Marquette fan here

brewcity77

Yeah, he played at Texas Tech and has really done a good job recruiting out of there since coming to Marquette. I am confident he'll be able to take advantage of the fertile recruiting grounds down there and keep some kids in the area that might have gone elsewhere otherwise. I think convincing Tony Mitchell to stay will be huge, especially if he can manage to get to the postseason next year.

Out of Texas, he was our lead recruiter on Erik Williams, Aaron Durley, TJ Taylor, and Junior Cadougan. He's well-tied in to the state.

EDIT @ DeepGreen: Actually, our Assistant AD, Mike Broeker (he handles scheduling) tweeted this the other day about Tony: "Tried to schedule him to guarantee game yesterday, he passed, smart guy, showed me he is ready to be a HC. #mubb"

Wouldn't surprise me to see it down the line, but I think Tony will wait until he builds the team up a bit, and possibly until after the move to C-USA. Though maybe we'll meet in March... B)

Edited by brewcity77

We weren't talking guarantee brewcity77 - we were actually talking a home and home. :) We've had some difficulty getting name brand teams to come to the Super Pit since 2006 or so.

As good a recruiter as Coach Benford may be, next years team might be the most talented one he has in years, if not his entire career in Denton. Tony Mitchells don't grow on trees.

We weren't talking guarantee brewcity77 - we were actually talking a home and home. :) We've had some difficulty getting name brand teams to come to the Super Pit since 2006 or so.

As good a recruiter as Coach Benford may be, next years team might be the most talented one he has in years, if not his entire career in Denton. Tony Mitchells don't grow on trees.

If you guys get the move to C-USA, I'd love to see a home-and-home, but I have a feeling Broeker will hold off at least until then.

As far as Mitchell...you aren't kidding. I'm guessing he'd be the best player on Marquette if he were here. I think he could very well have an Isaiah Canaan, Kenneth Faried, Stephen Curry type impact this year and end up making some All-American teams. I think Benford has a great chance to make the NCAAs with Mitchell leading the team, and hopefully that will only help get you guys into C-USA, and while it will be near-impossible to replace him, hopefully open some eyes and get consistently good recruits coming to UNT.

• Upvote 3

If you guys get the move to C-USA, I'd love to see a home-and-home, but I have a feeling Broeker will hold off at least until then.

As far as Mitchell...you aren't kidding. I'm guessing he'd be the best player on Marquette if he were here. I think he could very well have an Isaiah Canaan, Kenneth Faried, Stephen Curry type impact this year and end up making some All-American teams. I think Benford has a great chance to make the NCAAs with Mitchell leading the team, and hopefully that will only help get you guys into C-USA, and while it will be near-impossible to replace him, hopefully open some eyes and get consistently good recruits coming to UNT.

If Tony Mitchell were a baseball player, people would call him a 5 tool guy, because he can do it all. The depth of the team we have next year is going to be great, and I would put this team on the floor against anybody.

Our football team usually sells one guarantee game a year, sometimes two. The BB team however has sold I believe just 3 games in the last 5 years...2 in Austin and 1 in Lawrence. Home-and-homes over that span have included LSU, Ok State, Tx Tech, Rice among others. We have a nice arena, you'd enjoy the trip.

Yeah, he played at Texas Tech and has really done a good job recruiting out of there since coming to Marquette. I am confident he'll be able to take advantage of the fertile recruiting grounds down there and keep some kids in the area that might have gone elsewhere otherwise. I think convincing Tony Mitchell to stay will be huge, especially if he can manage to get to the postseason next year.

Out of Texas, he was our lead recruiter on Erik Williams, Aaron Durley, TJ Taylor, and Junior Cadougan. He's well-tied in to the state.

EDIT @ DeepGreen: Actually, our Assistant AD, Mike Broeker (he handles scheduling) tweeted this the other day about Tony: "Tried to schedule him to guarantee game yesterday, he passed, smart guy, showed me he is ready to be a HC. #mubb"

Wouldn't surprise me to see it down the line, but I think Tony will wait until he builds the team up a bit, and possibly until after the move to C-USA. Though maybe we'll meet in March... B)

When we were on the brink of the NCAAs before our championship game brackets were predicted as #2 Marquette vs #15 North Texas, too bad that never happened even if it was an outside chance.

One thing I am interested in seeing is a coach come from a school that has a tradition of being one of the best teams in basketball. Not that JJ didn't come from a great LSU team, but to see someone from a team that is a real power in college basketball and how he runs this program.

Our football team usually sells one guarantee game a year, sometimes two. The BB team however has sold I believe just 3 games in the last 5 years...2 in Austin and 1 in Lawrence. Home-and-homes over that span have included LSU, Ok State, Tx Tech, Rice among others. We have a nice arena, you'd enjoy the trip.

We also played guarantee games against Mississippi State, Boise State, A&M, and Houston.

We usually sell 2 games a year. Some (Houston and Boise State) were less about a big paycheck and more about keeping recruiting promises or filling out a schedule, respectively.

We also played guarantee games against Mississippi State, Boise State, A&M, and Houston.

We usually sell 2 games a year. Some (Houston and Boise State) were less about a big paycheck and more about keeping recruiting promises or filling out a schedule, respectively.

Fotgot about A&M and that weird Boise game. UH did play in Denton, though. Same day their football team played either at TCU or Armed Forces Bowl IIRC

Fotgot about A&M and that weird Boise game. UH did play in Denton, though. Same day their football team played either at TCU or Armed Forces Bowl IIRC

That was the 2nd half of a previous home-and-home, if I remember right. I think we may have sold a game to Arkansas that same year that I left off the list.

yes in the 2009-2010 season i believe, we played arkansas in little rock.

Just saw that Benford added Bart Lundy to his staff as an assistant, he was our Director of Basketball Operations at Marquette and most MU fans were hoping he would step into Benford's job. Another very solid hire, He's a former D1 Head Coach that has been learning on the job behind a great staff at Marquette. I'm confident Lundy will be a great #2 on the bench for Benford, and will work hard on the recruiting trail.

Of course it's all opinion, but I think you guys have every reason to be very excited about this team in the coming years.

• Upvote 1

Just saw that Benford added Bart Lundy to his staff as an assistant, he was our Director of Basketball Operations at Marquette and most MU fans were hoping he would step into Benford's job. Another very solid hire, He's a former D1 Head Coach that has been learning on the job behind a great staff at Marquette. I'm confident Lundy will be a great #2 on the bench for Benford, and will work hard on the recruiting trail.

Of course it's all opinion, but I think you guys have every reason to be very excited about this team in the coming years.

Having not watched a lot of Marquette outside the tournament, could you give us some insights into how everyone feels about the overall ability of the team to execute late in games? Did the plays generally work or at least leave your guys with a good shot? Would love to see that area improved for us.