the last two years, I assume because there is no one better. The same thing will happen this year, the best player in practice and games will get the job.

NT will win more games if they are improved, the QB needs to play much better but that postion is one of many that needs to be upgraded.

I agree w/ you completely about the QB situation, and your point that its not all DT's fault.

My point is simply that if DT is the best we have, it won't be good enough to win more than 4 games

• Upvote 6

All I'm going to say is that we've got the offensive weapons to score a lot of points next season, but we won't do it if the QB position doesn't have the skills to make the right reads and regularly hit our receivers in stride. Sounds fairly straightforward, but I didn't see a whole lot of that yesterday. Sure hope that yesterday's offensive performance was at least partially because our D will be much more improved than many of us had anticipated.

• Upvote 1

We aren't talking about the team as a whole, we are talking about the unit that DT leads out on the field; the offense. They were 105th in the nation in scoring last year at 20.9 points a game. That will not cut it this year.

• Upvote 1

We will not win 4 games with Thompson as our QB next season, I don't care what kind of spring he had. ESPECIALLY if we are changing to more of a zone read offense.

I was hoping that Brock would come out and dominate...he didn't...and if that leaves Thompson as our best option, we are honestly in trouble.

It isn't that he is a bad guy, not tough, doesn't bleed green...he just isn't accurate and doesn't possess the arm to be an effective QB.

I know some will mention the WRs last season...but in response to that I will mention the HUGE amount of errant throws that were thrown every game that had nothing to do w/ WRs.

He is not a runner, not an accurate passer, doesnt have a quick release, and I wouldn't say he has a big arm.

My only hope this season is that Brock can win it in fall practice before Idaho comes to town.

I am going to, for the first time since I've been watching the Mean Green, come into the season with negative expectations this season if DT is our QB because our offense will continue not to score.

FIFTEEN years I've been a homer calling for bowl games, and if DT is our QB it will be the first I will be predicting less than 4 wins...AND the first time EVER I will not be eagerly anticipating the start of the season.

If I'm wrong, I will gladly eat crow...I just don't see that happening w/ DT as our QB...sorry to seem negative...just trying to vent honestly.

You know, you may be right, but I think the right thing to do with DT is start him. Especially if he and Brock are even at this point. DT loves playing for his school. I love the fact that he loves his school and there may not be a player on this team that wants to win as bad as he does. He is leader for this team. In my opinion, we shouldn't fool ourselves into thinking we would do much better with Brock. Brock has more talent, but he is a freshman for all intense purposes, so he will struggle most likely his first year. If we are going to finish with 4-6 wins, I would rather do it with DT since he is a Senior.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 6

You know, you may be right, but I think the right thing to do with DT is start him. Especially if he and Brock are even at this point. DT loves playing for his school. I love the fact that he loves his school and there may not be a player on this team that wants to win as bad as he does. He is leader for this team. In my opinion, we shouldn't fool ourselves into thinking we would do much better with Brock. Brock has more talent, but he is a freshman for all intense purposes, so he will struggle most likely his first year. If we are going to finish with 4-6 wins, I would rather do it with DT since he is a Senior.

No one should ever slam Derek Thompson for his lack of effort or his love for his school but his results on the field are predictable. At this juncture, we can't afford another four or five win season.

If Berglund sits he loses a year of eligibility. In 2014, he'd still be lacking in experience. Our fans would be calling for Canales' head for not trying to improve our offense. From what I've seen and read, Berglund has more speed, a quicker release and is more deceptive than DT. If all are true, that is improvement and that's what we're striving for.

At the same time, it would be unfair to hand the starting job to Brock simply because he has more press clippings. He has to earn that and I think that he will.

• Upvote 2

Gotta disagree with a few of your points there. First I will reiterate what has been said, by all accounts I think DT is a stand up guy, hard worker, leader, great heart etc. Its not personal, but we did lose some games based on just QB play last year. 2nd, our coach did inherit and group that has some huge gaps, and 3rd, the talent and depth has improved since he took over. How our coaches got the results they did out of our defense last season is nothing short of retarded good. Our prior coaching staff maybe would have won 2 games in the past 2 years with the exact same players - so I say our coaches seem to know what they are doing.

Is it all on DT's play alone, no. Is that a position that can win or lose a game for you all by themselves, yes. Did we lose some games at QB last year - yes. Did we win some games last year at QB - no.

I think the issue of this thread isn't really should DT be QB or not. The issue is that if DT is QB again, even if he earns it in practice, that isn't raising alot of hope in the fan base. As far as whats the right thing for the on the field team, I don't know the answer in DT vs Brock, but I trust the coaching staff will do the best thing for the team, not for marketing.

• Upvote 2

Gotta disagree with a few of your points there. First I will reiterate what has been said, by all accounts I think DT is a stand up guy, hard worker, leader, great heart etc. Its not personal, but we did lose some games based on just QB play last year. 2nd, our coach did inherit and group that has some huge gaps, and 3rd, the talent and depth has improved since he took over. How our coaches got the results they did out of our defense last season is nothing short of retarded good. Our prior coaching staff maybe would have won 2 games in the past 2 years with the exact same players - so I say our coaches seem to know what they are doing.

Is it all on DT's play alone, no. Is that a position that can win or lose a game for you all by themselves, yes. Did we lose some games at QB last year - yes. Did we win some games last year at QB - no.

I think the issue of this thread isn't really should DT be QB or not. The issue is that if DT is QB again, even if he earns it in practice, that isn't raising alot of hope in the fan base. As far as whats the right thing for the on the field team, I don't know the answer in DT vs Brock, but I trust the coaching staff will do the best thing for the team, not for marketing.

YES!

Derek Thompson is without a doubt The Man, T-Man. Until the injured, carpetbagging, fist-fighting kid from Colorado who knows more about when and how a quarterback should practice than Charlie Weis can knock him off, you who ignore the problems at receiver and defensive line will just have to deal with it.

Derek Thompson, you da man!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1