(Exhib) East Central University (11/1/12)

CMJ

we were camped out right behind the bench. Wanted to get as close to Benford as possible to see and hear how he runs a game.

I was too. Same motivation as our season tickets are a few rows back but since it was open seating, we thought we might as well sit front row. My friends had the little girl who was obsessed with Scrappy if you noticed.

Saying that, I was really impressed with how Coach Benford ran the game, talked to his players, and really emphasized playing smart. What has always bothered me watching Tony Mitchell, the mopy attitude he seems to carry after a play doesn't go his way. Whether it's a foul, goaltend, whatever, he gets way too upset and needs to focus on the next play. When he threw the ball off Roger's head last night resulting in a turnover, he started huffing and puffing his way down the court. Coach Benford was not having it as he was yelling "Tony! TONY!!!" as if to say, 'get your head in the game'. Lotta love for Coach Jones, but never saw him approach this problem Tony has. T-Mitch said one of the reasons he came back was he needed to mature on and off the court. If he can stop getting upset so easily, it would accomplish the on-court part of the equation. I think Coach Benford will help him immensely in doing so.

I was also looking forward to seeing the big man play, and could not understand why he did not until this morning. Did like that Coach Benford broke some things down with him, explained situations, and what he wants from him in those situations. Saw the word "doghouse" thrown around, but definitely was not the case. I could understand that impression if you were not there and just heard he was not in the game, but Coach really gave him a lot of attention and reassuring gestures.

I noticed that we had a larger margin of victory than #1 Indiana & #3 Kentucky did in their exhibitions.

For those with season tickets but were unable to make it, they are awesome. Actually professional looking with logos and whatnot. Much better than is year's past. I hung around for autographs afterwards since it will only get more crowded as the season goes on.

Don't worry too much about the offensive rebounds, it's gonna happen when you miss as many shots as they did. More than once, they would get a few of the time in one possession just because they couldn't put it in and it kept bouncing right back into their hands.

One final thought, Niko has really improved his game. Really liked what I saw from him on both ends.

• Upvote 2

I think I witnessed more effort on defense in that one exhibition game last night than I did in all games combined last year. This may just be something special we will all have the privilege to watch this season...bring it on!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

For those with season tickets but were unable to make it, they are awesome. Actually professional looking with logos and whatnot. Much better than is year's past. I hung around for autographs afterwards since it will only get more crowded as the season goes on.

Do you have a pic of the nice tickets with logos?

• Upvote 1

They announced 3000+ for attendance.

Excellent...many of us can recall not too long ago when that would be a GREAT crowd for a regular season game! It's going to be special folks...get your tickets and your popcorn ready!

Edited by KRAM1

But there was not anyone at the gates, how would they know a number?

Estimating crowd size is pretty common in such circumstances. Those of us who have been attending these games since....well, for a very long time....have a decent feel for crowd size. So, I figure those that report such do as well.

Estimating crowd size is pretty common in such circumstances. Those of us who have been attending these games since....well, for a very long time....have a decent feel for crowd size. So, I figure those that report such do as well.

Well, I wouldn't want to question those of you that have such a good feel for the numbers, but it sure seemed to be less than half of the lower bowl to my eyes and there can't be more than around 4,000 seats in the lower bowl. No, matter though. I like the sound of the higher number.

Team looked great, but IMO they will need a big man to help out in the middle to handle the better teams. I hope everything works out with Coleman. Looking forward to the season.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Well, I wouldn't want to question those of you that have such a good feel for the numbers, but it sure seemed to be less than half of the lower bowl to my eyes and there can't be more than around 4,000 seats in the lower bowl. No, matter though. I like the sound of the higher number.

Team looked great, but IMO they will need a big man to help out in the middle to handle the better teams. I hope everything works out with Coleman. Looking forward to the season.

There are more than 4,000 seats in the lower bowl. The place seats 10,000 and I know there aren't 6,000 seats in the upper section.

• Upvote 2

Creighton goes 7', 6'11", 6'9", and 6'8". Not all at once of course, but we could see two of those big guys to go with the 6'8" Mcdermott on the court at the same time. Coleman is much more than a little bit important.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Creighton goes 7', 6'11", 6'9", and 6'8". Not all at once of course, but we could see two of those big guys to go with the 6'8" Mcdermott on the court at the same time. Coleman is much more than a little bit important.

If McDermott is playing the three I sure wish we had Justin Patton. If he truly is our best defender as Coach Benford says then we could really use him against one of the nations best inside-outside scorers.

Everyone is talking about the T-Mitch vs McDermott showdown but I wouldn't be surprised to see more of a J-Will vs McDermott matchup all night. J-Will has pretty impressive quickness and athleticism, the two skills that are keeping McDermott from being a lottery pick right now.

I definitely can't wait for this game. Football is going to have to hold me over until then.

There are more than 4,000 seats in the lower bowl. The place seats 10,000 and I know there aren't 6,000 seats in the upper section.

You're probably right, but I noticed there are 24 sections in the lower bowl and 32 sections in the upper bowl. Not sure how many seats are in each of the upper bowl sections, but the average size section in the lower bowl seemed about 150-175 seats based on my count the other night. I actually made an honest attempt to count the crowd the other night during yet another 'official' time out.

No worries though. Can't wait for the real games to start.

GMG

Edited by CurveItAround