Apogee v Fouts

H-towngreen

It will be interesting. With things being equal like performance on the field, weather, etc. I think we see a significant bump - like 20%. We have already seen that Rice and Tulsa bring a decent contingiet to Fouts and the interest of locals gets piqued. An attendance of 21K against conference foe Troy would probably be 25K against conference foe Tulsa.

At that point the stadium has a more "packed" feel and the experience is more enjoyable and increases the chances of folks coming back.

I think a North Texas/Tulsa matchup in a game that actually mattered would push capacity.

I agree with you the only beef I have is that the tailgating while awesome at Apogee is not as centralized as at Fouts. There are at least 3-4 separate tailgating localities at Apogee (Fouts, Dirt Lot West, The Hill and North South side...?) I walked around the entire stadium last game and was amazed at how many were in each section. It would be nice to have everyone in one section (The Hill) but I don't know if that's logistically possible because because people tailgate close to their cars/trucks..

I agree with you the only beef I have is that the tailgating while awesome at Apogee is not as centralized as at Fouts. There are at least 3-4 separate tailgating localities at Apogee (Fouts, Dirt Lot West, The Hill and North South side...?) I walked around the entire stadium last game and was amazed at how many were in each section. It would be nice to have everyone in one section (The Hill) but I don't know if that's logistically possible because because people tailgate close to their cars/trucks..

Think of it as a colonization project.

Denia is next; then, the world.

• Upvote 4

Judging by today's Ranger game North Texas won't be facing any post season competition for the Rangers this year.

The only thing I didn't really agree with about the story was the line about Texas Southern. If 22K show up for a game against a FCS (not Div 2) school shouldn't that signal that attendance will be up this year. In theory that would be our lowest attendance game of the year. I guess the writer was predicting a big drop off like last year from the opener but I think that's apples and oranges.

UH averaged 12k a season a few times in CUSA

Nobody gave a crap about UH football in the late 90s, early 2000s. We're talking about recent stuff. ECU leads the Conference with 50k per game. UCF gets about 45k when they're doing well. We have gotten 32k so far the last 3 seasons. UTEP gets about 30k when they're doing moderately well, same goes for Southern Miss. Then, there's everybody else whose numbers are comparable to the Sunbelt schools.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

UH averaged 12k a season a few times in CUSA

I challenge you to name ONE season, much less a "few times", that UH averaged 12k in CUSA. I'll help you. You won't find a season like that. The lowest was 14,986 in 2002 when we went 5-7 after a season of going 0-11. 2002 attendance was a message to UH brass that the coach needed to go after a record of 8-26 over 3 years. Heck, in 2001 when we went 0-11, we averaged 19.5K. You can argue the UT game biased that, but even without the UT game, we averaged 17k.

In fact there have been only 4 GAMES since 1996 (when UH join CUSA) under 12k attendance and we've never had more than 1 game in a season under 12k.

If you want to talk smack about UH attendance in the past, at least get the facts right.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I challenge you to name ONE season, much less a "few times", that UH averaged 12k in CUSA. I'll help you. You won't find a season like that. The lowest was 14,986 in 2002 when we went 5-7 after a season of going 0-11. 2002 attendance was a message to UH brass that the coach needed to go after a record of 8-26 over 3 years. Heck, in 2001 when we went 0-11, we averaged 19.5K. You can argue the UT game biased that, but even without the UT game, we averaged 17k.

In fact there have been only 4 GAMES since 1996 (when UH join CUSA) under 12k attendance and we've never had more than 1 game in a season under 12k.

If you want to talk smack about UH attendance in the past, at least get the facts right.

Adding on to this, you guys say we wouldn't sell out our stadium with a losing season. Yet, I mentioned 2010 where we went 5-7 with Piland starting and STILL sold out our stadium averaging 31k. UNT can't talk smack about anybody's attendance when they can't even bring 25k to a game. I remember sitting in the stands and the students around me getting updates on the Whorns game as opposed to watching their own school play.

Let me go ahead and list all of your excuses for low attendance; Not winning, competing with the Rangers, Cowboys, Mavs, TCU, SMU, too many things to do in DFW, do I need to continue? I honestly don't think you guys would want me to, since UH is also in a pro sports city filled with many other things to do, yet we still sell out our stadium.

Edited by Cougar King

Well, if nobody gives a crap about UH football, yet we still sell out our stadium, get College Gameday to come to our campus to showcase our game and get people to pay 300 bucks for a game ticket. Then I hate to see what people think about UNT football...

Gameday was there because of SMU. Just Craig James using his pull at ESPN

• Upvote 2

I, for one, do not give a crap about Houston football. I appreciate the dude coming on here and trying to be social like the therapist recommended. I mean, it shows real progress. Seriously though -- how much charity can one board provide?

Re: the article,

Methinks Brett Medeiros has been reading about being edgy and taking controversial stands. Good on him. Eff a Fouts. It was and is terrible. Not worthy of a University that aims to pursue FBS athletics. It hurts a few kid's pocketbooks, sure. These are the breaks. Welcome to LIFE: it is a bitch.

Can't wait until he takes Advanced Investigative Journalism, where the reporting can really change (into something less eye-roll inducing).

• Upvote 3

Going the flavor-of-the-week route ? Can't blame you, looking at professional sports history is rather dismal for the Houstonians. At least they have the two NBA trophies from when Michael Jordan was serving his gambling suspension "playing baseball".

The Texans are only the best team in football as of the very moment. Period. They will get their SB trophy this year, too.

It's funny how the Texans were winning consistently last year too and the Rockets began their season yet we were still putting butts in seats. Not once did we ever complain about things being "too hard" or the city being "filled with many other things to do". UNT whines and says there is no other way, UH dusts themselves off and makes their own way.

Edited by Cougar King
  • Downvote 1