Here's the problem with our scheduling

MeanGreenHoops

Looking at our OOC schedule the next 6 years, we already have 2 road games scheduled each of those years, including a money game against a big 5 conference team at their place each of the 6 years. The two home/home series with Army and SMU during most of that time will help, leaving us with the need to schedule a home game for each of the next 6 years or have an unbalanced schedule.

With the new CUSA schedule, we are going to have plenty of recognizable names on our schedule starting next year. I for one would not mind one bit if we schedule an FCS team like SFA, TSU, Sam Houston, Lamar, Houston Baptist, McNeese, etc... over the next several years (one per season) to help balance out the home schedule and provide a probable win. I am hopeful that the CUSA move will eventually allow us to schedule home/home series with name brand programs that we can be competitive in without having to play multiple, lopsided money games and/or FCS teams, but until then it would be nice to come out of OOC play at 3-1 or 2-2 every once in a while.

The big time programs do it, why can't we? I can understand in the past when our schedule was full of names that only diehard fans recognized, and we were trying to distance our selves, but that won't be as much of a problem soon. Does anyone know how much we would likely have to pay to get an FCS team to play a road game without having to return the favor? I am assuming that when we play in a money game we earn in the neighborhood of $750k - $1mm, but not sure how much we would have to pay an FCS school like the ones I mentioned to come to our place. Is it possible that it is a money issue from our standpoint?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

To anyone who doesn't think money games and not scheduling FCS teams has hurt us, this article may prove otherwise.

Mean Green Going for best start since 1994

That's right, it's been nearly 20 years since we started off 2-1. Woohoo!

Has a lot more to do with a lack of commitment by UNT to athletics than it does too tough of a schedule.

Then again, I guess we could just schedule FCS teams for all OOC games, right?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Need to start scheduling a home/home series with now FBS team Texas State.

1) Its a winable game

2) Local recognition in opponent

3) Can schedule the road games in years we play UTSA at home so we would have a game and recruiting presence in central Texas every year

4) Tx State has enough local fans and/or within reasonable distance to provide traveling fans

5) Nice and easy roadtrip for UNT fans

6) We can establish it as a rivalry game with a traveling trophy* (We need to do this with UTSA, RICE, and UTEP as well)

*Call it the Necessary Roughness trophy- a golden armadillo presented to the winners by Sinbad- It's not like he's busy or anything lately :thumbsu:

Edited by Baby Arm!
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Does anyone know how much we would likely have to pay to get an FCS team to play a road game without having to return the favor? I am assuming that when we play in a money game we earn in the neighborhood of $750k - $1mm, but not sure how much we would have to pay an FCS school like the ones I mentioned to come to our place. Is it possible that it is a money issue from our standpoint?

$350k - $500k

are we sure that we are only playing 8 conference games a year when we move to CUSA?

With Conference USA set to have 12 members next season and 14 by 2015, they will likely play an 8-game conference schedule, C-USA commissioner Britton Banowsky told the Charlotte Observer.

http://www.fbschedules.com/2012/06/c-usa-likely-play-8-game-conference-football-schedule/

*Call it the Necessary Roughness trophy- a golden armadillo presented to the winners by Sinbad- It's not like he's busy or anything lately :thumbsu:

Any "Necessary Roughness" trophy should go only to UNT . . . There was no "Texas State" when the movie was made, and SWTSU had absolutely nothing to do with the movie.

Need to start scheduling a home/home series with now FBS team Texas State.

1) Its a winable game

2) Local recognition in opponent

3) Can schedule the road games in years we play UTSA at home so we would have a game and recruiting presence in central Texas every year

4) Tx State has enough local fans and/or within reasonable distance to provide traveling fans

5) Nice and easy roadtrip for UNT fans

6) We can establish it as a rivalry game with a traveling trophy* (We need to do this with UTSA, RICE, and UTEP as well)

I don't care who it is, but we need to have some sort of traveling trophy with somebody. This will keep us playing them every year if they are OOC (like TxSt or UTSA). Even better if we have it against Rice or UTEP.

I'm all in favor of the traveling trophy.

I don't care who it is, but we need to have some sort of traveling trophy with somebody. This will keep us playing them every year if they are OOC (like TxSt or UTSA). Even better if we have it against Rice or UTEP.

Agreed.

It should be Texas State. We've played them (and they've played us) more than we have any other program. There's your built-in tradition.

Any "Necessary Roughness" trophy should go only to UNT . . . There was no "Texas State" when the movie was made, and SWTSU had absolutely nothing to do with the movie.

You're forgetting that the Armadillos played the SWTSU Bobcats in their first game.

• Upvote 2

As much as it pains me, we wwill play UTSA every year because they are in our conference.

If we are going to have a "traveling trophy" (which I really don't care about), it should be with a member of the MWC. We don't need to be extending a hand to the Sun Belt after we leave.

That just the way college football go.

To anyone who doesn't think money games and not scheduling FCS teams has hurt us, this article may prove otherwise.

Mean Green Going for best start since 1994

That's right, it's been nearly 20 years since we started off 2-1. Woohoo!

It will most likely not change saturday.

Edited by GoMeanGreen1999

As much as it pains me, we wwill play UTSA every year because they are in our conference.

If we are going to have a "traveling trophy" (which I really don't care about), it should be with a member of the MWC. We don't need to be extending a hand to the Sun Belt after we leave.

That just the way college football go.

I know that you are still mad about not getting accepted to UTSA but its time we put that behind us now.

I know that you are still mad about not getting accepted to UTSA but its time we put that behind us now.

I know. When they figured out I could spell and do basic math, they told me I was much too smart to attend their little college.

That and the fact that their dorms at the time were rented out Motel 6s (much like their stadium is now) pretty much sealed the deal.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3

What is the admissions criteria at UTSA? Being able to fill out an application?

To be honest, I'd been at UNT for three semesters before I "applied." Then I asked what kind of score they were looking for on the GMAT. 25th percentile. So basically, I could've gone into the test, peed on my shoes, spit on the computer screen, and blown boogers on the keyboard and scored well enough for admission. Admissions criteria is half perception anyways. The real question is what good do degrees from UTSA do?

• Upvote 2