VERBAL - 2013 HS - Tony Nunn - 6'8" C

NT03

Looks like a very good commit, 7 ft 2 inch wing span and size 18 shoes, could end up bigger than 6'8 although he is already about Mitchell's length. Good thing is he is an around the basket player, hope he doesn't fall in love with the three in his senior year.

Edited by GrandGreen

Looks like a very good commit, 72 inch wing span and size 18 shoes, could end up bigger than 6'8 although he is already about Mitchell's length. Good thing is he is an around the basket player, hope he doesn't fall in love with the three in his senior year.

7'2", which is even more impressive. 72 inch would just be 6 feet.

One of his coaches mentioned in one of the linked articles above (I think one from Cooley) that you will not see him shooting from the outside. Seems to be a very straightforward, 'pure center' mentality.

One of his coaches mentioned in one of the linked articles above (I think one from Cooley) that you will not see him shooting from the outside. Seems to be a very straightforward, 'pure center' mentality.

Which are very hard to find ever since the 3 point shot came to college basketball. If he works on lower body strength and increases his vertical, he could be a beast in CUSA. The fact that he has room for this type of improvement is a very good thing.

Kinda concerns me that he talked about being very close with his high school coach in one article (talks about the coach being the reason he has become the player he is), yet leaves the program to go to a prep school. It could be that the high school coach was completely on board with the move, but I just wonder if there are loyalty problems. IF that is the case, we may have a hard time holding on to him if he has a break out season.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

Short arm players are all the rage these days.

• Upvote 2

Which are very hard to find ever since the 3 point shot came to college basketball. If he works on lower body strength and increases his vertical, he could be a beast in CUSA. The fact that he has room for this type of improvement is a very good thing.

Kinda concerns me that he talked about being very close with his high school coach in one article (talks about the coach being the reason he has become the player he is), yet leaves the program to go to a prep school. It could be that the high school coach was completely on board with the move, but I just wonder if there are loyalty problems. IF that is the case, we may have a hard time holding on to him if he has a break out season.

If he was that close with the High School coach then he is the one who probably told him to go to prep. Kids go there for the sole purpose of working on their game. If he really wants him to succeed and has any future at BB beyond college , then going prep is probably the right 1st step. Hanging on to this kid might be a challenge

• Upvote 1

Great verbal, fellas. I really like Nunn, good hands & touch. Below the rim, but that doesn't matter w/beef. Just going off Benford's more recent players, I'd compare Nunn to Devante Gardner. Skilled but some were scared by grades/conditioning. Turned out great for Marquette. Congrats

• Upvote 1

Great verbal, fellas. I really like Nunn, good hands & touch. Below the rim, but that doesn't matter w/beef. Just going off Benford's more recent players, I'd compare Nunn to Devante Gardner. Skilled but some were scared by grades/conditioning. Turned out great for Marquette. Congrats

Rare praise from the HIlltop?

Looks like Benford may actually elevate this program. It will be interesting to compare Benford and Brown in a couple of years.

• Downvote 1

Hoping that a year of Prep play and then coach Benford & Seroka can get him where he needs to be.

Long live Hoopmanx!

• 3 weeks later...

Nunn is #33 in the videos. I believe he had just joined "Upward Stars 17" and didn't play much. Project type kid that has a classic low post game, needed for a half court pace and possibly crunch time. Like everyone else, I don't know anything about the Brazilian guy but Nunn is probably the 3rd string center in 2013-2014.

http://www.ihigh.com/augustabasketball/broadcast_232720.html?silverlight=1

http://www.ihigh.com/augustabasketball/broadcast_232726.html?silverlight=1

http://www.ihigh.com/augustabasketball/broadcast_232722.html?silverlight=1

• Upvote 1

• 7 months later...

This guy had a LOT of offers from some pretty good programs. My only concern is he didn't play much this year due to shin splints -- I have little doubt he can play. I don't get the constant knocks on him --- can we get him here before we start writing him off already?

This guy had a LOT of offers from some pretty good programs. My only concern is he didn't play much this year due to shin splints -- I have little doubt he can play. I don't get the constant knocks on him --- can we get him here before we start writing him off already?

Not knocking him at all, but he is undersized for a 4 in CUSA. That may not be a big deal. Trammeil was undersized for a 4 in the Belt (he was about 6'5"), but he knew how to use his wide body under the basket. Hopefully Nunn is cut from the same mold.

Several on here (not this thread) were listing him at 6'9". When I said I stood next to him at the volleyball game when he visited and said he was about 6'6", many didn't believe me and one particularly uninformed poster said he was 6'10".

Hopefully he turns into a bull down low. Time will tell.

• Upvote 1

Not sure where you get your information, but many men continue to grow into their early 20's.

He just likes to make thingsup ..... ;)

I have heard from multiple people he is decent sized. I have never heard say he is 6'10". But I have heard 6'7" and 6'8". At this point we just need any body down low... Especially if Mitchell leaves. Like Franklin if they play with heart anything is possible. Still it would not hurt to get a solid 6'9" juco player. With the addition of shermain (forgot last name and probaly misspelled the first) to the guards we are running out of nig bodied players. Unless of course pj transfers, Tony leaves, or another major move happens.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

He just likes to make thingsup ..... ;)

I have heard from multiple people he is decent sized. I have never heard say he is 6'10". But I have heard 6'7" and 6'8". At this point we just need any body down low... Especially if Mitchell leaves. Like Franklin if they play with heart anything is possible. Still it would not hurt to get a solid 6'9" juco player. With the addition of shermain (forgot last name and probaly misspelled the first) to the guards we are running out of nig bodied players. Unless of course pj transfers, Tony leaves, or another major move happens.

If I was motivated, I wpuld go back and find the post where you said he was 6'10".

I'm not motivated.

• Downvote 1

If I was motivated, I wpuld go back and find the post where you said he was 6'10".

I'm not motivated.

me...? You must have me confused with someone else. I never typed that he was 6;10' ever... I had read he was 6'10' but it was not my statement. I do believe he is 6'8' based on what I have seen and heard from first hand accounts. I can quote someone else but that does not mean that it is what I 100% believe or my words.

I am not saying he is some great ball player and this video is pretty lackluster but If he is 6'6' at the tallest then he must have been playing with a lot of 5ft nothing guys... to me it looks like he could be 6'8'

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Most males are finished growing by 18. Lets hope he is the exception.

My son grew from 5'10" to 6'1" between the time he was 18 and 21. I don't think that his is a rare case as have seen many kids I worked with in soccer do the exact same thing. Lots of growing in males takes place after their 18th birthdays. At least that has been my experience as a parent and as a person who has worked with a lot of young males athletes on the soccer fields.

• Upvote 3

• 1 month later...

Rare praise from the HIlltop?

Looks like Benford may actually elevate this program. It will be interesting to compare Benford and Brown in a couple of years.

Found this while looking for something else on this thread.

Not interesting, just sad. And it only took one year.

Edited by UNT90