Roster Power Rankings

I'm a nerd for power rankings so lets here everyones opinions on this years MBB roster power rankings. I'm going to defer to the basketball vets because they know way more than I do.

1. Tony Mitchell

2. Chris Jones

3.???

etc....

this is the internet... you should never defer to ANYONE!

1. Tony Mitchell

2/3. Chris Jones/TJ Taylor

4. Alzee Williams

5. Justin Patton

6. Keith Coleman

7. Jordan Williams

8. Black Hole

9. Roger Franklin

10. Niko Stoj..k...Niko

11. Brandon Walton

12. Clarke Overlander

13/14. Norris/Hardwick

Surprised to see Hardwick that low on your list

Who is Black Hole? I've heard him being referred to a few times, but even when I double check with the roster on meangreensports.com I can't find anyone missing...

Surprised to see Hardwick that low on your list

I think he may develop into a fine guard, but I don't think he finds much in the way of minutes this season...Jones will play 25-30 a night...Alzee and Taylor can both play the 1 and need to find more minutes than simply platooning at the 2 can give them. I'd anticipate the 10 minutes Jones is not on the floor is manned more by Alzee or Taylor than Hardwick or Norris

1. Tony Mitchell

4. Alzee Williams

5. Justin Patton

6. Keith Coleman

7. Jordan Williams

8. Black Hole

9. Roger Franklin

10. Niko Stoj..k...Niko

11. Brandon Walton

12. Clarke Overlander

13/14. Norris/Hardwick

I don't know enough about TJ to immediately bump Alzee, but I got no qualms with the list otherwise.

Who is Black Hole? I've heard him being referred to a few times, but even when I double check with the roster on meangreensports.com I can't find anyone missing...

It is Jacob Holmen, because when he touches the ball he is going to shoot it.

• Upvote 3

It is Jacob Holmen, because when he touches the ball he is going to shoot it.

Makes sense, not sure how I missed that when I compared the list to the official roster haha. I agree with the nickname.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I don't know enough about TJ to immediately bump Alzee, but I got no qualms with the list otherwise.

I am basing it on ratings and OU/MU connections, but in the end I think you'll basically see Jones/Taylor/Alzee using up most of the available 60 minutes at the 1 and the 2...spot minutes for either Walton or Overlander if no one is hitting from the outside, or spot minutes for Jordan at the 2 if we kinda go with an athletic, smaller line-up.

Mitchell will probably see about 15-20 minutes at the 4, 15-20 minutes at the 5...Coleman's development and conditioning will hopefully keep Mitchell more at the 4. Spot minutes for Niko

That leaves 40 minutes at the 3 and 20-25 at the 4 to basically be split by Franklin, Jordan, Patton and Holmen.

That's a hell of a rotation.

• Upvote 2

1. Tony Mitchell

4. Alzee Williams

5. Justin Patton

6. Keith Coleman

7. Jordan Williams

8. Black Hole

9. Roger Franklin

10. Niko Stoj..k...Niko

11. Brandon Walton

12. Clarke Overlander

13/14. Norris/Hardwick

Agree, for the most part.

I think I'd remove Hardwick from the bottom of the list and place him just above Niko.

I'd also drop TJ to 4 and slide Alzee to the tie for 2nd with CJ. He's the best defender we have, and he can do all kinds of things on the ball or off. I just think, despite what he did last year, he's underrated.

Only reason Jordan is not higher is because of his timidity in driving the lane when in a half-court set. I hope he starts doing that more. If he does, he'll skyrocket up this list.

• Upvote 1

1. Tony Mitchell

4. Alzee Williams

5. Justin Patton

6. Keith Coleman

7. Jordan Williams

8. Black Hole

9. Roger Franklin

10. Niko Stoj..k...Niko

11. Brandon Walton

12. Clarke Overlander

13/14. Norris/Hardwick

Solid list, but I'm hoping for Overlander to surprise ... opening up the inside even more for Mitchell to cause mayhem.

• Upvote 2

Solid list, but I'm hoping for Overlander to surprise ... opening up the inside even more for Mitchell to cause mayhem.

Right now we have 14 really good players. Thing is, you really only play 9 a night.

We have a clear number 1...then it seems we have a consensus that 2-4 are Jones/Alzee/Taylor in some sort of order. From there...in my opinion...Holmen, Franklin, Patton, Jordan and Coleman, based either on expectations, inconsistency and need, fill out spots 5-9 in some order.

After that...I valued size and the fact that Coleman is an unknown to put Niko 10...the lack of knock of knock-down shooting to plug in Walton and Overlander next. Point guard is pretty set.

I really like Overlander and Hardwick...but right now I just don't see how they find the floor...they don't only have to be good, they have to be good enough to merit taking away minutes from Jones/Taylor/Alzee...the 3 guys it seems we agree are 2-4 in terms of talent or importance on this team. If one of them can do it, great...I won't sneeze at even more talent...I just don't envision it.

• Upvote 1

Why wouldn't they play Taylor at the 2 instead of PG? Seems we have the need for the 2, whereas we have 4 competent players that can run the point.

He is a 2 and will play the 2. Jones is a 1 and will play the 1. When Jones sits, either Alzee or Taylor will play the point. That is what he was saying.

• Upvote 1

With such depth and talent it begs the question- is this going to become the norm for UNT and what does UNT need to do to make sure this continues to happen? Now I know Tony Mitchell is going to be a very rare get but what about the other players? Can we keep getting these highly touted *** or **** players?

• Upvote 1

Why wouldn't they play Taylor at the 2 instead of PG? Seems we have the need for the 2, whereas we have 4 competent players that can run the point.

He will be primarily at the 2...but he is more than capable on the ball (I believe Marquette was recruiting him to be their combo guard off the bench). My point in saying that I think either he or Alzee will see time at the 1 is in my belief that we're a better team with 2 of the Jones-Alzee-Taylor trifecta than we would be with only one of them next to Hardwick, Norris, Walton or Overlander.

There are 80 available minutes combined at the 1 and 2. Assuming normal competitive games, I think you want Jones on the floor for about 30 minutes...I think it's safe to say as well that you want Alzee and Taylor for 20-25 each...that's basically your available minutes. For any of the remaining 4 to see significant time they're gonna have to prove they're good enough to cut into the playing time of your 3 top guards. Hardwick or Norris may be better points...Overlander and Walton better shooters, but they're not necessarily better options on the floor.

• Upvote 1

This is what I was referring to. Why use the guy you recruited to play the 2 at the 1 when you have two good PGs on the bench, plus Alzee?

Because you're a better all around team (scoring, defensively, ability) with one of these three backcourts: Jones and Alzee, Jones and Taylor, Taylor and Alzee than you are with any one of them paired next to Norris or Hardwick...at least by present appearances.

• Upvote 1

Because you're a better all around team (scoring, defensively, ability) with one of these three backcourts: Jones and Alzee, Jones and Taylor, Taylor and Alzee than you are with any one of them paired next to Norris or Hardwick...at least by present appearances.

I guess it depends on how much ore Alzee has developed this summer. Can he be a dependable spot up shooter? If so I think he gets those minutes at the 2. But if not, this team could use it. We really lacked that last year. Can that be TJ, or and my point about Overladner being, can he be that guy? I might just be a guy who likes having that player on the floor that you can't drop off of to double up all the other ball talent we have.

I guess it depends on how much ore Alzee has developed this summer. Can he be a dependable spot up shooter? If so I think he gets those minutes at the 2. But if not, this team could use it. We really lacked that last year. Can that be TJ, or and my point about Overladner being, can he be that guy? I might just be a guy who likes having that player on the floor that you can't drop off of to double up all the other ball talent we have.

Jones and Alzee are pretty knock-down from 15-18 feet...I think all 3 should shoot around 30-35% from 3...not great, but enough to stay honest. If shots aren't dropping and teams are able to simply pack it in, then yes minutes become available for Walton or Overlander...but probably just for stretches.