Cougar King's postgame thoughts

Cougar King

In all seriousness though, I think the Oilers rank at the top of my "uniforms all of us hated as kids but now realize were cool" list. When my Spring Valley Athletic Association U13 team got to pick which team we'd be (got cool replica helmets and all, it was big), we were given the Oilers or Broncos. We were the last team to pick. We went unanimously Broncos (the blue helmet with the Bronco jumping in the "D"), because no kid I knew thought the Oiler uniform was any good. I think it was because of the light blue or something... this was the early 90's, when everyone I knew was into black/teal/red trim, things like that.. (look at what the Falcons did at this time and every expansion team anywhere). Looking back now, the Oiler uni (especially the helmet) were pretty great. I miss that helmet. Look at how the Chargers' powder blues are revered now, while they couldn't WAIT to ditch them way back when. Cyclical, I guess. I feel like the Oilers look is way more timeless and classic than the Texans (or any new-ish franchise these days), but I'm sure that just reflects my age. Time will tell.

Also, speaking of Houston and uniforms, I know it's controversial, but I wish the Astros would bring back terrible rainbow t-shirt jerseys for the move to the AL. I get that they're legendary for mostly the wrong reason, and you can't scream a time period more than those scream 70s-80s, but I love 'em. Throwback games this year were awesome.

It's been real.

It doesn't have to be over yet.

I have SO MANY OPINIONS! Who wants to bow up with me about them? Oh, I know... YOUR MOMS DO. Boom. I win this internet. Check me out over here.

You all suck. I can't believe how dumb and pathetic you all are. The only way I could care less about your dumb pathetic lives would be if I didn't refresh the page every 15 seconds to share some of my passionate, awesome opinions and remind everyone about how little I care about any of this.

I HAVE SO MANY MF'in OPINIONS, EVERYBODY!!! Check me out over here!! LOOK AT ME AND MY OPINIONS, IDIOTS!

I have SO MANY OPINIONS! Who wants to bow up with me about them? Oh, I know... YOUR MOMS DO. Boom. I win this internet. Check me out over here.

You all suck. I can't believe how dumb and pathetic you all are. The only way I could care less about your dumb pathetic lives would be if I didn't refresh the page every 15 seconds to share some of my passionate, awesome opinions and remind everyone about how little I care about any of this.

I HAVE SO MANY MF'in OPINIONS, EVERYBODY!!! Check me out over here!! LOOK AT ME AND MY OPINIONS, IDIOTS!

You sound like you're obsessed or something. Expellerimus?

Talk like that might get you banned from ClevelandBrownsFanzz.com, sir.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

More than one discussion can happen at the same time, man. It's not that hard. Yeah, UNT got beat. I never predicted otherwise, and don't see how anyone could have done so, to be honest. I'm having internet back and forth with another UNT fan (meangreener/rjmunthe) who claimed Houston > Dallas as a sports town. That's all. I know, though... the internet is HARD!

I actually never said that Houston was a better sports town. A better town, sure. But I was replying to KRAM, who was ragging on Houston as a whole like a good D/FW citizen. Dallas is FAR more successful when it comes to sports, at least historically. Right now Houston sports is a little better, but that doesn't make Houston a better sports town. I seriously question myself as to why I returned to D/FW. Arrogance here is just ridiculous.

Edited by meangreener

Pretty much.

When you google "Best Sports Cities in America", the very first result is The Sporting News, who ranks Dallas at #1. Houston? Scroll down a bit (a good bit) to #24. http://aol.sportingnews.com/sport/story/2011-10-04/best-sports-cities-the-list-from-1-to-271

This spare Fox Sports blog has Dallas Top Ten, Houston unranked: http://tshq.co/2011/03/the-ten-best-professional-sports-cities-in-america/

Even freaking Coldwell Banker, trying to help people relocate and buy a house, ranks Dallas top 5 (Houston unranked): http://blog.coldwellbanker.com/best-sports-cities-in-america/

But fine... as the inferiority complex of our resident Houstonian message board pariah dictates, all these lists will somehow be dismissed. We'll choose to ignore the fact that every single list anywhere (and any sane impartial sports fan without a dog in the hunt) would agree that Dallas is, quite simply, operating on an entirely different level as Houston as a sports town. It's essentially common knowledge, but forget all that. Let's go sport by sport in this Georgia Tech vs. Cumberland College level blowout, shall we?

Football - not. even. close. Yay, the cute little Texans are 4-0! Hoorah! One playoff win in their history (Bengals??) compared to the five Super Bowls up I-45, where, you know, the most valuable professional sports franchise in the freaking United States plays. The fact remains that J.P. LaDouceur taking a dump in a helmet (beneath the 21 division championship banners) would essentially double the ratings of a Texans playoff game.

As if this comparison isn't already absurd enough, let's plan on the "HISTORY, VALUE, AND RELEVANCE DOESN'T MATTER!!11!" rebuttal on the way, shall we? Okay. In the last ten years, the barely-on-the-radar franchise down in Houston is 68-95. The Cowboys, mired in their worst decade in franchise history, are 86-72. Okay fine.. "BUT..BUT.. WE WERE AN EXPANSION TEAM AT FIRST!!!11!!". Sure thing. How about the last five years? Just the past five years!! Houston is 41-39... the terrible, irrelevant Cowboys? 47-30. Quite simply, there's not a metric on earth that even begins to joke that these two franchises are on the same level... they've barely played the same sport.

But hey, Houston is a great football town. I mean, it wasn't unprecedented or humiliating at all when the "Save the Oilers" rally drew less fans than an average Monday morning CLASS at UNT. http://www.thefreemanonline.org/features/the-nfl-oilers-a-case-study-in-corporate-welfare/

The Astros... Well, The Astros. That kind of sums it up right there. I feel for the Astros. It's really just comedy at this point, but it's kinda sad. Still, if you want a good laugh, this can burn hours: http://deadspin.com/houston-astros/

The Rockets DO have those two titles... basically the only statistical advantage anywhere in this list... yes, it's a good thing Jordan retired. I really pulled for those Rockets teams back in the day, actually. Fact of the matter is, the Mavericks have established themselves as an elite franchise in the NBA over more than a decade now, while the Rockets have fallen into complete obscurity. The last season the Rockets advanced further than the Mavs was in 1998-99. FOURTEEN YEARS AGO. Even with the TERRIBLE Maverick teams of the 90's factored in, the teams have win percentages within .005 of one another. Balanced against recent performance, national relevance, and the fact that the Mavericks have outdrawn the Rockets by an average of 3-4k for the past decade (as well as the fact that Mavericks rank in the top 5 in merchandise sold over the past decade) make this a pretty clear cut case of Dallas having the better franchise by almost every single metric.

Dallas has a NHL franchise (with a Stanley Cup). Say whatever else you want about it, but there's no franchise in Houston. Dallas is one of those elite cities with all four major sports franchises. Houston isn't. End of story on that one.

It could be worse, Houston. You're probably a better sports town than a few other cities. Tampa, maybe. There's one. But don't bother sniffing around big brother to the north. This is an entirely different sport we're playing up here. It's like Altuve trying to post up Dirk.

We got our ass whooped. Take it like a man and move on. At least it was not the 77-20 humiliation the last time the Green came to town. (that game left scars)

Trying to win the battle of the cities as some sort of consultation prize makes you look pathetic. Not to mention pissing off everyone on this board that calls Houston home and loves it...... just sayin

• Upvote 1

We got our ass whooped. Take it like a man and move on. At least it was not the 77-20 humiliation the last time the Green came to town. (that game left scars)

Trying to win the battle of the cities as some sort of consultation prize makes you look pathetic. Not to mention pissing off everyone on this board that calls Houston home and loves it...... just sayin

Exactly. I've tried to calm down on here and be a nice, contributing member but seriously I just think it's so ridiculous that people on here and in DFW think it necessarily to slam Houston whenever they get a chance. And I will defend my town. We got beat up bad and that's no reason to rip the crap out of Houston.

Edited by meangreener

I don't see what's so hard about eating your crow and moving on. I clearly said in my OP that I was going to let bygones be bygones. On top of which I obviously expected people on here to do the same. Though, I do see a good handful of people take the loss like a good sport and move on. A lot of you on here can learn from these individuals. UNT got hammered, it was a fun week. The focus is now on dropping 40+ on UAB. You guys have a game coming up this Saturday? Or do you guys have a bye to prepare for your ESPN game against U-LaLa?

Edited by Cougar King
  • Downvote 1

I don't see what's so hard about eating your crow and moving on. I clearly said in my OP that I was going to let bygones be bygones. On top of which I obviously expected people on here to do the same. Though, I do see a good handful of people take the loss like a good sport and move on. A lot of you on here can learn from these individuals. UNT got hammered, it was a fun week. The focus is now on dropping 40+ on UAB. You guys have a game coming up this Saturday? Or do you guys have a bye to prepare for your ESPN game against U-LaLa?

Did I read you couldn't even cut it as a walk on at UNT?

I actually never said that Houston was a better sports town. A better town, sure. But I was replying to KRAM, who was ragging on Houston as a whole like a good D/FW citizen. Dallas is FAR more successful when it comes to sports, at least historically. Right now Houston sports is a little better, but that doesn't make Houston a better sports town. I seriously question myself as to why I returned to D/FW. Arrogance here is just ridiculous.

Houston is a better sports town if you count drive by shootings as a sport, as I do !!

I love how the two UH pricks gloat on their win, bring up DFW being elitist and racist and then blame us for defending where we live. I've lived in both and they both have positives and negatives, Houston has its share of d-bags, evidence would be Cougar King (his own fans disown him) and meangreener, as does Dallas.

You two morons spout your "facts," we disprove them and then you move on to something else. First it was how hostile "The Rob" is with it being one of the toughest places to play anywhere. Then it was all of the 5 and 4 star kids lined up to play there, roughly 8 four stars and zero five stars in the last ten years, Tier 1 status that you haven't been granted, etc... Should I go on? Take your weak smack and move along.

Sadly, or thankfully, I know a lot of UH alums that are great people. I now know why they don't want you posting on their site. You are an embarrassment to yourself and Houston.

• Upvote 1