Kingsbury's True Colors

UNT86

Got word today the Coach Kingsbury called Jalen Rhodes of Rowlett and pulled his scholarship offer.

Jalen was heavily recruited as a junior.

He got multiple offers and committed to Tech last June.

Even after Tuberville left, the staff at Tech assured Jalen his offer was intact and he had no need to worry..

Then, last night, Kingsbury called and said that Jalen just "didn't fit the offense".

He is a tailback that can run, catch, and block... so this is total bull..

This just seems to me like more of the same from Tech and the kind of coaches they continue to hire.

No kid should EVER take a Tech coach at his word..

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

Kingsbury is a hell of a coach. I wish we would have promoted him at UH instead of promoting Levine but what's done is done.

Now I'm going to play Devil's Advocate. If he did not fit the offense, he did not fit the offense. There are numerous schools out there for him to choose from, so it's not like his football career is over or anything. Mac has pulled some offers from kids, especially considering that for some of them, UNT was their only D1 offer. So does that mean his word can't be trusted either?

Things like this happen all the time. You should think about it from a coach's perspective aside from a fan's.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

kingsbury has a lot of learning coming his way. not because of this, but because of the staff he's assembling out there in lubbock. basically if you are under 33 and played there then you can be on his staff. last i saw he named 5 coaches and 4 were former players ages, 32, 32, 31 and 27. the other was someone he coached with at houston, i think the former dc. the first thing i thought of was dodge and his crew. i think this hire is going to haunt tech for years.

Edited by Green Crazy

kingsbury has a lot of learning coming his way. not because of this, but because of the staff he's assembling out there in lubbock. basically if you are under 33 and played there then you can be on his staff. last i saw he named 5 coaches and 4 were former players ages, 32, 32, 31 and 27. the other was someone he coached with at houston, i think the former dc. the first thing i thought of was dodge and his crew. i think this hire is going to haunt tech for years.

Or, he will lead them to their first Big 12 title.

Big risk, big reward/failure.

Tech fans are well aware of this.

1. Why do we care what Tech does? 2. What's wrong with not adding this kid? Is it after signing day.? Did he move out there? Are there really no other schools with school scholarships that will take this kid?

The problem for any kid at this point is that it is so close to signing day.

Most schools already have their commitments lined up and are just trying to hold on to them.

So, the kid does everything right and still get the short end of the stick because now there may not be many places left to go.

In his case, I doubt we will still take him.

I don't think we are taking a running back in this class.

I don't have any particular love for Tech.

I just think it is a shame the way college head coaches treat people, even at their own schools.

They ask for 100% loyalty, but don't come close to providing the same in return.

• Downvote 1

The problem for any kid at this point is that it is so close to signing day.

Most schools already have their commitments lined up and are just trying to hold on to them.

So, the kid does everything right and still get the short end of the stick because now there may not be many places left to go.

In his case, I doubt we will still take him.

I don't think we are taking a running back in this class.

I don't have any particular love for Tech.

I just think it is a shame the way college head coaches treat people, even at their own schools.

They ask for 100% loyalty, but don't come close to providing the same in return.

Let's not forget that this is a 2 way street. Fickle 18 year olds also change their mind late n the game.

Like all relationships, the good ones will last.

Or, he will lead them to their first Big 12 title.

Big risk, big reward/failure.

Tech fans are well aware of this.

Not a chance. One or more of the staff will get caught with a coed or partying with them before they win 8 games. That staff has hardly any experience and hardly any recruiting connections, plus expect their average defense to get worse.

They are aware of this, and none of my tech friends like it one bit.

He was the offensive coordinator at UH when Keenum was there.

He was the offensive coordinator with Manziel.

I might be a genius with those QBs. He may turn out to be a great coach but if I could call a play that breaks down/doesn't work and then my quarterback breaks off a 25yd run or throws for a 25yd td, I'd be pretty smart too.

I don't like when kids or coaches break committments but it happens. Hope the kid lands somewhere and it works out.

Let's not forget that this is a 2 way street. Fickle 18 year olds also change their mind late n the game.

Like all relationships, the good ones will last.

Problem here is that this is not a generality...it happened to this kid...because other kids change their minds has nothing to do with this kid.

Tough luck for this kid...just hope he lands somewhere else...if not UNT then hopefully somewhere in the Big XII so he can try to stick it to Kingsbury and Tech.

Yep, it happens, it is nothing new...but it shouldn't happen and it sucks for this kid. My prediction...he will land somewhere and he will be fine. Probably best for him if this is the way Kingsbury wants to run his program.

Edited by KRAM1
  • Upvote 1

Not a chance. One or more of the staff will get caught with a coed or partying with them before they win 8 games. That staff has hardly any experience and hardly any recruiting connections, plus expect their average defense to get worse.

They are aware of this, and none of my tech friends like it one bit.

Uh, talk to some OU fans. Age doesn't really matter when it comes to partying with the coed.

Just ask Barry Switzer.

• Upvote 2

Uh, talk to some OU fans. Age doesn't really matter when it comes to partying with the coed.

Just ask Barry Switzer.

And such legendary campus exploits (along with a rogue program and rogue players) certainly didn't deter the university from honoring ole Barry's "work" by placing a statue of him on campus!

Ah Barry, you were one for the ages...........

Just ask Larry Lacewell.

• Upvote 2

Just ask Barry Switzer.

i know it can happen to any coach at any age, butthe younger the coaches, the higher the chances they would get caught in some sort of situation like this, in my opinion.

oh, i've learned that the dc at houston turned kliff down for tech's dc job and so did the lb coach at a&m. less than a month away and they don't have a dc.

to transition this back to a unt topic....lets start looking at dt's that tech has on their commit list.

*edit*...nevermind, they don't have any dt's committed and only have one defensive commit on their not so impressive list.

Edited by Green Crazy
  • Upvote 1