As you scan the crowd today

emmitt01

because if you don't dog on the past you are left looking at the present :mom::bbq::camp::turkey:

Good to hear from you Summer's Eve. The present doesn't bother me because the future is bright. The problem is Dodge had to gamble on JUCO's and it failed and decimated our depth. We have the 7th youngest team in the nation because of this, so the past is relevant to our present situation.

I just get tired of some fans that complain about the current situation all the time, always have a better plan than the AD's, etc...

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

I wonder how anyone was surprised today, they are just that much better than NT.

About expectations, I wonder why anyone whether young or old is really happy with this program as it is. NT has 3 wins including one over a "rent a win" team and will be lucky to win 4 this year. That is one less than last year and even with the year Dodge was fired if you eliminate the TSU game, believe me beating a bad SWAC team is nothing. There has been no advancement this year in the most important stat, wins.

Any progress that has been made obviously can not be measured in wins at this point. The problem I see is I don't see it in recruiting either. If NT was not ranked almost last in Texas in recruiting than maybe it would be easier to believe that McCarney is building a program.

I have no doubts that McCarney is a better coach than DD or TD but is that good enough. At this point, I don't think anyone has the answer including those that are happy with what they see as progress and those wondering why NT can't do better. I think it is way too early to paint McCarney as a bad hire but likewise I'm not seeing much that makes me think McCarney is on his way to success here either.

• Upvote 5

I wonder how anyone was surprised today, they are just that much better than NT.

About expectations, I wonder why anyone whether young or old is really happy with this program as it is. NT has 3 wins including one over a "rent a win" team and will be lucky to win 4 this year. That is one less than last year and even with the year Dodge was fired if you eliminate the TSU game, believe me beating a bad SWAC team is nothing. There has been no advancement this year in the most important stat, wins.

Any progress that has been made obviously can not be measured in wins at this point. The problem I see is I don't see it in recruiting either. If NT was not ranked almost last in Texas in recruiting than maybe it would be easier to believe that McCarney is building a program.

I have no doubts that McCarney is a better coach than DD or TD but is that good enough. At this point, I don't think anyone has the answer including those that are happy with what they see as progress and those wondering why NT can't do better. I think it is way too early to paint McCarney as a bad hire but likewise I'm not seeing much that makes me think McCarney is on his way to success here either.

Yes, I'm still on the Mac bandwagon, but I have to admit that my grip on the wagon is starting to get a little slippery. Bring in A COUPLE of quality JC defensive linemen, manage the QB situation a little better, find a way to upgrade our overall recruiting, and then my grip will start to tighten up again.

With all that we've been through the last few years, a five year rebuilding plan could be very painful to our fanbase. To tell you the truth, we're lucky to have the core fanbase that we have now. I sure hope we can find a way to end this season on a positive note.

• Upvote 1

Dan needs five years to win. Just look at hudspeth and freeze and Malzahn...how could we possibly expect to be competitive at this point. Nobody wins in the first two years. Lower your expectations people.

#1 Freeze inherited a team that had four guys worthy of NFL contracts including one draftee.

#2. Freeze had experience at QB and WR.

#3. Freeze had been the OC the year before so wasn't installing a new offense and he knew which assistants were worth keeping.

Malzahn took over a 10 win team returning its QB and all but one skill starter on offense.

Edited by Arkstfan
  • Upvote 1

#1 Freeze inherited a team that had four guys worthy of NFL contracts including one draftee.

#3. Freeze had been the OC the year before so wasn't installing a new offense and he knew which assistants were worth keeping.

Malzahn took over a 10 win team returning its QB and all but one skill starter on offense.

DMac had two guys end up on the Cowboys

DMac had an OC that had been there the year before, taken over as head coach for several games, and rallied the team to win a few

• Upvote 1

DMac had two guys end up on the Cowboys

DMac had an OC that had been there the year before, taken over as head coach for several games, and rallied the team to win a few

Hey SE, Freeze/Malzahn also basically inherited conference championship teams indicating quality talent and depth. Be realistic.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

We're slowly rebuilding a program from literally NOTHING to attempt to create a sustainable and respectable program.

lit·er·al·ly

[lit-er-uh-lee]

adverb

in the literal or strict sense: What does the word mean literally?

in a literal manner; word for word: to translate literally.

actually; without exaggeration or inaccuracy: The city was literally destroyed.

in effect; in substance; very nearly; virtually.

Literally nothing? So Mac didn't have any players on the team when he took over? I hate this argument and it is very disrespectful to the current players on this team. Orr, Chancellor, and Boutwell at the least are good players here before Mac. Dunbar may also disagree about having literally nothing on the team when Mac took over. Our offensive line seems to be pretty good and wasn't completely recruited by Mac. We don't seem to have the depth of other teams, but I can also look at some of the play calling and wonder why we do some of the things we do. This team is not yet ready, but we need to expect more than what we are getting.

Edited by forevereagle
  • Upvote 2

I was trying to think during the game where Freeze came from before he was the head coach...who was the head coach when he was the OC? Where did that coach go?