SMU pursuing Marquette's Buzz Williams

Harry

A swing and a miss with Buzz, but at least SMU is trying. I'd rather they fail pursuing the top candidates than never even try. Even if it does seem absurd for SMU to go for these coaches (and trust me, if I wasn't affiliated with the school I'd be laughing too), all of this is at least tossing the name SMU into the basketball community. A good coach in a hostile environment (be that problems with the AD, fan base, city, w/e) might be interested in trying something new while still being paid really well. We'll see what happens, but I'd prefer if we didn't go for Jones, I'd like to see the Mean Green continuing their climb in basketball. It could lead to some truly fun rivalry games down the line.

I am not sure it portrays very well on SMU when they offer a guy $3.5M when he was making $2M and he says "no thanks".

I am not sure it portrays very well on SMU when they offer a guy $3.5M when he was making $2M and he says "no thanks".

Maybe it portrays making $2M very well. Suppose he's married to a woman who's happy enough with things the way they are, and he thinks, "what if I get down to Texas, have a job with lots more travel, wife gets unhappy, files for divorce, eating up that $1.5M differential faster than my career winning percentage"? I mean, a guy has to at least run these scenarios mentally, if not in a press release. Yeah, he has ties to this area, but there's reasons people leave home to work elsewhere.

1. He's making closer to 3 million than 2 (2.6 I think).

2. I don't blame someone for staying at a place where he can win today and tomorrow as opposed to having to completely rebuild a program in arguably the toughest (or second toughest) basketball league. Another million might not be worth the career risk. Either way, according to those in "the know," it was a tough decision. Eulessismore is absolutely right, some reports have indicated that Mrs. Williams and their kids are more than happy where they are.

Edited by Comet7745

Swing and a miss on Buzz, but that's what happens sometimes when you go elephant hunting in college athletics. Also, I don't see as how this reflects negatively on SMU in any way. If anything it shows that we are ready and willing to make the financial commitment to play with the best in the country. Buzz got what he wanted out of the SMU negotations (i.e. raise and extension) so it was well played by his camp. However, with the kind of $$$ we are throwing out there we will net a quality coach. The 40M renovation to Moody and the 12M Crum Practice Center already on campus are two facilities upgrades that allow SMU to more than hold its own in the Big East. Tough luck on Buzz but this is a guy who turned down opportunities at A&M and OU. On to the next candidate now.

It's only a matter of time before they make a run @ JJ

I think if they get turned down by another coach or two, you may very well be correct. They obviously shot extremely high and are slowly, but surely finding out that no matter how much money you offer, some places are known as coaching black holes.

• Upvote 1

After the trail of candidates that have passed, I would hope that JJ would tell them to roll up their currency, smear a little butter on it, and slip it into their posterior orifice. :ass:

• Upvote 2

Kind of confusing, NT takes all the kids that can't get in anywhere else and is beyond easy, yet three players were academically ineligible. The days of SMU requiring better academic qualifications for their athletes than the norm have been long gone for a number of years. For a school that flaunts their academics, SMU sure has some stupid fans.

I think JJ is a long shot but the more they get turned down the better he must look to them. I don't think he has name enough for the ponies, however he would be gone in a flash with the kind of money they have been flashing.

• Upvote 1

Kind of confusing, NT takes all the kids that can't get in anywhere else and is beyond easy, yet three players were academically ineligible. The days of SMU requiring better academic qualifications for their athletes than the norm have been long gone for a number of years. For a school that flaunts their academics, SMU sure has some stupid fans.

I think JJ is a long shot but the more they get turned down the better he must look to them. I don't think he has name enough for the ponies, however he would be gone in a flash with the kind of money they have been flashing.

SMU had two or three guys that were ineligble just the season before this one. Plus they suck at basketball, at least our flunkies can play ball.

• Upvote 1

I saw Reggie Theus' name mentioned. That would be full circle in my world: he was at NMSU for a bit and Minerdome thought he was laughable.

I fear Reggie Theus. If he can win with this rag tag bunch....

hangtime.jpg

I mean... He did almost all his winning with just 5 kids on the roster! The Big East would be screwed.

Expert's quote on Reggie's outlook as an up-and-coming basketball coach:

"From Season One through Season Three, the head coach of the Deering Tornadoes was Reggie Theus. Yes, THE Reggie Theus. Former Sacramento Kings great. I know what you’re thinking. Most future NBA head coaches would build their résumés at the college level. Not Theus. He did it at a fictional Indiana high school. That’s ballsy."

Edited by Green P1
  • Upvote 1