Rangers lose wildcard game

So, we're coming down on 30 games left in the MLB season, with 5 playoff spots each up for grabs. I like this second wild card- gives hope to once moribound teams in Baltimore and Pittsburgh (who is only 2 games back). Obviously the Rangers arent affected by this now... what are eevryones thoughts?

Every added playoff spot makes the body of work in the regular all that much less valuable until you become the NHL where every team is invited to the party. I don't like playoffs for the sake of playoffs. Why even play in April?

Keep Bud Selig around, we'll eventually be looking at 16 teams in the playoffs, 3 7-game series just to win the pennant and the world series competing with the Lions and Cowboys on Thanksgiving.

Hyperbole. Last I checked it was 16 teams. Not terribly uncommon for a sub .500 team to get in. The 1991 Minnesota Northstars made the Stanley Cup Finals with a sub .500 record.

The NBA has more teams make the playoffs than don't. There is some benefit to expanding the playoffs, but the current system doesn't really seem to be broken.

The one game playoff...For that reason right there, I totally hate the new wild card spot. I liked the 1 wild card a lot better. Baseball is already a loooooong season (which I love) as it is, there's no need to add extra playoff layers.

As for who takes the spots, I gotta think the tigers get in there, and the A's hang on to one of the spots. A's shock the tigers, Yankees beat the A's, Rangers beat the White Sox, Rangers beat the yankees in the ALCS, then beat the dodgers in the World Series, then fade into obscurity for a few years. Go Rangers.

As for the NL, don't really care. Astros? they're totally in the mix right?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The one game playoff...For that reason right there, I totally hate the new wild card spot. I liked the 1 wild card a lot better. Baseball is already a loooooong season (which I love) as it is, there's no need to add extra playoff layers.

As for who takes the spots, I gotta think the tigers get in there, and the A's hang on to one of the spots. A's shock the tigers, Yankees beat the A's, Rangers beat the White Sox, Rangers beat the yankees in the ALCS, then beat the dodgers in the World Series, then fade into obscurity for a few years. Go Rangers.

Wouldn't count on the A's. Their September schedule is brutal, with series against the Orioles, Tigers, Yankees, and Red Sox, plus a divisional series against the Angels (4 games away, 3 games at home) and Rangers (4 games at Arlington). They play 18 of the remaining games on the road and 12 at home. Both 3 game sets with the Tigers and the Yanks are on the road. That is a tough road to hoe.

The only saving grace is they get 6 games (3 home, 3 away) with the Mariners. But, then again, the Mariners have been playing well as of late.

Edited by UNT90

I don't know if they win it this year or not, but how are the Rangers going to fade into obscurity with their farm system and payroll after this season?

Edited by Quoner
  • Upvote 2

I don't know if they win it this year or not, but how are the Rangers going to fade into obscurity with their farm system and payroll after this season?

I don't actually think that they will fade into obscurity, just saying I've wanted them to win it all for so long, I'd take one championship then be completely ok with a few years of mediocrity. That being said, they will be a major factor for the a long long while now.

• Upvote 1

The Rangers are playing good ball and have won a butt load of series as of late. The strange anomoly is that the Rangers have not swept a series since back to back sweeps of the Diamondbacks and Padres, with the last game in those series coming June 20th.

The Rangers record in series since those last 2 sweeps? 14-4-2, getting swept only one time by the White Sox.

The Rangers record since that time is 37-27. Amazingly consistent without being dominate.

It makes me think they got at least one good run left in them in September. KC is ripe for it. Game one down in a 4 game set.

Edited by UNT90

Despite the Rangers struggling on offense for a good 2 months and still being a little inconsistent they're still winning and still with the best record in the AL. Oakland's schedule is pretty tough this month so I don't really expect Oakland to be there in the end. The Angels are however just a few games behind one of the WC spot as they're starting to find some groove and consistency. It will be an interesting month for sure but I think the Rangers have pretty much locked the division.

• 3 weeks later...

The Rangers are playing good ball and have won a butt load of series as of late. The strange anomoly is that the Rangers have not swept a series since back to back sweeps of the Diamondbacks and Padres, with the last game in those series coming June 20th.

The Rangers record in series since those last 2 sweeps? 14-4-2, getting swept only one time by the White Sox.

The Rangers record since that time is 37-27. Amazingly consistent without being dominate.

It makes me think they got at least one good run left in them in September. KC is ripe for it. Game one down in a 4 game set.

Rangers still have not swept a series since June 20th. An amazing stat for a team that has the best record in the American league.

10 games left. 7 against the A's, three against the Angels. 4 games up on the A's, 6.5 on the Angels.

With the next 7 at home (four against the A's, 3 against the Angels), now owuld be a good time for that ever elusive series sweep. Sweep the A's in the next four and the race is over.

Really need to be 4 up going to Oakland for the final 3 games of the year.

Interesting times ahead.

I like the extra wildcard, but I agree that it should be a three game series. One game just gives too much of an advantage to the team with the best ace pitcher.

I like the one game playoff because it really gives an incentive to win the division. Even if the wild card winner has an ace, you've burned him in the one game playoff - giving your LDS opponent a big advantage (which is frankly how it should be).
  • Upvote 2

So....with all the playoff spots handed out (even if two divisions have yet to be decided), here is my ranking of rooting interest for October. Priority is given to teams with serious post season/title droughts.

1.Texas Rangers

2. Washington Nationals

3. Baltimore Orioles

4. Detroit Tigers

5.Cincinnati Reds

6. Atlanta Braves

7. Oakland Athletics

8. San Francisco Giants

9. St. Louis Cardinals

10. New York Yankees

• Upvote 2