Can North Texas compete in CUSA

With Memphis leaving CUSA to go to the Big East, the profile of CUSA basketball drops some. However, it is still a big step up from the Sun Belt. Basketball has been a bright spot at North Texas over the last several years, but we haven't dominated the league (only one regular season title right?). Most of the success has come from the conference tournament. I was curious where we fit in with the new CUSA. I looked at the last 5 years of Sagarin ratings (mainly because they are easy to find and are free). These numbers aren't exactly comparable since UNT has had worse competition which probably has hurt its numbers. North Texas is ranked 6th out of 12 teams. That's not too bad but we were probably 2nd or 3rd in Sun Belt over same period. Like every sport we'll have to step up but I feel really good about our chances to compete. Here are the rankings:

Team 2012 2011 2010 2009 2008 Avg

UAB 131 62 61 56 56 73

Tulsa 103 97 75 63 71 82

UTEP 144 78 42 79 110 91

S. Miss 66 75 123 144 109 103

Marshall 79 90 86 158 144 111

UNT 166 175 157 152 138 158

ECU 141 140 235 198 226 188

Tulane 176 204 238 176 153 189

UTSA 173 217 200 188 261 208

La Tech 191 248 99 181 324 209

Rice 150 172 259 231 313 225

FIU 238 292 302 292 263 277

Edited by KoldBeer
  • Upvote 3

CUSA has some traditional strong teams in UAB, UTEP, UNCC but there is no reason that NT can't prosper in this league particularly in the Western Division. Outside of UTEP and Tulsa, there are no teams with any better basketball histories. Based on recent history, NT should do well.

By the way, I take back what I thought about Trilli lying to recruits about NT going to CUSA. He wasn't lying, he was just off on the dates a little.

• Upvote 4

I find it amusing that nobody on the CUSA boards (outside of fellow Mean Greeners) seems to respect our basketball programat all. In fact, other than knowing that Johnny Jones left for LSU, they have no knowledge of what we've done the past 5 years. And almost all of them expect JJ's departure to automatically cripple our basketball program.

Edited by UNTP1
  • Upvote 1

I find it amusing that nobody on the CUSA boards (outside of fellow Mean Greeners) seems to respect our basketball programat all. In fact, other than knowing that Johnny Jones left for LSU, they have no knowledge of what we've done the past 5 years. And almost all of them expect JJ's departure to automatically cripple our basketball program.

mr_burns.gif

• Upvote 7

I think initially it will be tough going for both basketball and football. This season’s basketball team will definitely be able to compete but after TM leaves...depends on how recruiting goes. A top 25 program and (hopefully) surviving a couple of rounds of the NCAAs definately shines well for recruiting. Football might take a couple of years.

I don't know about dominating but I think that we'll do extremely well; especially in basketball. I base that mainly on the changes in coaches and recruiting in the past year. Better coaches attract better recruits. The sleeping giant will awake. Book it.

• Upvote 2