keith Coleman

untwillrise

Since people are complaining about a freshman being picked on what about Coleman?

With his size why the hell is he not playing more? I really think he is on track to failing and not being able to play next semester. But I have 0% info.

Ask Benford. I think Coleman has looked decent when in there, Overlander has looked awful when in there.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Hopefully it's just a message to the guy that not going to class and study hall is letting your team down just as much as not showing up to practice or a game, and nothing else.

It is concerning to see this lack of minutes after calling Coleman the most improved player in fall practice. Let's just hope he had a long way to go.

Coach Benford said that he really likes what he sees out of Coleman in his interview after the game yesterday...

So why is he not playing?

UNT90, how do you know it's a grades thing?

He was held out of the Exhibition at the start of the season for missing class and for missing study hall. Benford said so to the press.

Like I said, hopefully it is just an attitude adjustment aimed at Coleman by Benford. Could it be that Benford knows he may lose Coleman at the semester break, thus doesn't want to give away valuable minutes to a guy who wasn't/won't be there for his teammates? That is pure conjecture, but a very real possibility.

Maybe it's a little of both. Maybe Benford is limiting his minutes until Coleman proves he can makes his grades in mid December. If Coleman's minutes dramatically increase after mid December, I think we have our answer.

Or Coleman could just be a turnover machine that Benford isn't comfortable playing in games right now.

Like I said, last year may have tainted (hehe) me, but the whole suspension for academic reason in the exhibition has me worried.

• Upvote 1

He was held out of the Exhibition at the start of the season for missing class and for missing study hall. Benford said so to the press.

Like I said, hopefully it is just an attitude adjustment aimed at Coleman by Benford. Could it be that Benford knows he may lose Coleman at the semester break, thus doesn't want to give away valuable minutes to a guy who wasn't/won't be there for his teammates? That is pure conjecture, but a very real possibility.

Maybe it's a little of both. Maybe Benford is limiting his minutes until Coleman proves he can makes his grades in mid December. If Coleman's minutes dramatically increase after mid December, I think we have our answer.

Or Coleman could just be a turnover machine that Benford isn't comfortable playing in games right now

Like I said, last year may have tainted (hehe) me, but the whole suspension for academic reason in the exhibition has me worried.

I hope not, but I fear the same thing. If academics are an issue, I much prefer this approach to the one JJ took last year.

Coleman fails and Benford should be canned? Really? If Coleman fails, it's on him.

Is Benford failing? But that's on the player not hitting shots. Coleman was his recruit, he has talked him up almost nonstop (just like defense and rebounding) and so far not much in the way of results or playing time.

We hired a coach that has to learn on the job and it appears his learning curve is very steep. At least as steep as Coleman's. That's on Benford, and this isn't what I would call success.

Is Benford failing? But that's on the player not hitting shots. Coleman was his recruit, he has talked him up almost nonstop (just like defense and rebounding) and so far not much in the way of results or playing time.

We hired a coach that has to learn on the job and it appears his learning curve is very steep. At least as steep as Coleman's. That's on Benford, and this isn't what I would call success.

Ok, but I was responding to Green P1 concerning Coleman being a responsible student in the classroom.

• Upvote 1

His team cant shoot...but that's not his fault.

His team plays no perimeter defense...but that's not his fault.

His team gets consistently outrebounded...but that's not his fault.

His team takes ill advised shots and shows no basketball IQ...but that's not his fault.

One of his players just might be an academic casualty...but that's not his fault.

Tell me then, what IS the responsibility of a COACH?

• Upvote 3

His team takes ill advised shots and shows no basketball IQ...but that's not his fault.

One of his players just might be an academic casualty...but that's not his fault.

Thats a good question.
  • Upvote 1

dont think anyone is saying it isnt his fault. You just seem to be miserable and want to raise hell about stuff because things arent going your way. I see you complain about both coaches. If they are bad hires, the AD needs to go. I can promise you Benford and DMac are working as hard as possible to right their respective ships.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

dont think anyone is saying it isnt his fault. You just seem to be miserable and want to raise hell about stuff because things arent going your way. I see you complain about both coaches. If they are bad hires, the AD needs to go. I can promise you Benford and DMac are working as hard as possible to right their respective ships.

If by "going my way" you mean a football team en route to a regression in record and a basketball team billed (not just by us but by the national media) as having the potential to be special, yet showing itself to be anything but, then bravo on hitting the nail on the head. And don't blame me for pointing out the question that is on the minds of MANY of our fans. It's been consistently said by some of our fans that Benford can't control the way the team shoots, the shots the other team hits, whether Coleman goes to class, whether we are improved on defense or rebounding...so my only question was "what is he responsible for?" If that makes me "miserable" then I'm guilty as charged. I'd think pretty much all of us are miserable given the constant "potential" that our teams have and the equally constant lack of "results". Only at North Texas.

Edited by emmitt01

Since this is probably aimed at me, the basketball portion on your question falls squarely on the coach. The academic portion, outside of making sure they attend class, is on the student/athlete. The coach can't make a student work in the classroom or study at home. He can make sure he attends study hall, but it is like leading a horse to water.

Since this is probably aimed at me, the basketball portion on your question falls squarely on the coach. The academic portion, outside of making sure they attend class, is on the student/athlete. The coach can't make a student work in the classroom or study at home. He can make sure he attends study hall, but it is like leading a horse to water.

So you're saying that armed with the knowledge of the grade troubles that killed our season last year, you don't think the coaching staff would need to make it priority 1 that the same thing not happen again?

Again.... We don't know if Keith's situation has anything to do with failing grades... But if it does then a lot of the failure falls at Benford's feet.

Actually, it is on the coach to insure that he recruits players that can stay eligible.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

So you're saying that armed with the knowledge of the grade troubles that killed our season last year, you don't think the coaching staff would need to make it priority 1 that the same thing not happen again?

Again.... We don't know if Keith's situation has anything to do with failing grades... But if it does then a lot of the failure falls at Benford's feet.

You might reread his post. His point was that even if it's Benford's top priority, there is only so much he and his staff can do. They can make sure he goes to class and study hall. They can't make him pay attention and they can't make him read when he looks at pages. At some point, the student has to make the decision to want to try to learn.

• Upvote 1