SMU is beating the football team on and off the field

On a warm September night at Apogee Stadium, an offense led by then-junior quarterback Mason Fine put up 46 points for North Texas compared to Southern Methodist University’s 26. The aforementioned game was in 2018 and it is the last time North Texas had a significant triumph versus SMU on or off the field.

Starting with its on-field performance, football has not found a way to make the annual Safeway Bowl close in the last two years, losing 49-27 in 2019 and 65-35 in 2020 — the latter of which was on the Mean Green’s home turf. Giving up a combined 114 points in the last two contests, North Texas’ defense has failed in stopping the likes of sophomore running back Ulysses Bentley IV who posted 19 carries for 227 yards and three touchdowns in 2020. It was the same story in 2019 when former SMU running back Xavier Jones tallied 16 carries for 127 yards and three touchdowns. 

To make matters worse, however, the damage is not just being done on the ground. The Mean Green were likely ecstatic to see former SMU quarterback Shane Buechele enter the NFL draft this year. In two career games against North Texas, Buechele threw for a combined 636 yards and seven touchdowns while dismantling the Mean Green defense. The lone standout performer for North Texas in either game was former running back Tre Siggers who in 2019 rushed for 164 yards and a touchdown versus SMU. This offseason, Siggers joined the Mustangs via the transfer portal.

Read more:  https://www.ntdaily.com/column-smu-is-beating-the-football-team-on-and-off-the-field/

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 4

16 hours ago, Coach Andy Mac said:

On a warm September night at Apogee Stadium, an offense led by then-junior quarterback Mason Fine put up 46 points for North Texas compared to Southern Methodist University’s 26. The aforementioned game was in 2018 and it is the last time North Texas had a significant triumph versus SMU on or off the field.

Starting with its on-field performance, football has not found a way to make the annual Safeway Bowl close in the last two years, losing 49-27 in 2019 and 65-35 in 2020 — the latter of which was on the Mean Green’s home turf. Giving up a combined 114 points in the last two contests, North Texas’ defense has failed in stopping the likes of sophomore running back Ulysses Bentley IV who posted 19 carries for 227 yards and three touchdowns in 2020. It was the same story in 2019 when former SMU running back Xavier Jones tallied 16 carries for 127 yards and three touchdowns. 

To make matters worse, however, the damage is not just being done on the ground. The Mean Green were likely ecstatic to see former SMU quarterback Shane Buechele enter the NFL draft this year. In two career games against North Texas, Buechele threw for a combined 636 yards and seven touchdowns while dismantling the Mean Green defense. The lone standout performer for North Texas in either game was former running back Tre Siggers who in 2019 rushed for 164 yards and a touchdown versus SMU. This offseason, Siggers joined the Mustangs via the transfer portal.

Read more:  https://www.ntdaily.com/column-smu-is-beating-the-football-team-on-and-off-the-field/

Siggers was 3’rd on the UNT RB’s depth chart before he jumped ship for $MU.  Most of us still wish for him good luck 🍀 except this September 11’th.

🦅

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tmjerm said:

I love our school of journalism and the rtvf program but as soon as I see NT Daily I stop reading. 

The NT Daily is produced by the school of journalism. Your comment is like saying you love Subway but hate their sandwiches.

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 4
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

On 7/23/2021 at 7:23 PM, rcade said:

The NT Daily is produced by the school of journalism. Your comment is like saying you love Subway but hate their sandwiches.

I also love my kids’ daycare but don’t really think their drawings are great. Both things can be true at the same time.  I do hate Subway’s sandwiches. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/23/2021 at 5:44 PM, tmjerm said:

I love our school of journalism and the rtvf program but as soon as I see NT Daily I stop reading. 

The article was good and accurate.  

A lot of the Daily sports articles are error filled and just poorly written, this was not one of them. 

Though I have been part of the recent flood of comments about SMU, I am now ready to move on to other topics.  You would think SMU is a national sports juggernaut with all the attention we are giving them. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

A lot of the Daily sports articles are error filled and just poorly written, this was not one of them. 

Though I have been part of the recent flood of comments about SMU, I am now ready to move on to other topics.  You would think SMU is a national sports juggernaut with all the attention we are giving them. 

Facts or not, wonder if there are any other schools in the FBS where their school's paper writes articles in support of rivals.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Facts or not, wonder if there are any other schools in the FBS where their school's paper writes articles in support of rivals.

Gee, I don't know, but I am sure SMU student rag is just full of NT articles.  

I must have read the wrong story, because I didn't see any support for SMU; but rather a narrative that NT needs to up their game to compete with the ponies.  

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Gee, I don't know, but I am sure SMU student rag is just full of NT articles.  

I must have read the wrong story, because I didn't see any support for SMU; but rather a narrative that NT needs to up their game to compete with the ponies.  

Plus we need to give them something to write about. I imagine there was a nice article after the 2018 beatdown, but we've done nothing worthy of print since. maybe the Phil hire just because it hits close to home. But on field... Crickets..

(Ok, and the peter pan play)

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, MGWriter said:

So objectively speaking–what is incorrect in this article?

Nothing. Look what SMU has done in the last few years recruiting vs UNT, and the overall success they have had on the field as opposed to us. The truth may hurt but its still the truth. SMU is kicking our butts.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

I was a Daily editor back in the Cretaceous era when Corky Nelson ruled the earth. The paper had a staff who were solid and also ran articles from students taking their first journalism lab class. That made the quality uneven at times but it also helped the latter develop as writers.

Dunno what it's like today but most of the time I see decent sports reporting from the paper when it's shared here.

• Thanks 1

On 7/25/2021 at 6:20 PM, MGWriter said:

So objectively speaking–what is incorrect in this article?

Nothing I’m aware of because I didn’t read it.  Many editorialized takes that were way off base in the past kept me away.  I’d interpret from your username you may be involved with the daily, and my apologies if my comment offended.  

• 2 months later...