One thought I had regarding Osborn

Harry

We constantly are being told the reason why Brent never gets to play in games is because he is evaluated in practice does not perform as well as DT. That may be the case but could there not be the chance that he is a better game performer and not a good player in practice? How are we to know that when he never gets that chance? When your QB comes right out of the gate and throws an INT to start the game I think you have to wonder if he may have an off night. It sounds like McNulty is redshirting this season so I can understand that they don't want to use him. My point is if things aren't going well, mix it up do something different. GMG

Herman Edwards, then the coach of the Jets, said a change had to be made when his offense was struggling. You can't replace all 11 players, so you go for the one position that has the biggest impact -- QB. A young Chad Pennington came in and the Jets became a winning team for several seasons with him at the helm...

• Upvote 1

I predicted a 5-7 record at the beginning of the season. While I don't think I'll end up very far from right on the money, I'll already mark this year down as a disappointment. My prediction was for an undermanned team pulling out all the stops imaginable to keep itself in games. That's not what we're being presented with. Unless the other team shoots itself in the foot, we're not competitive.

Edited by Green P1
  • Upvote 2

Folks...I would say that there might just be more here than the "public" knows about this situation. And, I am in NO WAY talking about anything illegal nor academic. From what I can tell Brent is a good student and a good guy...I can also say that he has a super and very support Mom and Dad. These parents drive...DRIVE from Alabama to support Brent and the team whether he plays or not...I talked with them in Nashville just this last weekend for the MT game. For me, I wish nothing but the best for Brent going forward and I hope he gets in a grad school program he likes and plays for another team (and one closer to home) next season. I thank Brent for his hard work and contributions to the Mean green. many players in his position would have become nothing but a big distraction to the team once they found they were not playing...not Brent. Fair sails and following winds, Brent. All the best to you and your family.

EDIT: Thanks Grant...fixed that one!

Edited by KRAM1
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

And, I am in NO WAY talking about anything illegal nor academic. From what I can tell Brent is a good student and a goo guy

if you like him so much then why are you calling him goo?!?!?! That's not very nice Kram. ;)

• Upvote 1

I'm sorry but I think the whole "who know's what he can do till he plays in a game" argument is bologna. That's what practice is for. They have scrimmages and other game like scenarios during practice, live drill, 11 on 11, whatever. If you want to see the field then earn it. Play like you would during a game in practice.

Maybe the 5th string Left Tackle is a "gamer" but how are we going to know when he never gets the shot.

"Practice does not make perfect. Only perfect practice makes perfect" - Vince Lombardi

Edited by H-towngreen
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 5

It's not bologna. Many players play much better in practice than they do in games. Some players play better in games than they do in practice. People actually study and do research on these performance issues - it's called sports psychology or performance psychology.

So..tell me how we are to weed out those players who practice bad but play in games better? Once again, should we give the 5th string LT a couple series to see what he can do? How about a freshman CB getting to play an entire game to see how he looks in live action?

THIS IS WHAT PRACTICE IS FOR!!! THIS IS WHY THEY HAVE SCRIMMAGES IN THE SPRING AND FALL!!!! TO SIMULATE GAMES!!! They go 11 on 11 every week. You know what that is??? IT'S A GAME!!!

If you are a "gamer" then you should be able to "step it up" during a scrimmage. If the staff felt that Osborn was good enough to put in then they would. Please explain to me why Mac would keep Osborn off the field if he was the more viable option?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

So..tell me how we are to weed out those players who practice bad but play in games better? Once again, should we give the 5th string LT a couple series to see what he can do? How about a freshman CB getting to play an entire game to see how he looks in live action?

THIS IS WHAT PRACTICE IS FOR!!! THIS IS WHY THEY HAVE SCRIMMAGES IN THE SPRING AND FALL!!!! TO SIMULATE GAMES!!! They go 11 on 11 every week. You know what that is??? IT'S A GAME!!!

If you are a "gamer" then you should be able to "step it up" during a scrimmage. If the staff felt that Osborn was good enough to put in then they would. Please explain to me why Mac would keep Osborn off the field if he was the more viable option?

The Cowboys had a star on their roster in DeMarco Murray last year... They didn't even know it until Felix got hurt. It happens all of the time, I don't understand why this is such a mystery to you. If the #1 is not doing well and costing your team games... what is the harm in giving him a shot? Especially at the tail end of games that are already way out of hand. Makes no sense whatsoever.

First of all, there is no such thing as a 5th string Left Tackle. Second, you're right about the evaluation process but it only works to a certain degree. Coaches try to simulate game like situations as best they can.

One thing I've noticed about sports is that the longer a player has been on the team, the more comfortable they are in practice and the better they are able to handle the pressures of practice, much like how a 3-year starter is better able to handle the pressures of a game than a sophomore getting his first start.

I don't know how DT does in practice and I'm not saying Osborn is nervous every practice, but DT is in his fourth year on campus so he is able to handle practices pretty well, presumably. But I, and most people, have no idea what he has done in practice to warrant an endless string before being pulled or what Osborn has done to be never given a chance. It sure as heck hasn't been has performance on the field over the past two years or his natural ability, because he has not improved in games, when it matters, and frankly has a slow release and a weak arm.

DT seems like a great guy and pretty smart. No one is bashing him as a person or student. We just there is a chance that Osborn could do more for us if given the opportunities that DT has been given in games. We could be wrong and Osborn could be worse, as he is apparently in practice, but the risk seems worth running at this point in the season.

We constantly are being told the reason why Brent never gets to play in games is because he is evaluated in practice does not perform as well as DT. That may be the case but could there not be the chance that he is a better game performer and not a good player in practice? How are we to know that when he never gets that chance? When your QB comes right out of the gate and throws an INT to start the game I think you have to wonder if he may have an off night. It sounds like McNulty is redshirting this season so I can understand that they don't want to use him. My point is if things aren't going well, mix it up do something different. GMG

Professional coaches aren't there to MIX it up. They're trying to win games, and you don't win a lot of games playing herky-jerk with a QB because he throws an INT. Amidst all this talk about our QB, I've yet to see anyone talk about bringing in a backup. Tackle after the first time DT got sacked, or putting in backup DBs after every 40-yd completion we give up, or backup Defensive Linemen after every play where they fail to get a push. For some reason, people think putting in another QB with as many or more of the same deficiencies as DT is going to be a miracle cure that saves an offense devoid of playmakers and inspires a lackluster defense.

You won't win games and you certainly won't win a locker room. DT is in because Mac believes he's a superior player that gives him a better chance to win. If you can't make all the reads and throws and impress the coaches in Spring, Summer, and Fall practices, then you don't deserve to be there at game time. Players know that. Coaches know that. There's no bigger indictment on our recruiting at the position of QB than the fact that nobody has managed to unseat DT. The door has been wide open.

If you believe that the coaches haven't given Osborne a fair shake, or that Osborne is a better QB than DT, then you should be calling for the coaches' heads because they can't evaluate talent.

• Upvote 3

So for Lin has had a couple of seasons of anonymity and one incredible streak of a few weeks. Time will tell whether if the man was keeping him down, or if he just had a great few weeks that made him rich and will go back to what he was before.

Ozzy only has a couple more weeks in his career... one incredible streak would be acceptable.

On 10/30/2012 at 4:41 PM, H-towngreen said:

Scrimmages and practice are not equivalent to games. Skladany is not going to send Hilbert on a blitz to blow up DT like he did Mettenberger. They are going to do their best not to hurt their qb while in practice. I never played college ball but I know in HS there were times where linemen going up against each other wouldn't go full speed even if the coaches thought we were.

Coaches routinely pull players who screw up whether it be giving up consecutive sacks, committing multiple penalties, or fumbling the ball too many times. The quarterback is the only skill position player that touches the ball every single offensive play (other than trick plays). He is the field general and has slightly more impact on the success of the offense than a tackle. He distributes the ball on nearly every play. He has to make clear decisions, clean handoffs, and strong, accurate passes.

I'd compare our situation to the one here in Austin.

David Ash=Derek Thompson

Case McCoy=Brent Osborn

Mack Brown=Coach Mac

They have had their practice battles and Ash has consistently come out on top but in the Kansas game McCoy had to bail Texas' ass out of a potentially embarrassing loss. He also came in at the end of the OU game and made it look a lot closer than it was. For whatever reason, despite playing better in the games, McCoy is relegated to the bench in favor of pretty surfer boy Ash.

Osborn showed a lot of promise the few games he's been given the opportunity. He did well against Tulsa when given the shot last year and even moved the ball on Alabama before they took him out for Andrew McCarney McNulty.

Edited by Cr1028
Thanks Adler
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Just like how funny it'll be when UH goes to the Big Least and gets lit up every week.

Anyway, I'd be happy for him. We royally screwed him over.

Not gonna happen. We're dominating C-USA despite most of our starters being Freshmen and Sophomores. If Osborn was the Starter, UNT would probably be in the running for a Sun Belt Title.

You and GLTG shoud start your own UNT-envy website.

What is there to be envious of?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1