Nick Orr

cdizzle86

I really don't think a June offer prior to the player's senior year qualifies as "coming in with last minute offerings."

I hope we land Nick (mainly for football, but also to keep the Orr's in our tailgating crew), but every kid in this part of the country grows up wanting to play in the Big 12 or the SEC. Nick has that opportunity.

Actually, I wasn't referring to Nick Orr specifically but to the last minute offers that flow from the Techs, TCUs, Oklahomas, etc. after they lose a higher rated recruit. If Nick is at or near the top of a Power 5 board in June, receives an offer, and believes that he will get a reasonable opportunity to start then he should strongly consider any such offer. But, all too often, some of the big schools make last minute offers just to keep others from getting a player.

Yes, I realize that any player worth his salt believes that he can start for anyone and many can. But, even more never make it to the starting lineup and others don't get PT. Did any of the BCS transfers not believe that they could not get significant playing time?

Maybe I'm a little bitter because I've seen us victimized too many times before and end up doing a disservice to the athlete.

• Upvote 1

Actually, I wasn't referring to Nick Orr specifically but to the last minute offers that flow from the Techs, TCUs, Oklahomas, etc. after they lose a higher rated recruit. If Nick is at or near the top of a Power 5 board in June, receives an offer, and believes that he will get a reasonable opportunity to start then he should strongly consider any such offer. But, all too often, some of the big schools make last minute offers just to keep others from getting a player.

Yes, I realize that any player worth his salt believes that he can start for anyone and many can. But, even more never make it to the starting lineup and others don't get PT. Did any of the BCS transfers not believe that they could not get significant playing time?

Maybe I'm a little bitter because I've seen us victimized too many times before and end up doing a disservice to the athlete.

I agree with you, but the point is it will never change because the kids will never agree with you.

• Upvote 1

I agree with you, but the point is it will never change because the kids will never agree with you.

I think you're spot-on with the mindset they have, and don't expect them to agree with us, or even the coaches recruiting them, when they have offers from a Power school. But they might listen to their friends and friends-of-friends when they're like, "Yeah, these dudes on our team were all big time recruits out of high school but hardly got to play until they transferred here and kicked some ass!"

There are other defensive backs of similar quality to Nick Orr. Maybe not better, but close. But, none of those would have quite the impact that our favorite would have.

First, it would indelibly etch the name 'Orr' in UNT history. I believe that Zachary Orr is a shoo-in for the North Texas Hall of Fame and Nick Orr could give us the first brother combination that I can recall. I believe that he's that good.

Second, a Nick Orr verbal could stimulate others to commit to the Mean Green. If other recruits see that Nick "believes in the Mean Green" it could easily encourage them to make up their mind.

Finally, I would like to think (although I know it won't) that it would discourage the TCUs, Techs, Okie States, etc. that they do a disservice by coming in with last minute offerings, get an acceptance, and have the player see little action. I believe that this coaching staff is capable of producing NFL-quality players; given the talent to work with.

From someone who has seen N. Orr several times, he ain't Zach Orr!!! Year after year there are kids that receive multiple offers and sign above their ability. Nick maybe this kid in 2014.

First of all, he has played safety for the past 2 years exclusively. To get meaningful playing time, he will have to convert over to corner. Soaking wet, he maybe 165 pounds. Kid is generally in the area but often does not make the plays. I get all the excitement about potentially getting another Zach Orr but Nick is only an Orr in name only. Get back with me in 2-4 years.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

No hunch, just a guess. Oklahoma State is really just the "cool" place to go to right now with high school kids.. Top notch facilities, cool uniforms , every game on tv , etc...

And to you old guys : yes, kids do take such things like uniforms into consideration when making their choices

• Upvote 1

No hunch, just a guess. Oklahoma State is really just the "cool" place to go to right now with high school kids.. Top notch facilities, cool uniforms , every game on tv , etc...

And to you old guys : yes, kids do take such things like uniforms into consideration when making their choices

I would put TCU right up there for almost the same exact reasons.
  • Upvote 1

I would put TCU right up there for almost the same exact reasons.

Exactly right. I almost mentioned them as well.. And after Baylor is done with their new facilities, they will also be right up there.. Stadium is gonna be badass

• Upvote 2

Exactly right. I almost mentioned them as well.. And after Baylor is done with their new facilities, they will also be right up there.. Stadium is gonna be badass

Basically, we've got some tough competition. Even with Zach and all the De Soto connections we are going to have to impress on the field if we have any shot. I have a feeling Nick gives us a chance to impress him with this football season.
  • Upvote 1

That's a pretty good point about the unis. My high school colors were brown and orange, or in the vernacular, a "crapstain on a pumpkin". Feeling like you might look like an idiot in a certain uniform is very likely a factor, even if not a major one.

I think our Kryptonite is Texas. Terry is a Texas guy and if Mack Brown offers I think we're clearly toast. We may be anyway but I will tell you this, Terry and his entire family have been awesome for north texas and they would be missed!

• 2 weeks later...

I think winning is the last thing holding unt back. The battle for Orr wont be over until the end of the season. He will still be at the games watching his brother play. UNT has a good season and go bowling and he can be flipped.

Edited by GOMG2013
  • Upvote 3

I think winning is the last thing holding unt back. The battle for Orr wont be over until the end of the season. He will still be at the games watching his brother play. UNT has a good season and go bowling and he can be flipped.

If winning is the last thing holding us back then why would us having a good season and making a bowl game matter in our recruiting efforts to flip Nick Orr?
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I remember the feeling last season, when it was apparent that we would not be increasing our win total, blowing a 24-10 lead against WKU in the 4th etc that the aftermath would be felt throughout the off-season and during recruiting etc. UNTJim sometimes beats this point to death, but I will side with him on the fact that letting Dodge have a 4th year is STILL hurting this program. You knew that you were opening a new stadium and you knew that whomever was hired would have a big mess to clean up yet you set it up for the new coach to take over the program right before the opening season of the stadium. I can't help but wonder, what if we were heading into C_USA in Mac's 4th season as opposed to his 3rd?

I think there are other reasons for our struggles beyond just wins. TCU and SMU are hitting on all cylinders. TCU is in the Big 12 and now SMU has been to what 4 consecutive bowls? Baylor has a heisman trophy winner and has a new stadium on the way. I think most admire what Mac has done to strengthen the program, academics etc. Where they are struggling is trying to find UNT's recruiting niche... we HAVE to get to where we are winning more battles against SMU than we lose on Dallas area players. The effort is certainly their and the focus in the DFW area in terms of offers is clear. It's the close -- it's identifying why UNT is a better choice, a better fit for a lot of the Dallas area athletes. That is the nut we have to collectively figure out how to crack! GMG!

*face-to-desk*

We just cannot recruit right now. We're just losing out to every TCU and SMU offer...I can't even blame Mac right now. We just need to win. Every other Texas school in our vicinity is hitting their stride...we're busy battling with UTSA and San Marcos Party College for Dudebros for 2 and 1 star athletes.

I think that is why Mac is just hoarding all the transfers.

Our recruiting will be even worse next year if we go 4-8/5-7 again.

It's just, why go to UNT if you get an offer from TCU or SMU (and you don't care about fans, or douchey daddy's boys)?

Edited by meangreener
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1