One thought I had regarding Osborn

Harry

No, mid to late 90s. We averaged 50k when Ware and Klingler were under center. The crowds went away after Klingler graduated and we started sucking.

Exactly my point. Houston is a bandwagon team except the Texans. You averaged 6-15K for about half your existence. Your best years were 30K in a half empty Dome in the 70s. You've never sniffed that ever again. Nice try.

Ours is pretty consistently in the 17K range. Despite terribad football, a hardcore group shows up no matter what. Not at UH.

Edited by meangreener

No, mid to late 90s. We averaged 50k when Ware and Klingler were under center. The crowds went away after Klingler graduated and we started sucking.

Actually you are a giant liar. UH has never averaged 50k. During the years you speak of UH averaged about 27k, And in the last couple years of the SWC much less.

Edited by glick1980
  • Upvote 1

Other than Smoo, all of our C-USA opponents were blown out by halftime.

Dominating - to everyone else in the sports world - means you are indisputably the best, week in and out.

Were you indisputably the best when you lost to a team that lost to Tulane?

Did you become the indisputable king of CUSA style points?

Are you disputing that there are not 4 other teams in your conference that share/better your current record?

If you want to brag about being a position to win the West and thus win a championship, have at it. But don't use the word domination. I wouldn't even use the word myself to describe our Belt run in the early 2000's. The amazing that about that run is how we managed to squeak out so many close games week after week.

Edited by greenminer

Enough with the Houston crap. On the subject at hand: The one thing people are leaving out is that it makes no sense to never give, at least, garbage time reps to the backup QB when your starting QB has NEVER completed a full season of Div1A football without missing games to injury.

If the point of keeping DT in longer is to get him more game-time experience, what the hell are we going to do if he ever gets hurt??

Actually you are a giant liar. UH has never averaged 50k. During the years you speak of UH averaged about 27k, And in the last couple years of the SWC much less.

That 27k has got to be ridiculously inflated. A next door neighbor of mine had UH season tickets during that time period, and since he was always looking for someone to go with him, he took me to a couple of dozen Cougar games in the Dome. Unless they were playing someone like UT, A&M, or TT, there couldn't have been more than 5k at many of those games. I doubt they made enough in gate receipts to pay for the air conditioning.

• Upvote 1

Adding onto this, not only is the same company that built Apogee is building our stadium, but it will be around 45-50k and approximately $100 million more expensive.

So you will be wasting money and throwing in an extra 15-20k seats that will sit empty. Good logic.

Here's an idea. How about you and meangreener utilize the PM function on this board.

Back on topic, good luck to Brent Osborn. I was excited when we signed him and sorry he really never got a shot.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 4

So..tell me how we are to weed out those players who practice bad but play in games better? Once again, should we give the 5th string LT a couple series to see what he can do? How about a freshman CB getting to play an entire game to see how he looks in live action?

THIS IS WHAT PRACTICE IS FOR!!! THIS IS WHY THEY HAVE SCRIMMAGES IN THE SPRING AND FALL!!!! TO SIMULATE GAMES!!! They go 11 on 11 every week. You know what that is??? IT'S A GAME!!!

If you are a "gamer" then you should be able to "step it up" during a scrimmage. If the staff felt that Osborn was good enough to put in then they would. Please explain to me why Mac would keep Osborn off the field if he was the more viable option?

Back on topic now. Was this one derailed by Cougar Queen or what? Anyway, of course practice is the best way to evaluate outside of a real game. You would think a "gamer" would step it up in practice but sometimes that just isn't the case. I think the staff plays DT because they think he is the best option at QB. What Harry said is legitimate and the reason you give him a chance is because play at that position has been poor and you want to try anything reasonable to improve the position.

It could be Osborn performs so poorly in practice that there is no way in Hades the staff plays him on purpose. He did play some last year late in games when we were clearly out of it. He played well but maybe it was because the opposition put in their developing players - I just don't know.

Maybe he just plays better in games - I just don't know that either.

Based on what I saw - I think it's worth a shot.

• Upvote 2

Back on topic now. Was this one derailed by Cougar Queen or what? Anyway, of course practice is the best way to evaluate outside of a real game. You would think a "gamer" would step it up in practice but sometimes that just isn't the case. I think the staff plays DT because they think he is the best option at QB. What Harry said is legitimate and the reason you give him a chance is because play at that position has been poor and you want to try anything reasonable to improve the position.

It could

be Osborn performs so poorly in practice that there is no way in Hades the staff plays him on purpose. He did play some last year late in games when we were clearly out of it. He played well but maybe it was because the opposition put in their developing players - I just don't know.

Maybe he just plays better in games - I just don't know that either.

Based on what I saw - I think it's worth a shot.

Exactly, and considering the way that the QB position was handled last season, it does make one think. But to tell ya the truth, my main gripe is that we are making zero effort to groom our second team guy for duty in case of injury. It just makes no sense to me at all. A series or two in the LSU, TSU, or Middle games would have done no harm.