I made my first official alumni contribution today

oldguystudent

So does that mean I can have a valid opinion now? Good. Here it is:

1) I'll show up at Apogee whether we're playing Texas Southern, LSU, Sunbelt, Alliance, or Denton High.

2) As long as there are bats, gloves, and baseballs involved, I could not care less about the logo on the cap. And for that matter, nor could I not care less about the helmets in football. We're sports fans, not metrosexual fashionistas for Lord's sake!

3) Rick Villareal has been good for UNT. Period.

4) That said, we all make mistakes, and I will hold a lifelong grudge against Todd Dodge and his vaunted football system.

5) Basketball is not my sport. I don't enjoy it. But watching Tony Mitchell play. Well, a beautiful athlete is a beautiful athlete, and Tony is a work of art in motion.

6) I have experienced no problems with parking or tailgating at Apogee, and the walk ain't gonna kill us, tubby.

7) If I found a hundred dollar bill on the ground, I would buy a twelve-pack of 120 minute Dogfish Head IPA and a couple cigars of dubious origin. Somehow, I think this would work regardless of whether the bill was wrinkled or freshly ironed with starch.

8) I loved hanging out in Denton. Potheads and all. It's a great little town.

9) UNT provided me with an education that got me gainfully employed right out the door, and for that I will always be grateful.

This message has been bought and paid for by oldguystudent middleagedguyalumni.

If I could give you multiple plus 1's I would!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

College hoops can be a BLAST! But it is all about wins and environment! Atmosphere doesn't just exist, it has to be created - especially in a basketball second state like Texas. However, some of the most amazing sports environment I have ever been in are basketball arenas - The Pit and UNLV to be exact. It's all about rowdy, choreographed entertainment and exciting bball. We have an exciting style of bball. We will win in 2012 - 2013. We need choreographed entertainment, prize giveaways, DJ host to get the crowd going, Pit Crew Camp to get that group crazy fired up and organized. An awesome pre and post tailgate party. Okay let the planning begin now.

GMG

• Upvote 1

College hoops can be a BLAST! But it is all about wins and environment! Atmosphere doesn't just exist, it has to be created - especially in a basketball second state like Texas. However, some of the most amazing sports environment I have ever been in are basketball arenas - The Pit and UNLV to be exact. It's all about rowdy, choreographed entertainment and exciting bball. We have an exciting style of bball. We will win in 2012 - 2013. We need choreographed entertainment, prize giveaways, DJ host to get the crowd going, Pit Crew Camp to get that group crazy fired up and organized. An awesome pre and post tailgate party. Okay let the planning begin now.

GMG

Agree except for the DJ part. It's not just that I love the band, which I xo, and think that the band gives the game a true college feel, but I also HATE freaking d-bag DJs. You should have watched the UALR feed. Terrible.

Plus, it reminds me of the NBE, which is just sacrilege.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

This is very possibilly the greatest post I've ever read on GMG. Especially point #1.

Welcome to the 'alum' side of Apogee.

GO MEAN GREEN

Joe, I believe you know where I worked during school. Choosing to dump my life at 36 years of age, go back to school, and start all over, caused some dark, dark times for me. I lost pretty much everything that I ever was. But there were people here who stuck by me and supported me even when I lapsed and bit the very hands that fed me.

There were professors in the accounting department who took it upon themselves as a personal mission to see to it that I came out of this not just alive, but a better person than I was when I started. They succeeded in their mission.

I may have gone to one of those "public ivies" for undergrad, but those guys never, ever showed any caring about what I became once I left. My experience at UNT has been something I never expected, and it felt pretty damn good to write that check today. I believe I have an obligation to see to it that UNT continues to take its primary mission of taking young people and turning them into quality professionals, and good human beings so personally.

• Upvote 6

Very cool. Thanks for sharing.

The DJ I speak about is a local DJ from one of the stations in Las Vegas. He bleeds Rebel bball and simply conducts the timeout activities and promos. He introduces the kids who do the dress and shoot for the McDonalds meal promo. He introduces the shooting contest - layup, free throw, three point line and mid court shot for 500. However, after the Rebels cause the opponent to take a TO before introducing the activity he states - "HOW ABOUT THAT REBEL DEFENSE!!!!!!" At times he will say, "REBEL FANS ON YOUR FEEEEEET!" He calls out THE REBELLION (student section) and fires them into a frenzy. His consistent voice and energy fits nicely into the game experience. He doesn't overtalk and the band still plays, the Rebel Girls still dance, the Cheerleaders still break the arena into four and shout U-N-L-V. It is just GAME ATMOSPHERE ON - an excellent coreographed event from beginning to end (Power Intro and indoor fireworks at the front - Sinatra closing song at the end). I was a season ticket holder for the first time and it sure was an incredible entertainment value.

Now GO BAYLOR!!!!! Darn CU took out the Rebels too early this year!

GMG

• Upvote 2

So does that mean I can have a valid opinion now? Good. Here it is:

1) I'll show up at Apogee whether we're playing Texas Southern, LSU, Sunbelt, Alliance, or Denton High.

I rarely missed a home game, or a conference road game for that matter, during our 1-AA years. And I always found it odd that some people thought that staying away because we were in a 1-AA conference was somehow going to benefit the program in the long run.

2) As long as there are bats, gloves, and baseballs involved, I could not care less about the logo on the cap. And for that matter, nor could I not care less about the helmets in football. We're sports fans, not metrosexual fashionistas for Lord's sake!

Agree. But I would hope that they would keep the hat design simple.

3) Rick Villareal has been good for UNT. Period.

Well, he is better than the previous AD.

4) That said, we all make mistakes, and I will hold a lifelong grudge against Todd Dodge and his vaunted football system.

Well, you can blame Todd Dodge all you want, but Todd Dodge is Todd Dodge, and he didn't hire himself. And there is never any doubt as to what offense he was/is going to run. I blame the person that hired him, and then subsequently allowed him to bring his whole HS assistant coaching staff with him. If I blame Todd Dodge for anything, it's for not retaining the previous DC.

5) Basketball is not my sport. I don't enjoy it. But watching Tony Mitchell play. Well, a beautiful athlete is a beautiful athlete, and Tony is a work of art in motion.

I'll have to try that some time. Before he goes to the NBA.

6) I have experienced no problems with parking or tailgating at Apogee, and the walk ain't gonna kill us, tubby.

Agree with this. But then, I'm a MGC member and park in the blue/red area.

7) If I found a hundred dollar bill on the ground, I would buy a twelve-pack of 120 minute Dogfish Head IPA and a couple cigars of dubious origin. Somehow, I think this would work regardless of whether the bill was wrinkled or freshly ironed with starch.

The $100 dollar adage is not about finding a $100 bill, it goes "If someone was standing on a busy corner in the middle of the North Texas campus, handing out $100 bills, eventually some of the students would bitch that their's was wrinkled".

So, if someone handed you a $100 bill, you would spend it on IPA's?!?! :blink: Damn! that's worse than bitching about the bill being wrinkled..... B).... :rolleyes:

8) I loved hanging out in Denton. Potheads and all. It's a great little town.

Mostly agree.

9) UNT provided me with an education that got me gainfully employed right out the door, and for that I will always be grateful.

Agree. My education experience at NT was first rate.

This message has been bought and paid for by oldguystudent middleagedguyalumni.

This post has been promoted to an article

• Upvote 1

Hey MiddleAgedGuyAlumni glad to hear you've accomPlished your goal. Welcome to the Mean Green Family. Like any family it's dysfunctional. Just remember who and what we support, our university, it's athletic teams and hopefully we meet some cool brothers and sisters along the way.

• Upvote 2

Very cool. Thanks for sharing.

The DJ I speak about is a local DJ from one of the stations in Las Vegas. He bleeds Rebel bball and simply conducts the timeout activities and promos. He introduces the kids who do the dress and shoot for the McDonalds meal promo. He introduces the shooting contest - layup, free throw, three point line and mid court shot for 500. However, after the Rebels cause the opponent to take a TO before introducing the activity he states - "HOW ABOUT THAT REBEL DEFENSE!!!!!!" At times he will say, "REBEL FANS ON YOUR FEEEEEET!" He calls out THE REBELLION (student section) and fires them into a frenzy. His consistent voice and energy fits nicely into the game experience. He doesn't overtalk and the band still plays, the Rebel Girls still dance, the Cheerleaders still break the arena into four and shout U-N-L-V. It is just GAME ATMOSPHERE ON - an excellent coreographed event from beginning to end (Power Intro and indoor fireworks at the front - Sinatra closing song at the end). I was a season ticket holder for the first time and it sure was an incredible entertainment value.

Now GO BAYLOR!!!!! Darn CU took out the Rebels too early this year!

GMG

Don't know if you've heard, but we have "OOFFFFFFFFFIIIIIIIIIICIIIIALLLLLLLLLLLL" timeouts.