1975 Schedule

Anyone else see this in the pictures about the boards? Only two games at Fouts that season? Wow!

Sept 4 - UTA @ Texas Stadium

Sept 13 - Drake @ Des Moines, IA

Sept 20 - San Diego State @ San Diego, CA

Sept 27 - Oklahoma State @ Stillwater, OK

Oct 4 - Memphis State @ Memphis, TN

Oct 11 - Houston @ Texas Stadium

Oct 18 - Mississippi State @ Starkville, MS

Oct 25 - Tennessee @ Knoxville, TN

Nov 8 - Cal Poly Pomona @ Denton, TX - Fouts!

Nov 15 - New Mexico State @ Las Cruces, NM

Nov 29 - West Texas State @ Denton, TX - Fouts!

Hayden Fry, coach

Record: 7-4...7-4 with only two real home games...in November!

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch
  • Upvote 1

And look at the two "real" home games at fouts; Cal Poly Pomona and West Texas State. Now those are two games that must have gotten the students and locals excited.

I was a junior at "Nit-Su" in 1975.

We played Cal Poly Pomona 2 weeks after we beat the Tennessee Volunteers in Knoxville. Can you believe we had a freakin' Open Date the week after we beat the Vols? :thumbsd:

Excitement on campus after the Tennessee win was at a fever pitch. Many saw our game results on ABC TV that Game Day Saturday when Keith Jackson made a comment about "that Hayden Fry bunch from North Texas was playing Tennessee close" I had been at the Willis Library that afternoon and then went over to a dorm living area when a fellow student told me we were playing the Vols a close game in the 4'th quarter.

The dorm living room area with the TV was filled to the brim with students so I knew something pretty special was going on with our game. Radios were turned on very loud in that dorm's living room area as we were all listening to a most excited Bill Mercer calling our game and our fans listening with amazement that Keith Jackson on a nationally televised game mentioned North Texas and Hayden Fry. Then the Mean Green's diminutive RB Sears Wood ran a kick-off return for a North Texas touchdown--bedlam and high fives took over in Kendall Hall. North Texas would win the game before a shocked Volunteer's home crowd of about 75,000 that day in Neyland Stadium. If this was how Big Time college foodtball felt, man o' man, we had to have some more of this at North Texas! (The Dallas Times Herald next morning in its Sunday edition had a front page photo of our team being met at Love Field before a huge crowd of North Texas fans).

North Texas versus Cal Poly-Pomona: We had right at 20,000 at Fouts Field (its capacity) for the Cal Poly-Pomona game and that was the most we'd had at Fouts I believe since it had opened. Wayne Ray in the NT Ticket Office said had that game been played the week "after" our Tennessee win that they would have had to park in Lewisville and Gainsville to get a spot for their cars.

Amazingly and as I recall, we had a hard time getting our mind on Cal Poly but finally put them away. Everyone was still buzzing about the Vols win by the Mean Green. (The Vols would win 6 games that Fall and would have been a bowl team had the game took place in this era). Yet beating one of the Big Boys was a feeling that most of us who were around during that era wanted to see keep happening. There was just something about it that felt real damn good.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2

At that time was alumni advisor for the Lambda Chi Alpha Fraternity. As a spirit project the fraternity had volunteered to paint Fouts Field...they painted the walls on the inside plus the steps and the railing.It was the first time it had ever been painted. Anyway, we had the radio on through the stadium speaker system as we painted the stadium (it was the same afternoon as the Tennessee game). We thought Mercer was going to have a heart attack on the radio at the end of the game. When the team got home they thought we had painted the stadium to commemorate the victory vs. the Vols.

• Upvote 3

Did any of the musicians play the banjo theme song to the movie "Deliverance" while our guys were in the Smokey Mountains of Tennessee that afternoon kickin' butt, Phil? :)

GMG!

No, but the Osborne Brothers could have been playing Rocky Top. You know, Rock Top Tennesseeeeee................................

• Upvote 1

Anyone else see this in the pictures about the boards? Only two games at Fouts that season? Wow!

Sept 4 - UTA @ Texas Stadium

Sept 13 - Drake @ Des Moines, IA

Sept 20 - San Diego State @ San Diego, CA

Sept 27 - Oklahoma State @ Stillwater, OK

Oct 4 - Memphis State @ Memphis, TN

Oct 11 - Houston @ Texas Stadium

Oct 18 - Mississippi State @ Starkville, MS

Oct 25 - Tennessee @ Knoxville, TN

Nov 8 - Cal Poly Pomona @ Denton, TX - Fouts!

Nov 15 - New Mexico State @ Las Cruces, NM

Nov 29 - West Texas State @ Denton, TX - Fouts!

Hayden Fry, coach

Record: 7-4...7-4 with only two real home games...in November!

Actually Fry's plan was to play a lot of games at Texas Stadium; it was to be NT's true home field with only one or two at Fouts. If he has succeeded in the SWC bid, all the conference games would have been at Texas Stadium.

• Upvote 1

Actually Fry's plan was to play a lot of games at Texas Stadium; it was to be NT's true home field with only one or two at Fouts. If he has succeeded in the SWC bid, all the conference games would have been at Texas Stadium.

Still, that's only 4 home games with the only one worth a flip being Houston. I'd take this year's schedule a million times over '75s, even if it means no win @ Neyland.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

I was at the Houston and Cal Poly games that year. What many people keep forgetting (or didn't realize) was that (as far as the state of Texas was concerned) the Houston win (28-0) was as big, if not bigger than the Tennessee game. Houston had been (as an Independent) tearing it up and had been admitted to the SWC. They won the SWC title the next year (76) in their first outing as a full member.

The Houston game was where we lost Kenny Washington. He was hurt when Houston took a cheap shot at him. In fact, I believe it was their All-American DT Wilson Whitley who piled his fat butt on top of Washington after the whistle had blown. Between that and other injuries (I think in the Miss St. game the next week) we were playing with a 3rd string QB against Tennessee.

Considering that no one had ever heard of Cal Poly Pomona, much less knew anything about their football team, it wasn't hard to understand us having a slow start in that game. One thing I remembered about that game was that Cal Poly had the largest OL in the NCAA that year. I think they averaged over 250#. I remember that they had at least one 300# tackle on their team. I remember thinking "geezz this is going to be a freak show".

• Upvote 1

I was at the Houston and Cal Poly games that year. What many people keep forgetting (or didn't realize) was that (as far as the state of Texas was concerned) the Houston win (28-0) was as big, if not bigger than the Tennessee game. Houston had been (as an Independent) tearing it up and had been admitted to the SWC. They won the SWC title the next year (76) in their first outing as a full member.

The Houston game was where we lost Kenny Washington. He was hurt when Houston took a cheap shot at him. In fact, I believe it was their All-American DT Wilson Whitley who piled his fat butt on top of Washington after the whistle had blown. Between that and other injuries (I think in the Miss St. game the next week) we were playing with a 3rd string QB against Tennessee.

Considering that no one had ever heard of Cal Poly Pomona, much less knew anything about their football team, it wasn't hard to understand us having a slow start in that game. One thing I remembered about that game was that Cal Poly had the largest OL in the NCAA that year. I think they averaged over 250#. I remember that they had at least one 300# tackle on their team. I remember thinking "geezz this is going to be a freak show".

Another tidbit about that game, the Poly plane was late and the game was delayed and they had practically no warm up. It didn't seem to slow them down at all, as they outplayed NT in the first half.

• Upvote 1

1975 .............3 ..................35,530 ........................ 11,843

For you guys that were there in 1975, was the above attendance for 3 Fouts games or inclusive of the 2 TX Stadium games and 2 Fouts games?

Above says we averaged 11843 for Fouts-only games. That number is fairly consistent with what I have heard about Fouts attendance, even in the Fry years.

• Upvote 1