With everyone taking family outings and vacations this time of year, I thought I'd share a child safety tip I came across.

When you go out with your kid(s), take a moment to take a quick photo of them on your phone before you leave. That way you can have an accurate, up to date photo of how they look and what they are wearing that day. It can save precious seconds if the unthinkable happens. The photo can be quickly shared with all officers and authorities searching for the child.

• Upvote 2

If you have little ones in car seats pj one of their toys like a Teddy bear on the front seat as a reminder they're back there. This time of year there are tragic cases of kids being forgotten in the car and dying from the heat.

Another good one. You can also put your cell, purse, waller, or something that you need or don't forget back there as a reminder. When you reach back to retrieve the item, you will remind yourself that they are there.

• Upvote 1

Another good one. You can also put your cell, purse, waller, or something that you need or don't forget back there as a reminder. When you reach back to retrieve the item, you will remind yourself that they are there.

If anyone values their wallet or cell phone over their child, they have other issues. It's sad that our police/fire force have to issue these kinds of tips.

• Upvote 1

If anyone values their wallet or cell phone over their child, they have other issues. It's sad that our police/fire force have to issue these kinds of tips.

AMEN!!!

And to add a bit of information about the danger of your car this time of year. I bought a thermometer for my truck a few weeks ago and I generally leave it on the arm rest when I'm not in the truck. The other day when I got in the truck it was approaching 98 degrees outside (about 1:30 in the afternoon), and the temp inside the truck was 143. And my truck is white, so it reflects the sun's rays instead of absorbing them. OR, while you're at it, keep this image always in mind.

http://www.dfps.state.tx.us/Documents/Child_Protection/pdf/cars.pdf

I wasn't trying to say they value those items over their child, although some do. But if you are the type who always brings your cell phone, put it by your kid so you can not forget to take your kid out. Alot of times it will be the parent who doesn't usually take the kid to daycare before they go to work. They simply forget.

And it is sad that these tips have to be issued, but it just goes to show, you should have to take a competency test to be a parent.

Edited by Rudy