SBC Staffer in Hot Springs: "North Texas Is Gone!"

Not that this means much of anything, other than MTSU's beat writer has just recently tweeted the same rumor.

I'll believe it when there's a press conference held at the AC..........until then will continue to just be optimistic.

Adam Sparks Tweet

This tweet was generated at 1pm today.

Me thinks his "source" for this rumor is this very thread.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

New SBC commish said departures were "not imminent" but also it's a compliment to SBC if schools move on. I'm not convinced UNT/FIU staying

http://twitter.com/#!/adamsparks

The MTSU homers responding to his tweet are shocked (shocked, I tell ya) that NT may be more desireable than MTSU.

Edited by NorthTexan95

Stupid question, any idea when the powers that be might announce the schools moving into the new conference? I read somewhere possibly before May 1st???

There is a goal to have all the details worked out and schools signed on for the new conference by May 1st - hopefully it won't drag on much past that. I would assume new schools will not be added until after all of this is finalized.

There is a goal to have all the details worked out and schools signed on for the new conference by May 1st - hopefully it won't drag on much past that. I would assume new schools will not be added until after all of this is finalized.

While I agree that there won't be any added before May 1st that doesn't mean that there won't be some (or all) selected. In fact, the conference needs to know how many will be in each division so that the network of interdivisional play can be established. Also, who and how many could have a bearing on the TV contract so at least the key teams have likely agreed in principle by now. I would expect that is a reason for secrecy/silence.

I am concerned for the Sun Belt if the "National" Conference goes to 24. That would mean the addition of eight teams. If North Texas and FIU are indeed two of them that would still leave six slots to fill. At the moment it appears that no more than three will come from the WAC. That would leave three more slots to fill and, unless the Alliance wants to consider FCS teams, all will no doubt come from the Sun Belt. Commissioner Benson needs to get an early start on this.

In my opinion, the new alliance should stop at 20 for now. That's four five-team divisions. You'd play the other four in your division, two from the other east division and one from each of the other divisions. That would make it seem like one conference rather than four. They can add teams and change the style of play later.

I truely believe there have been secret talks with Rick, the Conference USA?Aliance people

behind the scenes. The Aliance personel have been and toured the University I guess in

an undercover mode since very few people saw them. Supposidly it was between 10-20 people

so how could that have been missed. I believe we are already offered a place in the super

conference and are just biding our time until it is announced. Just remember Southern Miss

and Rick Villareal have a long past history, therefore, we have a inside with them. Also, it

is known that Rice and UTEP want someone else in Texas to be a short travel distance (Who else

fits that bill better than North Texas). I farther believe that Brett knows more than he is

telling becasue he is sworn to secrecy and is afraid he won't be given any more inside info if

he talks or lets it be known. There are just too many roumors out there for there not to be

something to this. The superconference has to have someone in the Dallas Market especially

since the league office is in Irving (Las Colinas). It would be a farce to have the league

office there and there not to be a team in the area.

I think there is one other thing we haven't thought a lot about with this coming. I think we

will end up with a better class and higher efficiency bunch of football and basketball

referees. We alwauys complain about the poor officiating in our league. I have watched some

conference USA games on T V and it seems the class of officiating is just a notch higher

in that league. Only time will tell, but I would nearly make a wager come May North Texas

will be in a new league. Why else would the conference officials be talking to us yesterday

in private trying to head something off at the pass before it happened. North Texas is gone,

yes gone to the Conference USA with teams we will be able to create rivalries with such as

UTEP and Rice.

GO NORTH TEXAS .............. GO MEAN GREAN

HOW ABOUT IT THERE IN DALLAS ......If you read this you know who I am talking to.

• Upvote 2

It's interesting how the content of the rumor determines how valid it's perceived to be.

If a rumor that SFA & Abilene Christian were being invited to the 'Belt was being reported by these same sources, I imagine it would be discounted as false immediately.

I, for one, appreciate Vito's committment to reporting solid intel only.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I truely believe there have been secret talks with Rick, the Conference USA?Aliance people

behind the scenes. The Aliance personel have been and toured the University I guess in

an undercover mode since very few people saw them. Supposidly it was between 10-20 people

so how could that have been missed. I believe we are already offered a place in the super

conference and are just biding our time until it is announced. Just remember Southern Miss

and Rick Villareal have a long past history, therefore, we have a inside with them. Also, it

is known that Rice and UTEP want someone else in Texas to be a short travel distance (Who else

fits that bill better than North Texas). I farther believe that Brett knows more than he is

telling becasue he is sworn to secrecy and is afraid he won't be given any more inside info if

he talks or lets it be known. There are just too many roumors out there for there not to be

something to this. The superconference has to have someone in the Dallas Market especially

since the league office is in Irving (Las Colinas). It would be a farce to have the league

office there and there not to be a team in the area.

I think there is one other thing we haven't thought a lot about with this coming. I think we

will end up with a better class and higher efficiency bunch of football and basketball

referees. We alwauys complain about the poor officiating in our league. I have watched some

conference USA games on T V and it seems the class of officiating is just a notch higher

in that league. Only time will tell, but I would nearly make a wager come May North Texas

will be in a new league. Why else would the conference officials be talking to us yesterday

in private trying to head something off at the pass before it happened. North Texas is gone,

yes gone to the Conference USA with teams we will be able to create rivalries with such as

UTEP and Rice.

GO NORTH TEXAS .............. GO MEAN GREAN

HOW ABOUT IT THERE IN DALLAS ......If you read this you know who I am talking to.

Not talking or not talking ON THE RECORD ?

"UNT officials are not talking on the record, but we know that officials from schools that are going to be in the Alliance have visited UNT and Apogee Stadium"

Edited by MeanGreen61

Assuming this all goes through, what Plumm threads will I have to look forward to moving forward?

He's already started a baseball stadium thread.

He's already started a baseball stadium thread.

Having been at the Grand Opening of the Houston Astrodome on April, 9,1965, was very inspirational (and among many highlights that evening was getting to see "the Mick" hit the first "dome run") but that is all I am going to say about domes for now.:rolleyes:

GMG!

PS: "bez'ball has been veddy' good to me." (from SNL in the Early Years)

Mean Green men's varsity baseball will happen.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1