Official LSU - 73 vs #17 Missouri - 70 FINAL! TIGERS WIN!

UNTMike81

"I think he brings out the best in our players. Like others have mentioned, we do not have the most talent on the court when we play SEC games, but the guys play hard for him and look like
they are having fun. I'm excited about the future of the program."

"This LSU team is fun to watch: I don't know what to tell you if you can't get excited about beating a ranked team. Mazzou is ranked 17th in the country, 17th!" And their star big man (Bowers) has been out injured for a long time, UNTIL TONIGHT! And we still managed to beat them with an undedr-sized team and no
bench to speak of."

J

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Who gives a flaming crap. JJ is gone. JJ had plenty of time to get us over the hump and he didn't. The fact that RV hired arguably the worst coach in NT history to replace JJ does not change that.

Not trying to pick a fight or anything, because hey- I think you're swell.

But, counterpoint-

Whatever 'hump' you feel we didn't get over under Johnny was an obstacle that wasn't even visible on the horizon when he started here.

When he first got here, getting 'over the hump' meant double digit wins. Then, it meant winning a conference tournament game. Then, it meant making the NCAAs. Then, it was certain recruiting hurdles. Then, it meant winning the regular season. Then, it meant beating a power conference team. Then, it was beating a power conference team on the road. Etcetera, etcetera, etcetera.

No matter what you do, there's always another hump to get over. And anyone, anywhere, is free to say "not good enough" about anything they feel like diminishing.

I wish we'd won a tournament game. But even if we had, someone else could always bitch that we hadn't made a Sweet 16, or any other bar you want to set. I wish we'd beaten a ranked team. But, when you only get one or two chances a year, always on the road, usually against perennial powerhouses like Kansas or Texas, that's exceptionally improbable. That's why they pay teams to show up for those games. One of the humps JJ supposedly wasn't capable of getting over was beating a ranked team... But he did it last week (at home, I'll point out... an opportunity he never got here at NT) despite coaching a team that (in my opinion) is less talented than most of the ones he led in his last few years here at North Texas.

He's gone, he left us. And honestly, I'm not that interested in defending his achievements or legacy to anyone who doesn't feel they were worthwhile. As far as I'm concerned, though, he did some amazing things here, and I will love that guy forever for what he accomplished and how he represented us.

It doesn't matter what you do, there's always another hump to get over. And people will always be able to talk down your achievements by pointing to whatever the next hurdle would have been.

Seriously, it's never, ever enough. There's always something else. Just ask Gary Williams.

But, counterpoint-

Whatever 'hump' you feel we didn't get over under Johnny was an obstacle that wasn't even visible on the horizon when he started here.

When he first got here, getting 'over the hump' meant double digit wins. Then, it meant winning a conference tournament game. Then, it meant making the NCAAs. Then, it was certain recruiting hurdles. Then, it meant winning the regular season. Then, it meant beating a power conference team. Then, it was beating a power conference team on the road. Etcetera, etcetera, etcetera.

No matter what you do, there's always another hump to get over. And anyone, anywhere, is free to say "not good enough" about anything they feel like diminishing.

I wish we'd won a tournament game. But even if we had, someone else could always bitch that we hadn't made a Sweet 16, or any other bar you want to set. I wish we'd beaten a ranked team. But, when you only get one or two chances a year, always on the road, usually against perennial powerhouses like Kansas or Texas, that's exceptionally improbable. That's why they pay teams to show up for those games. One of the humps JJ supposedly wasn't capable of getting over was beating a ranked team... But he did it last week (at home, I'll point out... an opportunity he never got here at NT) despite coaching a team that (in my opinion) is less talented than most of the ones he led in his last few years here at North Texas.

He's gone, he left us. And honestly, I'm not that interested in defending his achievements or legacy to anyone who doesn't feel they were worthwhile. As far as I'm concerned, though, he did some amazing things here, and I will love that guy forever for what he accomplished and how he represented us.

It doesn't matter what you do, there's always another hump to get over. And people will always be able to talk down your achievements by pointing to whatever the next hurdle would have been.

Seriously, it's never, ever enough. There's always something else. Just ask Gary Williams.

Cool, but he's gone. Put this on the "Non-UNT Sports" thread. Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

But, counterpoint-

I don't disagree with that sentiment. I think you're swell too by the way. My point is that in my personal opinion, it felt like JJ had taken the program as far as he could. At which point I would prefer someone else coming in and trying to further what JJ started. Unfortunately, RV didn't make the right hire. That doesn't change whether or not JJ had peaked at NT. Obviously he has a new set of resources at LSU.

Don't get me wrong. What JJ was doing was immensely better than Benford. I really appreciate everything Johnny did. He was a classy guy always thanked the fans (something Bwnford needs to do more of to the people still sticking around), but once someone leaves NT, they are gone in my book. I don't follow them, don't root for them, don't care. I understand why some people might want to do that, but threads seemingly celebrating an LSU victory just because their guy coached NT last year seems a bit much.

Hopefully that Was coherent and typo free. Just woke up and typing on a phone is tricky...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I don't disagree with that sentiment. I think you're swell too by the way. My point is that in my personal opinion, it felt like JJ had taken the program as far as he could. At which point I would prefer someone else coming in and trying to further what JJ started. Unfortunately, RV didn't make the right hire. That doesn't change whether or not JJ had peaked at NT. Obviously he has a new set of resources at LSU.

Don't get me wrong. What JJ was doing was immensely better than Benford. I really appreciate everything Johnny did. He was a classy guy always thanked the fans (something Bwnford needs to do more of to the people still sticking around), but once someone leaves NT, they are gone in my book. I don't follow them, don't root for them, don't care. I understand why some people might want to do that, but threads seemingly celebrating an LSU victory just because their guy coached NT last year seems a bit much.

Hopefully that Was coherent and typo free. Just woke up and typing on a phone is tricky...

Other than the not following him part and the peaking part, I agree with both you and Tasty. I still follow Johnny, but could not care less for LSU and even less for a thread started here about either of them. Exceptions are if LSU plays North Texas or a JJ coached NT team are being discussed. I want the best for Johnny Jones and enjoy watching his teams (then and now), but this board is the last place I want to see updates on him.

I'm sure as we get farther away from his time here we'll see less of this. Part of the reason we see so much now is because JJ was a likeable figure and provided us fans with possibly the best stretch of North Texas basketball we've ever seen. You don't see anyone giving us updates on Karen Aston. Maybe its because folks have faith in Pederson - A hire that RV hit outta the park, IMO. Guy seems like he wants to be here.

Seriously, you felt moved to take that kind of shot at a fellow fan? Way out of line, and even as passionate as it gets with views here on this board, uncalled for.

Agreed. And I, as well as pretty much anyone not named UNTLifer, am still confused where the notion that I'm the GMG version of Malcolm X comes from. Am I supposed to be enraged because we replaced our black head coach with...A BLACK HEAD COACH?

Remember folks, I didn't land on UNTLifer, UNTLifer landed on me!

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Agreed. And I, as well as pretty much anyone not named UNTLifer, am still confused where the notion that I'm the GMG version of Malcolm X comes from. Am I supposed to be enraged because we replaced our black head coach with...A BLACK HEAD COACH?

I don't know about GMG's Malcolm X... But I will confess that I imagine all North Texas sporting events with you calmly, gently narrating them.

"I wish I could tell you that North Texas fought the good fight, and Tony Benford let them be. I wish I could tell you that - but basketball is no fairy-tale world."

Dunbar is gone, but people have a fan interest in his Cowboy career and I'm almost positive we see him in the football forum. I'm not much of a Dallas guy, but I love it when he gets press and hope that somebody puts in the football forum for more to see.

Try to understand it this way: there are some here - not sure why - that have admitted to browsing the football forum strictly, with no intent to even bother with the Eagles Nest/Basketball/whatever. Maybe they want to read about Dunbar, too. Just the same, I'm sure there are some bball fans with a rooting interest in Tristan Thompson, or Josh White.

I am a college sports fan with roots at UNT. When a guy comes to our school and does something special, I have an interest in seeing him succeed in his other endeavors.

There is no blanket rule that successfully filters every thread to everyone's convenience. Apparently some of you choose to be vocal about this, as if it is (not necessarily to you) a hassle to quickly click ctrl-w

• Upvote 1

Eh, a lot of us white folks don't feel like Malcolm X was a hater. But I guess someone thought he needed to go. Honestly, with what we've been through, we should be glad that UNT folks still care enough to go to the games, as Emmitt does.

Everyone that wants to complain about posting about JJ and his success are crazy. JJ did great things for this program and bc of that I will always support him and get excited when he has success. The man is getting to live his dream by coaching at LSU and wish him all the success in the world. By the way, they just beat Miss St on the road.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I posted about LSU and JJ not because JJ beat the number 17th team in the country or because I care about LSU basketball. I posted win because I respect JJ as a coach and don't respect the decision RV made hiring Benford, or what Benford's done since arriving at UNT.

Benford & Co, and the players if you want to blame them are FLAMING UNT men's basketball and set our program back 3 to 4 decades or more.

I posted because JJ has his team ready to play and LSU from talent standpoint is undermaned in SEC play, but what's JJ doning? WInning, has his players motivated and playing the system of BB that JJ installs, like to play/run, and freaking wins more often than not when doing so. Do I wish JJ was still here...HELL YES, but JJ finally got his "dream" job after bring our program back from the dead!!! Where are we headed now...back to the Dead!!

Benford can't motivate his team out of a paperbag, or coach for that matter. Do you think Benford can recruit? I bet no. Benford recruited some good players after arriving hear, but he was able to do so based on JJ success. Now everyone can see he can't coach or motivate his players out of a paper bag.

RV is the only one that can save us now. I'm going to us JJ as a reference point to our failing program as he was the last coach that knew how to motivate a UNT men's team, win, and recruite. Oden now plays for JJ and was smart enough to follow the man that recruited him.

JJ is just not a good coach. At best, he'll win 20 games and then turn it on in the SEC tournament. That's clearly not preferable to where we are right now.

Have you looked at our recruiting class this year? If JJ keeps recruiting like this then we will be a top 25 team consistently in the upcoming years.

Edited by Chase LOLZORZ