Class Number 3 breakdown in Radio Show

SHOSS

I didn't catch all of it as I was doing other things but this is what I remember last night when mac went through the breakdown of what he planned to sign this year:

2 Athletes - like his explanation...db's, kick returners, slot receiver type of athletes. Guys that can make plays in space. Think this jermaine Antoine fits this description perfectly... plus one more if we should get this kid?

4 - 5 OLine - seems like this is what he wants to stock pile, 3 so far. Cody Nelson, Harrison Sorge, Dominic Walker, plus 2 more?

3 DLine - wish he could stock pile this position. Could this also fit the 3 to 4 juco kids that he also mentioned would be a part of this class? Can you imagine how happy this board would be if this were the case? No commits ID'ed by Mr. Vito as of yet... of course...

3 linebackers - Don't remember his number here, but Fred Scott(also listed as FB), Calvin Minor, and Sed Ellis thus far

3 - 4 WR's - playmakers are a must here. Darvin Kidsey, plus 3 more?

1 QB - dajon williams, brock berglund(don't think he counts) DONE?

0 RB - only position that he would not sign anybody this year cause he feels set. noticed that he only mentioned byrd, jim jim, pegram, and sashington...no mention of jamarcus jarvis and mark lewis. for some reason I had high hopes for these 2 in addition...falling in love with names I guess. DONE

This is all I can remember which only totals out to 18 or so(think he said he would sign 20 this year, which does NOT include the xfers and gray shirts?). Anyways, can anybody confirm or remember more confidently than I tried this morning?

Thanks

Recruiting season has officially begun. I still have the signing day booklet hanging in my cubicle from the signing day "thing" at Apogee. Can't wait until 2013's version. GMG.

Edited by SHOSS
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Here's my thoughts on the breakdown:

2 athletes - landing this type of player is crucial as you hope that they have the potential to fit in at multiple positions

4-5 Oline - you can never have enough big uglies

3 DL - a little surprised to see this number but we aren't losing a lot here. plus we have several coming off of redshirts

3 LB - this should be the number in every class. give me 3 speedy lb's with a frame to add weight

3-4 WR - big need here. we need instant contributors here.

1 QB - we have a number on scholly already.

3-4 DB - based off the above numbers. We are starting to build some numbers here. other than Trice we are young in the secondary.

0 RB - we are deep and young at this position

It'll be interesting to see how many JUCO's we land and at what positions. Hopefully all will be Dec grads

Edited by H-towngreen

I would like to see more quality and not quantity. (Running back is a perfect example) I'm not worried as much about getting up to the 85 scholarship limit if guys aren't good D1 prospects. A boat load of our scholarships have gone to walk ons. This translate to a bad football team without talent. (Yeah, I know we needed numbers) Do we have any potential All Conference running backs on the current roster? Of the commits we have so far, are any of them potential all conference type guys (in 2-3 years) Our hope lately has been in hoping they get on the field in 2-3 years. We need the biggest, badest and quickest defensive lineman we can get to play in September 2013. If this requires 5-6 Juco's then we need to go in this direction. I get the thought of building with high school kids, This assumes we are getting our fair share of good ones. (and we aren't) I'm tired of new coaches taking 5 years to put a better product on the field. We aren't exactly playing in the Big 12 or SEC. Enough of the bs about how much we are improving and what we inherited.

To finish my rant, please don't recruit any more projects with what is left. If guys aren't ready to contribute as true freshmen or after a redshirt year, don't recruit them. The time to win is now. We should be at a point where 5-6 high major recruits are looking to transfer back to the metroplex for more playing time. It shouldn't take much effort by the coaches to answer the telephone.

Signed

Tired of excuses

Edited by Cooley
  • Upvote 2

With all due respect, with this approach we would have never signed Awasome, or zero offers Patrick Cobbs.or two star Lance Dunbar, or zero offers Johnny Quinn, or zero offers walk on Chris Hurd or zero offers to be a QB Scott Hall, etc....

I agree we need quality, but in our situation we must also be like TCU years ago and continue to find and signed the overlooked diamonds in the rough.

With all due respect, with this approach we would have never signed Awasome, or zero offers Patrick Cobbs.or two star Lance Dunbar, or zero offers Johnny Quinn, or zero offers walk on Chris Hurd or zero offers to be a QB Scott Hall, etc....

I agree we need quality, but in our situation we must also be like TCU years ago and continue to find and signed the overlooked diamonds in the rough.

Getting Awasome, Cobbs, Hurd, Kennedy, Quinn, Scott Hall...that wasn't just getting a diamond in the rough: that was a once-in-a-lifetime, struck-gold scenario for DD. ANd you can't put together a recruiting strategy around that. No one could continue that, and that is exactly what happened with Dickey. He continued the same, almost-strictly "diamond in the rough" searching but the depth ran out.

Since then, instead of having a playmaker at nearly every position, we have relied on 1 or 2 guys TOTAL on each side of the ball to carry us.

There needs to be some sort of balance: we need to find some guys high on the rating system that will pan out and contribute, in addition to opportunities for walk-ons, projects, etc to step up.

The real question is do you trust Mac and staff's ability to evaluate, and more importantly, their ability to develop talent into a good fbs team. Despite the bad record in his first 2 years, it was still improvement over the previous regime, not that it is much to improve on.

We are all still mad about the last 8 years. No matter what this recruiting class looks like, I bet nobody will be happy with it, just like last year. Shame.

Wins will cure all, and I hope this coming season brings .500 or better. For everyone's sanity.

• Upvote 1

The fact that we were under 85 scholly limit really did hurt us. Couldn't coach up stockpiled guys who would now be contributing . . . because we couldn't have them. These walk-ons are great and you take talent everywhere you can, but I'm sure we could have had similar guys on a ship here already.

There is no way around finding and developing players. All the guys that can contribute as freshman are likely headed to more prestigious schools. If you do find one or two like Carlos Harris, they are likely to be unheralded.

As we build more of an identity (run-oriented, defensively stout) we should get those transfers unhappy with their situation at Oklahoma and Texas . . . like we did with Darius Terrell and Marcus Trice.

• Upvote 1

Bynes did nothing other than block but I have never been terribly impressed with him. Delgado was pretty good until the Chancellor injury which isn't terribly surprising because he is not a number one wr. I really don't think they regressed as much as they were exposed without Chancellor in there to draw attention away from them.

• Upvote 2

Bynes did nothing other than block but I have never been terribly impressed with him. Delgado was pretty good until the Chancellor injury which isn't terribly surprising because he is not a number one wr. I really don't think they regressed as much as they were exposed without Chancellor in there to draw attention away from them.

Agreed on this point. When you are minus your top receiver and your top rb...well, you need the understudies to step up. It exposed our lack of depth that we have heard so much about from Mac. If you listen to what the man says, he tells the truth. We were small, slow, and had no depth. I think he is getting more out of our young men than the previous staff. But, until we are bigger, faster, and we have more contributing members in the program, we will always be 2 or 3 injuries away from being a meh football team. I THINK we are getting bigger and faster through the strength and conditioning program... I think the size and speed of our recruits is being improved too...not to the level we all want, but I THINK there is improvement there.

85 contributors is not just a wish...it is a necessary element to a successful football program. Injuries happen. Fact of the football life. More qualities players breeds competition, which improves players...but more competition means more good options when the number one option goes down.

With Mac's plan, I THINK we will steadily improve to the point where we will see it show up in the W column. I HOPE/THINK that it will start to show the next step next year...but then again, I thought we'd be bowling this year after what we all saw last season... So..... gmg?

I can't wait until signing day. Recruiting season has been more fun for me than the actual seasons...except the u la la game and the kansas state games this year and mtsu last year.

I don't subscribe to this point of view. Solid most of the time, but the lack of sacks isn't necessarily a sign that the oline was outstanding. Look at the TFL against us and the inability to run against good defenses also.

That will happen in a one dimensional offense that runs against 8-9 guys in the box.

• Upvote 1

You could certainly make a case for Bynes regressing but he's the only one. Delgado stepped up to become our leading receiver and Smith and Harris progressed to the point of becoming solid contributors. Teegardern was hurt so he didn't have a chance to step in and help. Sampson didn't regress; he was never on top of his game in order to fall back. He couldn't even catch balls in warmups. Schrapps and Lancaster were freshmen who didn't have a chance because of injuries. Schrapps wore a harness on the sideline for the season.

You could certainly make a case for Bynes regressing but he's the only one. Delgado stepped up to become our leading receiver and Smith and Harris progressed to the point of becoming solid contributors. Teegardern was hurt so he didn't have a chance to step in and help. Sampson didn't regress; he was never on top of his game in order to fall back. He couldn't even catch balls in warmups. Schrapps and Lancaster were freshmen who didn't have a chance because of injuries. Schrapps wore a harness on the sideline for the season.

Very true, but I think Delgado really remained the same, or didn't progress from the promise he showed last year. In limited games last year he had 26 receptions for 305 yards and 2 TD's and this year starting all games but one he had 42 receptions for 570 yards and 0 TD's. Harris and Smith were bright spots, Teegarden gets an incomplete, Sampson gets a DOA and I didn't figure in anyone that was being redshirted.

TE: Power is an excellent blocker who put up roughly the same numbers as last year. In 2011 he had 16 receptions for 142 yards and 1 TD, and in 2012 he had 14 receptions for 180 yards and 1 TD. Miller went from 6 receptions for 105 yards and 0 TD's in 2011 to 18 receptions for 136 yards and 2 TD's this year. Marcus Smith was injured after a promising start.