Aggies leave no doubt

emmitt01

A first year coach can't win with someone else's players ya know!

And congrats to Riley Dodge for getting on that staff too. He's got a good future ahead of him.

Rick

:D

Yeah...it's a good thing Sumlin doesn't coach down here in the Sun Belt. The compeition is so fierce, he'd need four or five years and "his own guys" for sure.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

I don't buy the SEC thing for this season, with respects to A&M. They aren't playing new recruits. This is a Big XII-recruited team with a CUSA offense everyone said was a gimmick. And it's awesome. They are probably the best team in the nation- right this moment- and we won't know definitively because we don't have a proper playoff. Ironically, had they stayed in the Big XII, they'd likely be playing for a National Championship THIS SEASON.

But overall, yes... they'll clearly be fine in the SEC!

It also doesn't hurt having the best O-line in the nation. And there might not be enough hyperbole in English language for Manziel.

Edited by Eagle1855
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I don't buy the SEC thing for this season, with respects to A&M. They aren't playing new recruits. This is a Big XII-recruited team with a CUSA offense everyone said was a gimmick. And it's awesome. They are probably the best team in the nation- right this moment- and we won't know definitively because we don't have a proper playoff. Ironically, had they stayed in the Big XII, they'd likely be playing for a National Championship THIS SEASON.

But overall, yes... they'll clearly be fine in the SEC!

It also doesn't hurt having the best O-line in the nation. And there might not be enough hyperbole in English language for Manziel.

That was very evident. Johnny Manziel did some amazing things when he was running in traffic (peripheral vision +++) but his line gave him the initial openings. Plus, I'd be willing to bet that his official 40 time doesn't come close to matching his "game" speed.

• Upvote 3

They're doing just fine without the Big XII.

They did a bang up job in the Big XII. How many conference championships did they win? Did they win the SEC championship?

They weren't terribly competative so they took their ball and went home. Now they complain they won't play Texas. Frankly I hope Texas continues to shun them. A&M is a bizarre group of people that wish they were UT. One season doesn't mean crap.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 6

They did a bang up job in the Big XII. How many conference championships did they win? Did they win the SEC championship?

They weren't terribly competative so they took their ball and went home. Now they complain they won't play Texas. Frankly I hope Texas continues to shun them. A&M is a bizarre group of people that wish they were UT. One season doesn't mean crap.

And when (or if) we finally break out of our losing skid, and have a noticeable winning season, do you think that people recruiting against us will use the same phrase?

• Upvote 1

Texas has gone from shunning them to being viewed as avoiding them. Texas would actually benefit from playing and trying to take down a top 5 team in the country next year. It would raise their SOS.

But with that said this was about the Aggies and watching one of the coolest programs in the country. I tune in to watch any Oregon game and I do that with the Aggies now too. I even hosted a Johnny Football cookout/bonfire last night. We raised a tequila shot to the Aggies at the end of the night and I woke up feeling all those beers too. It was a blast and my new friends were thinking - good gosh how will he be when the Mean Green get good again!

Even my Texas friends couldn't help but shout with some amazement. It was all in good fun and now back to the Mean Green!!!!!

GMG

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Texas has gone from shunning them to being viewed as avoiding them.

May be viewed that way, and Texas may have indeed felt the same, but many reports said that the SEC and A&M didn't want a match-up with Texas in the Cotton Bowl, as it provided no benefit to the Aggies. If they won, they beat Texas in a "down" year (oh to be part of a program where 9-4 is "down"). If they lost, it would be business as usual for the Aggies.

I don't necessarily agree with that sentiment, but that was what was reported, nevertheless. I'd provide a source, but I'm lazy and it's the internet so you can take my word for it.

Personally, I think initially it was good business to cut A&M off of the schedule- for Texas and the rest of the Texas teams in the Big XII. If the Ags want to SECede, let them. Then offer them no additional recruiting benefit by having them play additional games in the State of Texas. "Sure, you can go to A&M, but your parents will only get to see you play close to home 6 times a year."

What the Big XII and Texas (Deloss) didn't count on was A&M being this good, this fast. Which, I believe, has changed everything.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Now they complain they won't play Texas. Frankly I hope Texas continues to shun them. A&M is a bizarre group of people that wish they were UT. One season doesn't mean crap.

Nope! I'm surrounded by Aggies and texas couldn't be any further from their conversations or concerns except for the butt of jokes and laughter.

A&M has 7....THAT'S SEVEN Congrssional Medal of Honor Award recipients to their school's alumni list...and it just goes on from there, including a Hiesman by a multiple record breaking QB that now must win a NC to only show improvement. They are on top right now looking down on us all....tU included.

Rick

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

I'm surrounded by Aggies and texas couldn't be any further from their conversations or concerns except for the butt of jokes and laughter.

Haha. Riiiight. Because 9 straight seasons of 10+ wins, a National Championship, a couple Conference Champs- all things Aggies couldn't swing in over a decade+ - all just went right out the window after two down years and A&M's first 10+ win season in 14 years? Okay.

That's almost as absurd as the Aggies in Houston that call-in to talk radio stations and say things like "We're above the Cotton Bowl, we don't get excited about those sorts of bowls." You know, the year following a 6-6 Meineke Car Care Bowl appearance in the "awful, overrated and mean Big XII".

Don't kid yourself: the Aggie little brother mentality is still strong. But hey, all this bravado is stupid. And to think any side is more or less justified in the pillow fights between these two schools is wishful thinking.

But it sure makes for good rivalry, doesn't it?

Edited by Eagle1855
  • Upvote 3

And when (or if) we finally break out of our losing skid, and have a noticeable winning season, do you think that people recruiting against us will use the same phrase?

I believe so. One season is pretty meaningless in the scheme of things. Memories are pretty short. Here at UNT I would be excited for a .500 season at this point. After that I would hope for better and even more excited about a bowl game to go to.

Recruiting is a different animal. I don't recall hearing anyone talk about other universities records or hearing any negativity when I was recruited. The coaches and players were generally very positive about the other schools I looked at and were more concerned with selling their school. I specifically remember the coaches from other schools being complimentary of UNT and its staff when I told them I chose UNT. Maybe that isn't the norm?

People are talking like the Aggies are a dynasty after one season and folks like Texas are avoiding them. They played last year in College Station, Texas won. ESPN is trying to sell A&M and "Johnny Football" as the second coming of Christ now that they are in the SEC, shocker. A year ago every media outlet spoke about A&M as whipping boys with an over inflated sense of self worth. They will crap on them instantly if they have a shaky start next year. Kind of how everyone is treating Texas these days.

Edited by UNTexas
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Their offensive line was outstanding. And Manziel was fantastic. But, let's keep that on the down low. This is an SEC bootlicking session, baby!

• Upvote 1

Nope! I'm surrounded by Aggies and texas couldn't be any further from their conversations or concerns except for the butt of jokes and laughter.

A&M has 7....THAT'S SEVEN Congrssional Medal of Honor Award recipients to their school's alumni list...and it just goes on from there, including a Hiesman by a multiple record breaking QB that now must win a NC to only show improvement. They are on top right now looking down on us all....tU included.

Rick

Kind of makes sense, since they produced more commissioned officers during WW2 than than the traditional service academies combined.

• Upvote 2

Yeah, the Aggies are a one year wonder.

Heisman winning quarterback who just torched an OU team that ran Texas out of the Cotton Bowl...check

O-line that gave him all that time- check. They had one senior starter.

They're losing Ryan Swope. But they're bringing in some guy names Ricky Seals-Jones. I think UT fans remember that guy.

Defense has several seniors on it. This may be a task to replace.

Bama comes to College Station in 2013. The only SEC heavyweight that they play on the road is LSU. Look at this schedule. (Granted, it's still tougher than any Big XII slate...but it sets up nicely)

http://m.aggieathletics.com/all/article/205715485

They're doomed. Doomed I tells ya.

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Yeah, the Aggies are a one year wonder.

Heisman winning quarterback who just torched an OU team that ran Texas out of the Cotton Bowl...check

O-line that gave him all that time- check. They had one senior starter.

They're losing Ryan Swope. But they're bringing in some guy names Ricky Seals-Jones. I think UT fans remember that guy.

Defense has several seniors on it. This may be a task to replace.

Bama comes to College Station in 2013.

They're doomed. Doomed I tells ya.

Emmitt and Rick, sittin' in a tree, G-I-G 'EM I-N-G.

• Upvote 7

Kind of makes sense, since they produced more commissioned officers during WW2 than than the traditional service academies combined.
Over drinks recently we had a similar discussion. An A&M grad was bragging to my friends, who both graduated from Westpoint and are active duty Army, about A&M and his beloved core. My buddies basically called him a tool. The Aggie was so irate when he admitted he was never in the military and they called his beloved core a non Greek fraternity. They also said that wasn't the first of such a moronic discussion with people like that guy who incidentally was hanging around our table uninvited.

He threw out the WW2 stat like you did. They laughed. He even threw out the false claim about Patton and his A&M comments, which VMI students claim as well. Millions of Americas served in WW2, not just that school, please stop with the Aggie propaganda. It's an interesting stat but they have nothing on the academies. I guess they feel inferior to Texas and to the service academies too, in the case of the academies, they should.

Now, back to football...

Edited by UNTexas
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Over drinks recently we had a similar discussion. An A&M grad was bragging to my friends, who both graduated from Westpoint and are active duty Army, about A&M and his beloved core. My buddies basically called him a tool. The Aggie was so irate when he admitted he was never in the military and they called his beloved core a really sad fraternity. They also said that wasn't the first of such a moronic discussion with people like that guy who incidentally was hanging around our table uninvited.

He threw out the WW2 stat like you did. They laughed. He even threw out the false claim about Patton and his A&M comments, which VMI students claim as well. Millions of Americas served in WW2, not just that school, please stop with the Aggie propaganda. It's an interesting stat but they have nothing on the academies. I guess they feel inferior to Texas and to the service academies, in the case of the academies, they should.

Is this just an odd coincidence that we have all experienced at one point or another?

Edited by CurveItAround
  • Upvote 2