UNT President V. Lane Rawlins is Retiring

James329

Bummer! Dr. Rawlins will be missed. He did some really good things with and for UNT during his time with the Mean green. He is staying until Dec. 31, 2013, so we will have him to lead the way for the Mean Green for awhile longer. I assume the announcement came now so there can be plenty of time to find UNT's next President. I really appreciate Dr. Rawlins and all he has meant to UNT and the Mean green during his "too short" stay with us!

Thanks, Dr. Rawlins...help us find our next Dr. Rawlins!

• Upvote 1

In his letter to faculty, staff and student today, Rawlins said, “Our
strategic plan and ‘four bold goals,’ set a course for greatness that
is ambitious, but within our reach. It seems to be a good time to
attract a strong new president.”

Under his leadership, UNT completed Apogee Stadium and the Business

Leadership Building. He led the university in building the pedestrian bridge

that links the main campus to Apogee Stadium. Three 100-kilowatt wind turbines,

which were paid for by a $2 million grant from the State Energy Conservation
Office, were also added to the university under Rawlins’ leadership.

Rawlins also started discussions on building a new University Union. The
project, with a maximum budget of $128.4 million, was approved by the
Higher Education Coordinating Board in January. Students voted in April
2012 to approve a union fee increase of up to $115 a semester.

Rawlins fought to increase the quality of students attending UNT.

In fall 2011, UNT boasted its largest freshmen class of more than 4,000
students, even after turning away about 35 percent of freshmen students
who applied.

At a 2011 regents meeting, Rawlins told regents the quality of students was better

and university should grow at a manageable rate.

In fall 2012, UNT had a 9.2 percent increase of freshmen over 2011, making it the university’s

largest freshmen class in history with 4,444 students. It also saw a slight increase in overall
enrollment.

Read more: http://www.dentonrc.com/local-news/local-news-headlines/20130305-unt-president-lane-rawlins-announces-retirement-plans.ece

DENTON _ University of North Texas President V. Lane Rawlins announced today he plans to retire on or before Dec. 31.

Rawlins joined the Denton campus in May 2010 as an interim appointment, but was later named the permanent president.

"I never dreamed I would stay more than a few months, but UNT is such a special place that I fell in love with the university, its students,
faculty and staff," Rawlins said in a prepared statement.

Rawlins plans to remain involved with UNT through an active President Emeritus appointment that will allow him to work on special projects.

Read more: http://www.star-telegram.com/2013/03/05/4661250/university-of-north-texas-president.html

A couple of thoughts --

While Dr. Rawlins will be greatly missed, UNT has a great opportunity to make a big impact hire here.

Typically you don't see these type of retirement announcements unless a good candidate has been identified.

With the capital campaign, Tier I status, changes in the education system and the overall growth of the University this replacement will have a full plate from day 1.

I am pretty confident that the person hired will be 100% behind athletics. In years past I would have been more concerned about this but with the capital outlay for Apogee, pedestrian bridge etc I just can't see anyone being hired that doesn't realize the critical importance athletics plays. Simply put, there are just not many University presidents looking to de-emphasize athletics as seen in years past.

It will be interesting to see what type of candidate Chancellor Jackson and the Board of Regents will hire. Historically it has been more of an academic candidate --- but with the battle for Tier I funding, an emphasis on political ties and fundraising capability become paramount.

A couple of thoughts --

While Dr. Rawlins will be greatly missed, UNT has a great opportunity to make a big impact hire here.

Typically you don't see these type of retirement announcements unless a good candidate has been identified.

With the capital campaign, Tier I status, changes in the education system and the overall growth of the University this replacement will have a full plate from day 1.

I am pretty confident that the person hired will be 100% behind athletics. In years past I would have been more concerned about this but with the capital outlay for Apogee, pedestrian bridge etc I just can't see anyone being hired that doesn't realize the critical importance athletics plays. Simply put, there are just not many University presidents looking to de-emphasize athletics as seen in years past.

It will be interesting to see what type of candidate Chancellor Jackson and the Board of Regents will hire. Historically it has been more of an academic candidate --- but with the battle for Tier I funding, an emphasis on political ties and fundraising capability become paramount.

Hope it turns out better than the Lee F. Jackson hiring since that is why he was brought on board.

• Upvote 2

A couple of thoughts --

It is sad to hear he is gone, but I agree with you. UNT has a chance to make a big move that could greatly affect the athletic department. I can not wait to know who they pick!

• Upvote 1

How about the President of UTA? Seems like every time I pick up the ST these days there is a story about their phenomenal growth and their increased academic status.

Retiring this year. Gave a rousing but rambling speech at halftime of the Utah State basketball game where he claimed UT-Arlington is going to the national championship game (not just the tournament, not the sweet 16, not the final 4... TO THE CHAMPIONSHIP. Where they will presumably lose, because Spaniolo didn't specifically state they'd win)

http://www.star-telegram.com/2012/06/18/4041703/spaniolo-announces-surprise-retirement.html

V. Lane resigns in protest of the attempted ouster of every fraternity on campus.

Actually, I have witnessed Veldon Lane Rawlins look straight at representatives from the Intrafraternity Council and say, "look, you all are not as important as you think you are."

I love the man's candor.

If anything, he's had a hand in reigning in the Greeks to some degree.

• Upvote 1

There's no way RV can have any say in the new hire, right?

Right?

If he does, I'd expect him to get overwhelmed with excitement at binders full of plans, as well as great success at being either a local school district superintendent or as the assistant vice president at another institution...

• Upvote 1