FAU squeaks by Wagner 7-3

Harry

I really don't get you. You don't believe we can beat FCS teams but you want UT to come in to Apogee and beat us by 40. It just does not make sense.

It's pretty simple. I'd rather play a better team, a team everyone thinks is better, a team that our fan base would be excited to play at home, and estatic if we somehow pulled the upset, than play a team that everyone expects us to beat, no one is excited about playing, and won't be very well attended.

And lord forbid we lose THAT game, because that is the only way anyone is talking about the game and it's really something the program can't have happen at this point.

Edited by UNT90
  • Downvote 2

Absolutely. This game really shouldn't be close. Fau sucks and so does Mtsu. Their performance should be no indication of ours.

Just reminding you that we were picked smack dab between those 2 teams and to finish 8th overall in conference by conference coaches.

We all think we are better than that, but there are many question marks. Ask the fan base at MUTS or FAU if they thought those games would end up that way and see what they tell you.

It doesn't help that we play a money game against LSU the week before.

Not trying to be negative, but Texas Southern should concern a lot more of you than it does.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

Just reminding you that we were picked smack dab between those 2 teams and to finish 8th overall in conference by conference coaches.

We all think we are better than that, but there are many question marks. Ask the fan base at MUTS or FAU if they thought those games would end up that way and see what they tell you.

Not trying to be negative, but Texas Southern should concern a lot more of you than it does.

Texas Southern does not concern me in the least. One thing is being cautious and not being over-confident, but another is to hold no trust in the potential of the team. To think we need to be concerned about Texas Southern is really saying that there is no trust in what this team can do. Let's start having slightly higher standards. FAU is awful and MTSU is pretty close, and add that McNeese is significantly better than TSU and I really don't see us having to be concerned about this game. Of course, things can always go wrong in a game, but that's a different issue. The game is a mismatch, much like our first game.

• Upvote 1

It's pretty simple. I'd rather play a better team, a team everyone thinks is better, a team that our fan base would be excited to play at home, and estatic if we somehow pulled the upset, than play a team that everyone expects us to beat, no one is excited about playing, and won't be very well attended.

And lord forbid we lose THAT game, because that is the only way anyone is talking about the game and it's really something the program can't have happen at this point.

You would rather play a team like UT than Texas Southern... If we play UT with 10k more people at one game and go 5-7 with no bowl game. Rather than playing Texas Southern and having a better chance to go 6-6 and go to a bowl game... You would still pick UT, because of attendance?? Sorry but bowl games bring more money than $20k in ticket sales... But if UNT does beat UT, that would be great but the chances are slim. Having a better chance of winning is always better

Edited by Dr. Seuss
  • Upvote 3

Well, Middle and FAU playing each other next week should leave one of them feeling a little better. We think we have it tough, but FAU playing Georgia (6) and Alabama (2) in the following weeks sounds a bit overwhelming, after scoring 7 against the Valkyries or whatever the Wagnerians are called.

I think they are the Wagner Powerpainters. That sounds familiar. Craig Way might agree.

Edited by UNT 90 Grad

You would rather play a team like UT than Texas Southern... If we play UT with 10k more people at one game and go 5-7 with no bowl game. Rather than playing Texas Southern and having a better chance to go 6-6 and go to a bowl game... You would still pick UT, because of attendance?? Sorry but bowl games bring more money than $20k in ticket sales... But if UNT does beat UT, that would be great but the chances are slim. Having a better chance of winning is always better

No, I would pitch UT because a loss to UT would not be program crippling. A loss to TSU would set us back with the casual football fan.

A UT like game would also provide an upside if UNT played them close or actually beat them. There is no upside to playing TSU. Win in front of a small crowd and it's expected. Lose and you have killed attendance for the remainder of the year, hurt recruiting, and have everyone who remotely cares in the metrOplex saying "same ole North Texas."

As.for going go a bowl, we play in the Belt. If you can't win 6 conference games, you really don't deserve to go to a bowl.

Look, I hope we beat TSU by 40 and this is a non issue. God knows Coach Mac can point to MUTS and FAU to make sure the kids take TSU seriously. I just don't think this program is to the point where we can afford the risks that come with playing an FCS team.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

A UT like game would also provide an upside if UNT played them close or actually beat them.

The chances of this team beating a top 25 team is probably 1:100. Our chances of beating TSU is 5:1. You go with the odds. We have played a lot top of 25 teams over the years and have nothing but a paycheck to show for it. Playing a top 25 team close does not get you anything tangible.

Edited by Green Jackal
  • Upvote 3

I don't like NT playing TSU, I had actually rather have them playing a guarantee game away even an LSU. If NT slaughtered TSU as they should what does it matter and who really wants to see it. A loss or even a close victory makes the program look horrible.

A game against an LSU that no ones expects NT to be remotely close, at least should fire up the team and even a big loss is not a big deal. I though one of NT's best games last year was against Alabama. The money is also nice.

I had rather not be playing a top 5 team away beginning every year, but I don't think playing fc schools does anything but balance a home schedule with a very unattractive game.

• Upvote 1